It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump says he'll 'open up' libel laws if he's elected - USA Today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump promised Friday that the media would have major problems if he wins the presidency.

“If I become president, oh, do they have problems,’’ Trump said at a campaign rally in Fort Worth, Texas.

Trump, a candidate for the Republican nomination who is leading in the polls, threatened to “open up our libel laws’’ under his administration and make the media pay a hefty price for writing “hit’’ pieces.

“This is only going to make it tougher for me, and I’ve never said this before,’’ Trump told the crowd. “I’m going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles we can sue them and win lots of money.’’

Trump says he'll 'open up' libel laws if he's elected

I can't even genuinely express how many different things are Constitutionally wrong with these few lines by Mr. Trump.

I'll start here:

1. The President of the United States doesn't "make laws" remember?

2. The First Amendment guarantees Freedom of the Press ... not Freedom of the Press That Kisses Trump's rump.

3. Put as succinctly as possible ... What in The holy French Onion Dip is the guy thinking??

What say you ATS?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Sometimes I love him...

Sometimes he is every bit of a Buffoon as he looks when his hair flails and he puckers his lips.

This is one of the latter times.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Well if it's a "common sense" change to an existing right provided by the Constitution, the Left should fully support him.

Shouldn't they?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

Well if it's a "common sense" change to an existing right provided by the Constitution, the Left should fully support him.

Shouldn't they?

Depends on whether a given leftist holds our Constitution in high regard or not.

As one who does, I find it appalling.

Is that really your only concern with what Mr. Trump said, or the implications of it???

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I hope he does. We don't have a freedom of Press any longer.

What we have is only a propaganda media, and I turned mine off over 12 years ago.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I agree the President does not make laws.. I also agree there seemed to be more truth in reporting .. We have all seen blatant lies published and the writers when caught just say "Oops sorry" and put an apology (if any) back on page 99. This campaign has already had it's fair share..

That is a double edge sword. I would rather have something that comes into effect that when purposeful slander is used and is false then the perps are fined.. Oh can't do that probably more than half the administrations would be fining themselves over all the war propaganda.. Forget I said anything ! hahah

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I hear you Charlie. Yesterday, I had almost convinced myself to reregister Republican and vote for him ... just because there really IS a side of me that wants to see the outdated-medieval-pseudo-feudal-BS-factory burn ... but then ... the human side of me kicks in ...

There is such a thing as too much Chaos at once. Maybe I'm just getting old.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Libel laws are in place and have been.

We have reached a Constitutional balance between freedom and the rule-of-law.

There is no need for Trump's "fixes" ...

There is no such thing as "taking just a little Liberty away ..."

(Gods it feels good to be able to argue in line with my true feelings again, LOL)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958

What we have is only a propaganda media, and I turned mine off over 12 years ago.

So ... because you agree with the media (any media?) there's no Freedom of the Press?

You hope that a President of the United States issues some sort of Executive Orders curtailing the Freedom of the Press????

Amazing.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So if his plans get enacted, does this mean people get to start suing him for the #ty things he says about them?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

He would have executive orders and he has the i dont give a f attitude with resources to make things happen.

He is very dangerous and i could see going full retard on us.

The enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

He would have executive orders and he has the i dont give a f attitude with resources to make things happen.

He is very dangerous and i could see going full retard on us.

The enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend.

I absolutely agree.

If you haven't, check out his Facebook page ... scroll down to look for "Day One of a Trump Presidency"

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958

He says he is a "NICE GUY" and not litigious yet threatens laws suits to all that oppose him (like throwing rice at a wedding). A 12 year old (emotionally) privileged school yard bully has the ear of the GOP?
edit on 28-2-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I hear you Charlie. Yesterday, I had almost convinced myself to reregister Republican and vote for him ... just because there really IS a side of me that wants to see the outdated-medieval-pseudo-feudal-BS-factory burn ... but then ... the human side of me kicks in ...

There is such a thing as too much Chaos at once. Maybe I'm just getting old.

The checks and balances in our form of government will wear many of the pointy edges off Trump if he ever gets into office. I can just imagine the news conferences he would hold telling the American people why some of his less than well thought out plans are not being allowed to come to ruination.... The other choice the main stream juggernaut is trying to lead people to is Hilary. As far as I am concerned her and her husband should have a nice room in club fed Leavenworth ..... Rex the wonder dog would be better than her if for no other reason than principle.. I suppose I have more faith in our government and how it works than many people.. right or wrong...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
More from the USA Today article in the OP:

Trump said that under his administration, if the New York Times “writes a hit piece, which is total disgrace, or when the Washington Post, which is there for other reasons, writes a hit piece, we can sue them and win money instead of having no chance of winning because they’re totally protected.'

“You see, with me, they’re not protected,’’ he said.

I genuinely have no words for once.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

WINNING is important to him FOREMOST; forget the free press or first article of the Constitution. Chris Christie as Attorney General would be McCarthyism all over again.
edit on 28-2-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: 727Sky

Libel laws are in place and have been.

We have reached a Constitutional balance between freedom and the rule-of-law.

There is no need for Trump's "fixes" ...

There is no such thing as "taking just a little Liberty away ..."

(Gods it feels good to be able to argue in line with my true feelings again, LOL)

Trump's yammering comes from a place of constitutional ignorance, and it appears he once again engages his mouth before thinking. Doesn't his handlers act in a filter capacity? Does he believe with a lead so big over the other candidates he can verbalize anything that comes to mind and suffer no repercussions? Or is it merely for shock value?

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

“I’m going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles

Dear Mr Trump,

I hope your libel cases extend to candidates running for the oval office because I'm sure Megan Kelly, when she's not menstruating, would like to explore her options regarding "purposely negative and horrible" statements you made against her.

Sounds like you need to toughen up princess and learn how to take the medicine you so eagerly dish out on others.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Trump loves to talk trash but, and like any bully, when the tables are turned you see how sensitive he is. He can dish it out but definitely can't take it.

And people really want this weak man to be president. Btw, he fully supports our current Big Brother system. But rights be damned, lets vote for a loud mouth with no vision, just ridiculous empty promises.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

We clearly have freedom of press but we also have a corrupt media machine owned and operated by a few elites. Trumps plan here will only help the elites, not that he can snap his fingers and make up laws.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join