It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mech-Robots being built, taking orders

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I found this site a few days ago and this is the first time I've heard of someone actually attempting this. It's not like the technology is beyond us, it just seems that no one has taken the idea seriously:

www.neogentronyx.com...

It will be at least a few more years before you will see mecha sold to the general public from Neogentronyx, by that time the technology will be more refined. It is also my intention to make neo-mecha affordable to the average citizen. (under 60,000.00$ US. per unit.) Base models with no upgrades starting at around 35-40,000.00$ US. Per unit with possible financing available.

More affordable per pound than any other robot.

Accessories, upgrades (armor, I.C.E. interface control equipment , engines, balancing systems, computer systems, hands for gripping, shearing, striking, grabbing, faster hydraulic systems, melee weaponry specifically designed for your neo-mech), and services will be available as well. 24hr technical support, armor replacement, possible warranty work on certain components.

Okay, they're not actually for sale yet, but they it looks like they should be relatively soon. I just think it's amazing what one guy has been able to accomplish with only some sparse help from his friends.

Let me know if you guys have seen something like this before and what kind of possibilities you think this will open up.

Thanks - ledbedder20

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I don't know whether to laugh or not... is he going to use it to build a log cabin? In any event, building a sophisticated piece of machinery out in the elements is a losing battle... I'd feel a lot more confident if he were building it in a garage in Palo Alto, at least there's some precedence for success, there... some how this effort isn't enough to make me take it seriously.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Though Im sure you can create a Mech but I doubt for $60,000.00 USD. Asimo cost $100 million to develop. Perhaps he can just build a huge version of a Robot One robot people are saying they will be like human size in a few years. But even that would cost alot of money because noone has ever built them on that scale.

This guy is also talking about building Exoskeleton for $1000-1500 That sounds way to low.

Some things Im wondering about this MECH is what is the powersource used for things and how is it controled.

Though I doubt Mechs this big will ever be used in combat like this guy does we might see some much smaller armoured suits. These would make for one heck of a Battle bots match

[edit on 10-1-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
WOW!!
I WANT ONE!!!!!

thats pretty cool,guy is building mechs in his yard,you gotta love american ingenuity.
laugh all you want,but you really never know,30 years from now this guy could be the next bill gates.stranger things have happened.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
wow that guiy has nothing better to do? One day he was playing mechwarrior and said, ah hell i'll build my own. What a mad-man, and smart guy, and good guy, i want one too.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
hmmmmm.....I dont know.

He's spent over 15 grand so far, and expects it to be finished in summer, then he plans to test it by crush cars and shoot flames.

I'm still curious how he's going to control it? Its powered by a gas engine mounted on its back...wonder how many mpg it gets?

If its for real (which I'm leaning towards yes), I think he will start it up, remove the scafolding and make it take one step and he will relize that balancing is harder then it looks, and it will far on its back on top of the gas tank and it will explode.

It says he's an iron worker, but I think hes a little crazy for not making a scaled model first, instead he just had an idea in 2003 and started working on the 18 foot tall stainless steal monster, complete with horns & glowing red eyes (nice touch).

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
hmmmmm.....I dont know.

He's spent over 15 grand so far, and expects it to be finished in summer, then he plans to test it by crush cars and shoot flames.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Murcielago]

Its always starts out like that when your building robots you think this robot will cost me say $200 then by the time your done you dropped like $1,000 into the thing. I bet this guy is far more in the hole then the $60,000 he estimates when done.

Im thinking the thing will be powered by a diesel engine, Pretty much built with parts of Backhoes and stuff.

If this guy gets this thing working he will be the envy of alot of robot builders in Japan they love their Mechs. Worth keeping a eye on it to see how it comes out.

Good find ledbedder20

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Haha that is awesome
Not sure if it really has military applications though.

