It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana use in ancient Egypt.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Those dang Egyptians! I found that the article basically "case & point"-s today's overview on the healing properties of the cannabis!

The Egyptian people were smart. Distribution and taxes on the loco.... we could definitely learn from or friends In The desert!

There is abundant evidence to show that marijuana was in use as a natural product in ancient Egypt. Egyptologists confirm that the uses for this versatile plant ranged from religious use to practical uses in everyday life such as fabric manufacture. It was also widely used as a natural treatment for different ailments.

One of the most convincing confirmations that marijuana was in use in ancient Egypt is that in the third century AD, the Roman emperor Aurelian imposed a tax on Egyptian cannabis.

L I N K

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Or rather... Smoke like one baby
edit on 28-2-2016 by Esoterotica because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
That is your source?
Really?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
MJ yes...taxes no.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Interesting. I don't know much about the history of marijuanna and thought the Mexicans discovered it along with Paodi.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Tucket

Sadly, the government has a stranglehold on legal addiction (alcohol, tobacco, gambling), so it will be taxed

edit on 28-2-2016 by Autorico because: added legal

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Makes one wonder if the ancient Egyptians smoked up, gobbled honey drenched dates and dreamed of a society where folks could communicate instantaneously with others across the world, be free of many diseases and live past the ripe age of thirty and drove horseless chariots around...?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
seems as good a source as any. a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

We had this discussion in other threads, but we guessed that this may be the 7 leaved plant that seemed to have some important significance.to the ancient peoples.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DonVoigt
There is no set number of leaf fingers in cannabis. Five, seven, nine, more. It depends on the strain.

That plant is probably a lotus flower, btw.

edit on 2/28/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Perhaps it had something to do with being able to fathom those awesome pyramids and carry out the task

Thanks for posting

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Cannabis is often used as a medicine in traditional cultures but that article is overreaching badly. And the kind of hemp used for industrial purposes has almost no THC in it.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
In fact, there's zero evidence for the Egyptians using hemp either as a drug (they used lotus instead) or for rope. There are no hemp ropes from pharonic times, and the presence of hashish in one mummy is due to contamination during its unwrapping.

There was a presentation about this myth at a recent ARCE conference - very entertaining and went over all the evidence (there was none) and the rise of the myth (starts in the 1980's) of ancient Egyptians using marijuana (they used wine and lotus instead.)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Absolutely there are many possibilities , I don't exactly remember which thread it was but I believe it was titled use of marijuana in the ancient world, and your absolutely right a lot if members contributed a lot if different possibilities, I just threw out the one that I remembered first.

new topics

top topics

join