It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mech-Robots being built, taking orders

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnnoDomini2
The Control system for that is gonna be a nightmare, its not impossible to make, but keeping the weight down is gonna be the biggest problem (after the control system).

I agree the control system will be one heck of a task Im sure DARPA or MIT could do it but it might be too much for one man.

It will also need safe guards built in , just imagine if the Mechs arm wanted to keep bending beyond what the human arm can do
It would snap your arm like a twig.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Really how he has it set up he is the control system. he moves his arm and it moves its arm all that he needs is pressure swiches that fill the cylinders and as soon as pressure is let off of the swich it stops filling. holding the robot arm right above his arm. same with the legs he lifts his leg the the sencer feels the pressure of his foot pulling up it lifts the robots foot and if you have the foot pad on a gimble you could have the foot mimic what the human foot is doing with out much of a problem at all. the problem I see with his configuration is telling it where the shin sould be or if he is just going for a big set of stilts kinda set up.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I think just walking upright can't be done so easy with a machine and controls like this. The human brain is making millions of caculations a second to keep us walking and not falling down all the time. We dont have to think about this our body just does that for us.

But our body cant hope to make these caculations for a 18 foot robot it just would not be the same. You would need some program to just keep the thing from falling over correcting its balance and shifting its weight all the time and you just have to worry about telling it where to go.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I think just walking upright can't be done so easy with a machine and controls like this. The human brain is making millions of caculations a second to keep us walking and not falling down all the time. We dont have to think about this our body just does that for us.

But our body cant hope to make these caculations for a 18 foot robot it just would not be the same. You would need some program to just keep the thing from falling over correcting its balance and shifting its weight all the time and you just have to worry about telling it where to go.

odds are your right but some time soon we might befinding out if this guy can pull it off.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. A guy can't build a mech out in the woods, especially for $60,000. I bet he'd be sorry if a squirrel crawled into some sensitive area and it exploded in the first test.
Seriously, mechs, no matter how many video games you play, have no real application for combat. I like Empire Earth, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out or try to build a mech or take over Russia. People would have a lot of trouble balancing it, not to mention having it walk. If it tips over, how would it get up? And which has a better chance of winning in combat - a tank or a mech? I'm assuming that there's some sort of remote control for this thing, so it would be more of a Halo2 environment for the controller than a combat environment. In urban warfare, I'm even willing to bet that a single infantryman, with a well placed shot or grenade to the gas tank could destroy it. It's simply not cost-effective, and the military is the only real role for such a monstrosity. And those photos don't look like it's a real mech. I mean, glowing red eyes? Somebody's been watching too much sci-fi. Somebody could have done this with photoshop. This is probably a bizarre hoax. It reminds me of the "Rail-Gun Invisible Nuke Mech" post.

EDIT: I tried to post an image, but that didn't work. I don't know how to do anything with images on this site, do I?

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Shadowtrooper90]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Shadow - when i saw that pic it reminded me of the Matrix Revolutions.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Murcielago yeah nice pic, the guy in the pic even looks alittle like the guy building this mech. I wonder if protecting Zion was influcence for him

I was thinking more about the power source he using a Gas engine for it. I think this is going to cause him some big problems since its going to be alot of weight in one place the back I would think. This could mess up his balance in many ways.

If he used batteries he could put the weight pretty much anywhere he wanted even spread it out over the whole body. I got one of those Robosapiens and it makes use of large D-cells batteries in the feet which help alot with balance. But if he does try batteries he might get only get a short run time if it can even be done.

I dont know though ASIMO seems to do just fine with alot of weight on his back. But he did have a 100 million behind his development.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
control systems for a 'mech' are not the same as a robot... a human brain is a complex neural network that can work out fine control issues- that's why asimo cost so much to learn to stand up and walk, and this thing (or something like it in the future) will cost less. Counter-rotating gas or diesel generators in the feet and a very low center of gravity or stance will help the stability issues... It is all very possible, but I'd not volunteer for the first tests....

