It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a toilet not a restroom, get over yourselves! ...and other annoying Americanisms

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: grainofsand
I always thought it was scheissenhaus...but then I only learned Welsh, English, and a bit of French.

I hear the French affectionately refer to using the toilet as 'Prendre l'Anglais à la piscine'.

Ooh, harsh!

I always tell French people I am Gallois (Welsh) when they ask if I'm Anglais. The difference in friendly reception is shockingly instant and impressive every time I've travelled or worked there.
Bit of history still in the blood between England and France lol

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I always tell French people I am Gallois (Welsh) when they ask if I'm Anglais. The difference in friendly reception is shockingly instant and impressive every time I've travelled or worked there.
Bit of history still in the blood between England and France lol

Not surprised. But then again a recent survey of the French found that the majority of the French did not like the French.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Not surprised. But then again a recent survey of the French found that the majority of the French did not like the French.

Lol, honestly though the reaction is massively different sometimes when I've said I'm Welsh, our nations know each other from rugby, we beat them in a six nations match this weekend.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

A toilet is the thing you sit on when you pee or poop...the Restroom is the room that it is in. I think the reason it`s called a Restroom, is because the name started while these (Rooms that have toilets in them) were built at Rest Stops, for the traveler. Its just easier to say than (Rooms that have toilets in them). I have a follow up question. Why does this matter so much to you? This seems like a very trivial thing to fixate on, and to be disgusted with another nation for.

Source: Dictionary.com

“Toilet- a bathroom fixture consisting of a bowl, usually with a detachable, hinged seat and lid, and a device for flushing with water, used for defecation and urination.“
edit on 28-2-2016 by IlluminatiTechnician because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

We do have those. They are called bidets. Get one and stop whining. You can get one that dries you and sprays perfume on you while playing Beethoven if you want. Depends on how much money you want to spend. I personally wash my hands afterwards and I'm fine. Also keep wet wipes in the bathroom for certain things. No need to turn a simple trip to the bathroom into a major ordeal. Use, clean, go. God.

edit on 2/28/2016 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
When I was in Germany, the toilet was simply called the "toilette", like nearly everywhere else. But what was amusing was when I went into a Mexican restaurant in Germany and asked them to tell me what was in a certain dish. They thought I asked them to translate the menu. And she said, well that has "aubergine" in it.....which is "Egglant". I found that funny. Then I noticed she had an American accent.

What annoys me are those who complain about "Americanisms" that AREN'T American. I remember growing up in north-west England, and calling pants "pants" and underwear "underpants". Yet when I went down south, they call "pants";"trousers" and "underpants";"pants". They asked me why I was "being American" because I was referring to them different. Yet, that's what I grew up calling them, that's what my mother called them, my grandmother etc. English is spoken differently throughout England.

Also, spelling words like civilise and realise as civilize and realize. Spelling words ending with -ise like -ize is called "Oxford English". Noah Webster just decided to adopt the Oxford-English spelling only, while we British are still undecided which one to adopt.

And Words like Trash, Garbage, Soccer and Fall (to refer to Autumn) are not American words. Next time someone complains about Americans calling it soccer, just realIZE that it was some English University that came up with the word.

Also, Herb, the British pronounce it with a H, whereas the Americans don't. It was actually pronounced that way years ago in England. Even making the "t" sounds like a "d" in words like "water" is actually the way it was pronounced in England years ago. And still is in rural areas.

And the word Aluminum, the guy who discovered it was British. Who coined the term "Alumium" and then "Aluminum". He preferred to settle on "Aluminum" but his fellow british scientists wanted the element to sound more classical so they wanted "Aluminium". Again....both words are English.

edit on 28 2 2016 by Debunkology because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: IlluminatiTechnician
Why does this matter so much to you? This seems like a very trivial thing to fixate on, and to be disgusted with another nation for.

Lol who's "disgusted with another nation" and fixating?
This is a pisstake thread for amusement and has been a chuckle for a few people including myself.
Did you only read the OP

...interesting points prior to that though so nice one.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I didn't realise you could crap in the bidet too..... But thanks for telling me what I already knew but was completely irrelevant as we were talking about public toilets...

And it's not that it's an ordeal, it's that it's not only inefficient but also rather unhygienic

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

"I'm going to hospital" is the same kind of statement as "I'm going to school".

That makes more sense to me now. Thanks for that! Isn't that bizarre how we always say going to school, but never say going to hospital. It was always THE hospital. LOL

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Debunkology
What annoys me are those who complain about "Americanisms" that AREN'T American.

That is a good point. It seems that some "Americanisms" are just survivals which used to be normal in England, but have gone out of use.
You have already mentioned "soccer" and "fall".
Another example; my Devon grandmother pronounced the last letter of the alphabet just as Americans do, "zee" rather than "zed" (this always puzzled me at the time).

edit on 28-2-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Night Star

Haha it has been a chuckle so thanks to you and everyone who has replied.
...maybe our doctors back in the day were just acting like they knew what they were doing so the word 'theatre' stuck?!
Funny how US English written language forgot how to spell it correctly

I always spell faery and not fairy. And I prefer colour to color. Yes, it's weird how we both speak and write English yet it's so different.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
And between "a coffee" and "some coffee".

In New Jersey the proper pronunciation is 'some cawfee'. Adding the words 'and hurry the eff up!' will typically see your order expedited over other diners of whatever fine establishment you happen to be patronizing.

Hahahaha! Cawfee. You are certainly my fellow New Englander!

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Hahahaha! Cawfee. You are certainly my fellow New Englander!

I most certainly am not. You weirdos pronounce it 'cahfee'.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

it's that it's not only inefficient but also rather unhygienic

I just get tired of people posting on 'toilet' threads with a superior attitude because of the way they use the toilet and take care of their personal hygiene.
I'm sure there are many techniques. I recommend everybody choose one and get over themselves. I am not dirty when I leave the bathroom. You do what you need to do to make sure you aren't. Whatever blows your skirt up. Which ever you choose in no way makes you superior, just different.

I didn't realise you could crap in the bidet too.....

Not that I said that, clearly I did not, but fyi you can buy them as one. Press a lever and it raises a sprayer. God.

edit on 2/28/2016 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
In America my man. In America they say " Restrooms" Everywhere you go. Even the places that want let you use them say" No public restrooms"....... "a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I just get tired of people posting on 'toilet' threads with a superior attitude because of the way they use the toilet and take care of their personal hygiene.

Honestly?!!! You've had 'toilet thread' issues???
Lol, this was a tongue in cheek rant thread and the first toilet thread I've been involved with.
I guess its a life issue for us all

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
In America my man. In America they say " Restrooms" Everywhere you go. Even the places that want let you use them say" No public restrooms"....... "a reply to: grainofsand

You know what, since starting this silly rant I think I may be coming round and seeing the light about the 'restroom' term.
I've sat on the throne many times in work during my life and been in no hurry to get up...definitely a skiving restroom then, especially in the days you could smoke in toilets lol
edit on 28.2.2016 by grainofsand because: fix crap grammar

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Well we won't even get into pop, soda, coke, et al. Which pray tell is the Americanism there?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

That's very big of you.
I say restroom because it is the least lude of all available options; I guess it's a perceived manners thing. I don't give a crap what people call it, & don't care to think too much on the topic of people using it.

I find people who say words wrong ie "supposably" to be much more loathsome & rant worthy.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Well we won't even get into pop, soda, coke, et al. Which pray tell is the Americanism there?

I'm a pop over soda guy who prefers diet coke

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join