It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a toilet not a restroom, get over yourselves! ...and other annoying Americanisms

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I'll bet you;re the kind of guy who announces, "I must go urinate."

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Working so much that using the toilet is the only rest one got from hard manual labor... Restroom. Get it?

It's a lasting zinger that references American workers before labor laws.

Or... Company store anyone?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Nyiah

Wanker is a fantastic word!
It can be used as a friendly banter term when taking the piss out of a mate, or an insult, or a descriptive term for personal activity.
It's a great word.

Hhmm...so, literally, you remove urine (piss) from your sexual partner (mate), perhaps with the use of a catheter?

You can't grasp that a room where a bath is taken and also usually contains a toilet (device for urination and feces disposal) is called a bathroom? Oh yes, nevermind. You also think a cookie or cracker is a "biscuit."

Sigh. It would appear the force is not strong...no, not existant with this one...

It is easy for me to visualize a definition given previously referring to an ass and a hat. If the hat fits...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The toilet is what I defecate into or take a leak into. It is usually white ceramic or porcelain and flushes...
The toilet is usually installed into a room called a bathroom(residential) or restroom(commercial).
If someone asks where the toilet is, it's in the restroom.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
COMFORT ROOM..... OK...After reading 12 pages of this Sh*t...I hope i haven't missed someone else posting this...Currently i live in the Philippines and here they call the place that shall expel bodily waste a "CR" or "Comfort Room"... And why?...i have not the slightest idea. Not only are they(for the majority) not clean, nor comfortable...For most "CR's" in less than fancy locations.. the holding tank for flushing is absent(as is the seat).... the flush happens(?) because there is a bucket full of water under a spigot(if not full of water, open spigot). And you take a pail with a handle..a "Tabo"..(looks more like a huge measuring cup) and pail water into the bowl thus "flushing" There is also no Toilet Paper supplied and there are notices stating "NO paper to be flushed down toilet"(the are all on septic tanks and need pumping) So IF you are equipped with paper you will have to dispose of it in another manner(maybe a waste can)...AND to further confuse this deal.. the FANCY ones with a normal flushing tank(like my own in my house) have a spray hose mounted alongside the throne to do the work of the toilet paper(paper supplied, but with notices to use the waste bin) ...AGAIN HOW? I do not know...from the front? the backside? The splash-back?? eeeewwww....So much confusion...AGAIN "COMFORT ROOM" ETA I use the paper and flush it...i'm a rebel...also look up wikipedia for "tabo" en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 1-3-2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)
...and i usually wait to do business until i get home, or in extreme cases just pay for a meal in a fancy restaurant...
One last edit...remember the toilets with tabo's do not have paper, so do the math...EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Some restrooms actually are places to rest.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: jappee
COMFORT ROOM..... OK...After reading 12 pages of this Sh*t...I hope i haven't missed someone else posting this...Currently i live in the Philippines and here they call the place that shall expel bodily waste a "CR" or "Comfort Room"... And why?...i have not the slightest idea. Not only are they(for the majority) not clean, nor comfortable...For most "CR's" in less than fancy locations.. the holding tank for flushing is absent(as is the seat).... the flush happens(?) because there is a bucket full of water under a spigot(if not full of water, open spigot). And you take a pail with a handle..a "Tabo"..(looks more like a huge measuring cup) and pail water into the bowl thus "flushing" There is also no Toilet Paper supplied and there are notices stating "NO paper to be flushed down toilet"(the are all on septic tanks and need pumping) So IF you are equipped with paper you will have to dispose of it in another manner(maybe a waste can)...AND to further confuse this deal.. the FANCY ones with a normal flushing tank(like my own in my house) have a spray hose mounted alongside the throne to do the work of the toilet paper(paper supplied, but with notices to use the waste bin) ...AGAIN HOW? I do not know...from the front? the backside? The splash-back?? eeeewwww....So much confusion...AGAIN "COMFORT ROOM" ETA I use the paper and flush it...i'm a rebel...also look up wikipedia for "tabo" en.wikipedia.org... i usually wait to do business until i get home, or in extreme cases just pay for a meal in a fancy restaurant... One last edit...remember the toilets with tabo's do not have paper, so do the math...EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW

Haha...I am the Phils, too. Gensan to be specific. Yep, it is the CR here, but I do see signs for restrooms at malls, etc. You reminded of the first time I was here in the Phils and was at someone's house and needed to poop. I went to the CR and noticed the toilet bowl that didn't flush, the spigot, bucket, and tabo. I had no idea what to do and was too embarrassed to ask. I ended up holding it until I got to a hotel. Now, I know what to do.

