It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Dream Cabins: which one would you choose? (PIC HEAVY)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Alright ATS. I've scouted out some very cool, humble, modern, rustic, unique, terrifying, and awesome 'cabins' (with quotations because some of them arguably aren't cabins at all) for you to choose from.

So, we'll play a little game. There are 26 cabins to choose from, located all over the world. You get to choose your top 2, in order from most wanted to second most wanted, and a 3rd cabin that you would never... ever... NOT IN YOUR LIFETIME... choose

Let us know what made you choose the cabins you did, and if you have any pictures of your own, actual cabin, let us see what you've got!

When making your choices, don't value money as a reason. Assume you've inherited these cabins and also an airline to fly you there and back whenever you want. These are "weekend" or "week long" vacation cabins, which would you choose?

I'd definitely go with both the Sweden’s Isolated State Secret island cabin for the privacy, and the Next Level Tiny House for it's freedom and sustainability! But no lighthouse!

This awesome lodge is in low population (as in 160 people) Ophir, Colorado. You'll need to hike 3 and a half miles to get to it. Sitting at a 'low' 12,000 foot altitude.

A roomy 160 square foot of portable awesomeness. Bring this tiny cabin anywhere you want! It's customized, but they come ready for summer or winter use, with recycled insulation that gives R values of R22 in the walls, R30 in the floor, and R40 in the ceiling. It has baseboard heat, solar, and off-grid capabilities.

Don't let the sight of it fool you, this was built in a classical sense. A nice humble cabin in the woods of North Carolina

Sitting in a California redwood forest, this simply cabin is only 10 minutes away from the coast, the Russian River is a also a stone’s throw, and the redwoods are right outside!

This originally was a small cabin, but grew and grew over top of the old structure, refurbishing it and expanding it as the family too expanded

A beautiful Norwegian lodge built to mimic the surrounding landscape.

A hillside, stilted, volcano, lake view modern Patagonia getaway

The photographer Felix Odell won’t say exactly where it is, and a story he shot for Monocle magazine doesn’t identify it, either. But that’s exactly how it should be, because this Scandinavian shelter can stand in for all summer retreats, symbolizing refuge and serving to fuel dreams of escape without being grounded in any one place.

The treehouse’s name – get this – is “The Blue Cone.” Huh? Anyway, the 236-square-foot cabin wouldn’t project so much confidence it it weren’t for complete and utter commitment it makes to the color red. Not a speck of exterior wood isn’t knee-deep in the scarlet side of the color wheel.

Every square-inch of the 100-square-foot Ecocapsule, created by Nice Architects is designed for energy efficiency and comfort – assuming it’s just you and one friend, that is. Somehow, in each of these futuristic, egg-shaped pods, the designers have managed to fit in a kitchenette with running water, a toilet, a hot shower, a bed, and storage. Yes, the heavens did indeed just let loose with a little song: There is room for gear.

Four hundred meters above the fertile floor are a few decidedly non-Incan artifacts that look like they came more from the mind of James Bond’s Q than an ancient civilization. They are essentially clear, bubble portaledges called Skylodge Adventure Suites, and for $300-plus per night, you can sleep in your very own. That price includes transportation from Cusco, snacks, a gourmet dinner on the mountaintop, and a night’s stay.

They call Urnatur, in Ödeshög, Sweden, a “wood hermitage” or an eco lodge. It sounds like more of an artist compound or ecological think tank. It looks like it was the inspiration for Snow White and Seven Dwarfs. In other words, Urnatur comes across as the ultimate in relaxation, personal expression, and off the grid living – with a magical fairy twist, no less.

The Last Hurrah Cabin, southwest of Moab, Utah, does a chameleon-worthy job of blending in to the red rock country hillside, and delivers a desert getaway that is resource-wise and off the grid.

(continued in next post)
edit on 28/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

One hotel has decided not only to follow suit in building low-key palapas but also to actively lead the community in expanding the existing commitment to sustainable tourism and ecological responsibility. The Papaya Playa Project began the “United for Tulum” initiative in 2011 to celebrate the town’s “fusion of nature, leisure, and spirituality,” and to safeguard those qualities in perpetuity.

DO Architects, a young Lithuanian firm, is proposing an entire seaside village of upright circle houses, called “Rolling Homes.” The name is more emblematic of the visceral reaction to the homes than what will actually happen; the houses will not roll. They will, however, flood with light from both sides and protect the inhabitant’s privacy from the solid round walls that face the neighbors. There is mention of a telescoping option, which we can only imagine means you’ll have the option of pushing several circles together, like your own stack of house-size pancakes turned on edge.