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Using just switches for the control system is not going to be practical, while it would give the operator the directional control they require, it would not provide any force or speed control of the limbs. I personally would find that an interesting challenge to get that working, but the complexity could be overwhelming for a one man band. But switches may be a good place to start and evolve it!

It wouldn't take an MIT graduate or phd graded professional to implement, but would require more than one person to develop if it was required within let say a year.

Batteries and an electric motor driving the hydraulic pump will be v. heavy and v. expensive. (If it was that simple they have been using them in cars a long time ago (production wise i mean)). Not to mention if you were to take this route it would be more practical to use electric motors to drive the limbs rather than hydraulics.

E.g. a reasonably priced 60-70hp electric motor (3 phase ac (dc driven)motor) will weigh in at about 200-300kg (480-630lbs) plus controller about 30kg and batteries about another 300kg for say lead acid car batteries (ok there are newer lighter batteries, but the cost goes up exponentially and there are disadvantages!) so your looking at 500-650kg for the power source. Also your probably looking at least $8000 just for that lot! (off the shelf not 2nd hand).

In terms of power and cost a diesel generator engine hooked up to the pump would probably be the best.

e.g. 60-70hp diesel generator with fuel tank and cooling system etc would probably weigh in at 200-250kg, would cost about $1000-2000 off the shelf be more compact and probably give more usage time due to the energy density of the fuel. (not to mention it would take a few mins to refuel, rather than 12hrs to recharge!).

But good luck to the guy, hope he finishes it, would love to see it running!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The Skeptics need to keep their TV's tuned to the late night TV shows this spring. Major Late night TV talk shows are talking with Neogentronyxs for interviews and possible appearance on National TV of the Worlds first realistic Mecha, built almost entirely by one man, Carlos Owens.

New video footage of Carlos has just be released on their website at www.neogentronyx.com

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Never mind that daydreamer... check out this badboy! complete with video of mech walking and weapon test.

LandWalker

B0\/\/ B3F0R3 /\/\3!

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Klepto I saw video of that thing on TechTV oh what G4 or whatever its called no. When I first saw the video of it just standing there I was like OMG someone made a Mech just like in some many games and Movies.

Then I saw it walk or I think it would be better described as shuffle its feet. It was really not impressive even on perfect flat ground. If it cant handle rough ground well you might as well stick with wheels. It seems it still has a long to go.

Now for looks and style it is great 10 out of 10 in that department.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The only practical aplication, once it is completed, fine tuned so it doesnt fall down etc etc, would be something like "Ultimate Paintball!" or "Mecha Wargames".

when the prototype actually makes it off the ground it would obviously be cheaper for a company to mass produce them (they would be better, stronger and faster) on an assembly line.

realy though CANT WAIT. a for god sake you guys! stop being so pessimistic!

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I want one!

Never mind controlling the mech...

...just sitting in it would be good enough for me!

For pure military purposes though I think it's the way forward, it would save the lives of many innocent soldiers, if it acts as an exoskeleton that is!

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
being a mechwarrior fan...

sadly mechs aren't useful.. .too big bulky, can shoot out their legs... treads are much a better choice....

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Anyone read warhammer 40000k? Space Marines.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I like this eight legged excavator, it would be a real mech if u add like rifle cannons and mini missle thingy to it...

Its use for digging...but it can climb up rocky terrain and hill up to 70 degrees steep...
www.stockerconstructionsitka.com... (This isnt the one I saw on TV, but this will do.)

This one just cut trees...
65.66.244.26:8080...

[edit on 16-4-2005 by skyblueff0]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
kool idea...

"mecha, kill that guy and steal his money"...

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
[edit on 16-4-2005 by menguard]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
hey i tell you what! they wont be practical unless they cant be made faster than humans.

imagine this a tank is advancing toward innocents. the mecha obstructs the tanks path and stands about 40m from the tank. the mecha sets off running. the tank fires and the mecha dodges to the side. the mecha leaps into the air and lands on the tank, ripping open the top of the tank. so kool...SO KOOL

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join