It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Research Could Make ‘Brain Modem’ a Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
This is yet another interesting technology that could change things. It looks like we're about 20-50 years away from some serious advances in technology and what it will mean to be human.

The Pentagon is attempting what was, until recently, an impossible technological feat—developing a high-bandwidth neural interface that would allow people to beam data from their minds to external devices and back.

That’s right—a brain modem. One that could allow a soldier to, for example, control a drone with his mind.

This seemingly unlikely piece of technology has just gotten a lot less unlikely. On Feb. 8, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)—the U.S. military’s fringe-science wing—announced the first successful tests, on animal subjects, of a tiny sensor that travels through blood vessels, lodges in the brain and records neural activity.

www.thedailybeast.com...

Here's the picture that goes with the article:

I think it's obvious that humans in the future will not be like humans today. They will be smarter because their brains will be connected to the internet so all kinds of information will be available to them. They will be able to learn things in a matter of minutes and they will be able to exist in virtual environments.

This will also mean definitions for things like commerce and work will also change. Will we even need money in the future with the advancement of 3-D printing and quantum computers?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
We all knew it was just a matter of time. Funny thing is that if we're hearing about this now, it means it's already in existence somewhere.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I talk to myself in my mind too much already. I don't need to be getting more strange people in my head. I already have one strange one in there. Me.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Unless the elites already have such technology.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
So Aliice is real!?!?!?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

neural interface that would allow people to beam data from their minds to external devices and back.

What's all this news about Apple and the govt wanting a backdoor?

they say the tech is 20 to 50 yrs away, kind of interesting that people say the govt is 20 to 50 years ahead.

Certainly Cool tech for us to f##k it up nonetheless

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Ain't nobody gonna install brainlink technology in my head. I will fight to the death. It's a terrible idea. It will be used for slavery. Guaranteed.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Internet made a great change in peoples lives regarding the means to reach out to the world and find information. Who knows, this kind of technology could be the next leap and the the next great change to how we communicate with the outside world and with our devices on a daily basis.

Retinal displays, Neural interfaces, embedded memory chips inside the body and tech such as the cognitive chip technology that IBM is doing research on is most likely to become a part of our lives sooner than we think.

Being an "upgraded" human or not might mean the same difference as having internet or not today.

Being a tech-geek myself I find this technology really interesting. The real worry however is as always regarding security, surveillance and personal privacy. I do believe that the next step in this evolution will lead to great and cool stuff, but at great sacrifices regarding our anonymity. We cannot be blinded by the new and shiny too much. We need to think about what it actually means to our privacy and how we can protect it in the future.

top topics

join