I have no idea why they call it a comfort room except maybe one thing: when I was in China, public restrooms had flat toilets that required squatting in order to poop. With my bad knee, I found it very uncomfortable. These toilets are elsewhere throughout Indonesia, Middle East, and elsewhere. Maybe the Filipinos thought the Western style toilets were very much more comfortable

edit on 1-3-2016 by gator2001 because: To add

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: jappee

a reply to: gator2001

My wife is from Manila, love the PI, we can't wait to go back.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gator2001
Cool gator, I'm in Alfonso/Tagaytay, Cavite...
It seems plausible... western ones are more comfortable.
When i was a child i grew up in Japan until I was 7-8. Those flat bathrooms(i call them keyholes).. are scary when you are a child. Better have good balance. Especially out in the country outhouses. Small enough to fall in, again eeeewwwww.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
I love it here. I call it the right kinda backwards...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: jappee

What President are you going for?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: kissy princess
I prefer 'restroom' as it is simply polite. We all know what takes place there, but it seems to me that should I ask, "where is the toilet?" I am promoting in the mind's eye of the recipient of my question the very thought of me taking a load off - which while natural & certainly shameless, is still a visual that many people would prefer not to entertain.

The thing is that whatever you call it, that is the image people get anyway. They don't think you are going to the "restroom" for a rest do they?

Toilets to me........but i always liked "crapper" .....after Sir Thomas Crapper......

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I try to squeeze(pun intended) a power nap in every time I go #2, so...debatable!
Anyway what's a loo? Did someone name Loo use the toilet so much they became synonymous? Can we be different?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: humanityrising
The explanation I was taught (old wives' tale or not) was this one;

It's supposed to be an abbreviation for "Gardez l'eau", which is Anglo-French for "Look out for the water!".
As exclaimed by the chambermaid as she emptied the chamber-pot out onto the street.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Mild first world problem rant, although I'm not cross, just irritated.

US people, why do you call it a restroom??!!
Who the # actually goes for a rest in a public toilet? I don't, I go to have a piss or a dump.

I see it all the time on ATS, restroom, bathroom, WTF, when was the last time you saw a bath in a public toilet? Ever see someone chilling out having a rest in a toilet? You know, sat with a newspaper recovering from the stresses of the day like it's a boutique spa? No, it's a toilet, and we use it for perfectly normal bodily functions.

Another one that gets my goat is 'asshat', why hide it with a childlike word such as that, if you mean asshole then call me an asshole, who do you think you're kidding with asshat, and why?

Call a spade a spade, if asshole is what you mean then why shy away with asshat?
If you need a piss why are you embarrassed to ask to use the toilet?

Nobody thinks you are going to the toilet for a rest or a bath so why the stupid word substitution?
Are you really that ashamed of normal bodily functions?

[/rant]

Why is the trunk of a car a "boot"? When was the last time your tried on the trunk of your car?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: chuck258
I offered this suggestion earlier in the thread.

I see I've been volunteered for this query.
I don't actually know, but after a quick glance at the dictionary I hazard a guess that it's an old pronunciation of the word "butt". Either in the current American sense ("rear end"), or in the older sense of "wooden cask", extended to containers in general.

I've also pointed out that we both use the same metaphor about the other end of the car.
The choice is between "bonnet" and "hood", which are both head-coverings.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Asshat is a way to say "you have your head up your ass"

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
TDIL

S + F

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It's not soda, it's not a soft drink, it's not a fizzy drink... it's POP.

edit: The funniest name for the toilet/WC/john is "privy".
edit on 1-3-2016 by Darmok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Darmok
Ah yes, "private place". That one does actually make sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join