Geneva-based architect Bureau A writes, “The mountains have the power to call for feelings of fascination and fear at the same time. Switzerland has a strong tradition of observing the Alps, living with them, hiding inside them. The awe and the anxiety that this monumental landscape appeals is reflected in the writings of Charles-Ferdinand Ramuz, one of the most important Swiss writers. His novels, Derborence, describes the massive rock fall that covered the pastures of the valley of Lizerne in 1714. Antoine, the main character, survives seven weeks under the rocks before he manages to reach his village, and life.”
The cabin is part of an exhibition called Mutations: Contemporary Sculpture in Context, which runs through July 5, 2016.

Ok…. not a cabin… but you could buy it anyways and make it a weekend getaway!!!

Minots Ledge Lighthouse, a 114-foot-tall tower located on a treacherous, barely submerged reef of rock, and it’s up for auction by the U.S. government, with an opening price of $10,000. In five years, there hasn’t been a single bid.

The three room “estate” is not a single treehouse, but rather three separate tree-rooms connected by rope bridges. There is a living area with room to entertain up to five of your closest friends, a bedroom where the bed is not confined to the indoors, and an al fresco relaxation area, complete with hammock.

Also, not really a cabin. but assume it’s all yours!

Scheduled to be built by 2017, the Krystall Hotel is shaped like a snowflake, will have 86 rooms, sport a glass roof, and float atop sea water in one of the many fjords near Tromsø.
Although these images are just renderings, Krystall is more than just a flight of fancy. Dutch Docklands is a leader in building floating structures, including a far larger project in the Maldives. And architect Koen Olthuis says floating buildings are a glimpse of the post-global warming world.

This jetliner is the retreat of retired engineer Bruce Campbell, who bought and outfitted the airplane for almost $250,000.

Located in West Virginia at the Summit Bechtel Reserve, the treehouse is 125 feet high, with 5,500 square feet of floor space divided between interior and decks, and it’s built to be a teaching lab for environmental issues (as well as a companion to the new Sustainability merit badge). Drafted by Seattle architects Mithun with collaboration from several design shops, the treehouse is “net zero” — the toilets are composting, most of the materials used came from or near the site itself, and what little power it draws is supplied by solar and wind. Water comes from a very cool rain collection system: It spills from the roof in a cascading chain of metal camp cups, which helps clean it on its way to the cistern.

Another could-be cabin getaway!

Not much can surpass the 105-foot-diameter urethane igloo on the road to Denali National Park for pure Alaskan kitsch, and as souvenirs go, it sure would trump a polar bear keychain. And it can be yours for just $300,000.

Australia has its Great Ocean Road, and the most distinctive structure along its 151 miles is the “Pole House,” a one-bedroom tower of modernism erected 132 feet above the highway. Built in 1978, the house recently underwent a five-year reconstruction that turned it from a rattletrap pile of wood and roofing tiles to a modernist luxury crib that rents for about $2,500 a week.

Artist Stephen Turner built the Exbury Egg as an experiment in observation of climate change. How he’s doing this isn’t exactly clear — or rather, he’s spending a year working in and around the egg, which is moored on Beaulieu River in Exbury, England, but how the informs the study of climate change other than recording the tidal marks left on the egg isn’t clearly enunciated. Art is not a science, after all.

There you have it! which two of these amazing, unique cabins would you get? and which one would you NEVER want?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I like the Classical.

It reminds me of the cabin Ash visited in Evil Dead.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Awwwwwwwww!!!!!! Give me that Pole House!!!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Love the A-frame and tree house! Lot of interesting pics!

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I like the A-Frame cabin in California, but the Giant Alaskan igloo is the winner for me. Just imagine all that space.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Amazing, there's something for everyone!

I like the Acrylic Portaledge Camp that are built into the cliffs. What a view! Only problem, it would be one heck of a hike and climb to go fishing nearby. I like the Sustainable Treehouse too! Living up in the trees, I still have that little kid in me. Who never wanted a tree house?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

All right, here's my two: 1) Ultimate Ski Hut - Looks like it would have a fantastic view and nobody around for miles. 2) Pole House- Same reason. The Place I wouldn't touch? I'll go with Rock Cabin- looks like it's about ready to fall over LOL. Though the Lighthouse came a close second in this category. How in the H did they manage to build that there? Wow.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
LOL, I was think of Cabin in the woods.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I couldn't choose by cabin without floor plans.

By location, I'd go for 'Classic build' or 'Sweden’s Isolated State Secret', on the grounds that they have land resources and they're seemingly remote.

edit on 2/28/2016 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

1. Pole House (the beach)
2. Papaya Playa (pretty sure there's a beach there!)

Never in a million years:
3. The lighthouse in Mass...I love the ocean but, I don't want to crash into it in the middle of the night.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I'd have one like 'bear claw' Chris Lapp's and be just as insane...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I would have to choose:

1) Sweden’s Isolated State Secret!

2) The Classical

And the absolute no-no of the lot?
3) That Lighthouse

top topics

join