It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturn's moon Iapetus has bulging/ridged equator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well, this is pretty weird... and no one has any convincing way to explain it yet:
www.newscientist.com...

Saturn's moon Iapetus has a bulging equator that stretches around its entire surface, making it look like a giant walnut in space (though I, personally, think it looks like the Death Star).

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I know its bizarre, I first saw this over at the badastronomy forums and the best guess they could come up with was two moons formed together....not very likely in my opinion. Theres also another saturn moon with a strange feature, a 1000 kilometre or so razor straight line which cuts across all the natural geological valleys, it was systematically determined not to be an image artifact as it was verifyed by some photo experts and cross referenced with a picture taken from voyager showing same feature.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Got any pictures for that as well?

Well, a Walnut shaped moon, that's so bizarre...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Yeap,

There appears to be something crossing the line at the number "1". There appears to be two small impact craters on it just below the number "2".

In the area marked in red the feature appears not to be a cleft or ridge but seems to follow the surface elevations which actually is evident all along the line too.

Original image: saturn.jpl.nasa.gov.../multimedia/images/large-moons/images/PIA06163.jpg&type=image
Theres a few other pics there too.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I made an ATSNN article about this today, in case anybody cares

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Another Link to it for ya all to analyse/read/work ya magic lol

Weird Ridge Thing!

Enjoy!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
I made an ATSNN article about this today, in case anybody cares

Sorry, but the ATSNN headlines aren't showing up when I log in. I just get an error message in the ATSNN box at work AND at home.

And, yes, I think that everyone thinks that moon looks like the Death Star.

new topics

top topics

join