Urn

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
wow.......i guess everybody needs a hobby......

thats one helluva hobby though

[edit on 11-1-2005 by Urn]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
This has 'CON-ARTIST" rivetted all over it!! He'll tell you a story, play on peoples weak side (i mean c'mon... wouldn't everyone like there own peronal giant sentinal mech warrior?? and all for the cost of an automobile?) and then be like... "I'm almost near finishing the product and can get the arms to do this and fire lasers out of that..etc, etc.. but I need an additional $40,000 for the Shull Bit Dampeners... please pledge any money you can.........

would you believe me if I told you that I building a time and space machine and all I showed you was a circa 1940's police box with flashing lights...??

nobody is surely that naive..

this man is obviously a giften metal worker and makes metal sculptures with moving parts.. nothing more than an oversized childs toy..

reckon this guy needs to role a 2 twelve sided dice and beg that his parents don't find out what he what kind of mess he is making in the garden or where he is spending his trust fund....

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm not quite sure what he's going to use to power it and keep it level, but I still admire the guy for the work he's done. Hopefully the thing will actually work like he wants it to! I don't think he's scamming anyone though, if he wanted to do that, I don't think he would have gotten this far without accepting money from anyone.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Our military would be the laughing stock on the world if we started walking around in those...what happens if that gets hit with a few rounds...the thing could teeter over and then would be there just lying on its back waiting to be blown into tiny peices.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
that thing is awsome if it will actually work. you could clear trees and logs in an instance, lift and move cars around. strap an ax or a chainsaw on the arm and chop stuff, you could even have it remote controlled and thermal vision specs displayed on an lsd screen. the engine sounds a little risky i would go with an external battery pack, connected with an electrical cord. i doubt your gonna be able to do any serious hiking around.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I think the real potential is in industry, not military or transportation. I think that if the technology gets far enough, these things could be used for our entertainment, like he says, just have a Pro Mech League and have 'em duke it out.

Their biggest advantage would be their ability to move heavy objects, so I envision more of an "Aliens" type of use for them. You know, with Sigourney Weaver in the big mech-suit, moving around boxes. Ahh..but included in that vision would be the ability to fight acid-blooded aliens!

I think we have a winner, these will be best used for fighting aliens!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It can also be made for the military as well. If anyone knows the game starcraft they have a mech called the Goliath that has 2 heavy machine guns on it and a multiple anti aircraft missile system on them. I think having a squadron of mechs in an infantry team along with some heavy tanks would be an awsome team.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Neat-o. I would guess this is a prototype thingy. (duh) It seems a bit small and it doesn't have room for a cockpit? But it is a cool past time to have. More expensive than my piddly train set.
I saw on Monster Nation that people were building small fighting robots that were more like the mecha we all know and love- bipedal, mobile, and very articulated. This guy has moved beyond the miniature stage. I'm keeping an eye on this for sure!

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan
I saw on Monster Nation that people were building small fighting robots that were more like the mecha we all know and love- bipedal, mobile, and very articulated. This guy has moved beyond the miniature stage. I'm keeping an eye on this for sure!

Yeah thats Robo One mainly Japanese and Korean built right now but a few American and Canadian builders out there. They are quite amazing some can do hand stands karate kicks and stuff. All built for a few thousand bucks compared to ASIMO which cost millions thats pretty good.

Heres a site where you can buy a Robo One robot for $1645
www.sozbots.com...

Many people think these same robots will be built on human scales in the next couple of years.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan
Neat-o. I would guess this is a prototype thingy. (duh) It seems a bit small and it doesn't have room for a cockpit?

You can fit into it much in the way of the cargo loader in Aliens like someone mentioned.

The Guy building this is 6'5'' so its pretty big

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The Control system for that is gonna be a nightmare, its not impossible to make, but keeping the weight down is gonna be the biggest problem (after the control system).

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thanks Shadow, I kept missing what the Robo 1's were, either a kit or custom. I didn't notice that you fit in to the mech like an exo-skeleton. That makes sense now!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join