It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's how we could build a colony on an alien world

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Here's how we could build a colony on an alien world

If the human race is to survive in the long-run, we will probably have to colonise other planets. Whether we make the Earth uninhabitable ourselves or it simply reaches the natural end of its ability to support life, one day we will have to look for a new home.

Hollywood films such as The Martian and Interstellar give us a glimpse of what may be in store for us. Mars is certainly the most habitable destination in our solar system, but there are thousands of exoplanets orbiting other stars that could be a replacement for our Earth. So what technology will we need to make this possible?

We effectively already have one space colony, the International Space Station (ISS). But it is only 350km away from Earth and relies on a continuous resupply of resources for its crew of six. Much of the technology developed for the ISS, such as radiation shielding, water and air recycling, solar power collection, is certainly transferable to future space settlements. However, a permanent space colony on the surface of another planet or moon adds a new set of challenges.

Unnatural habitat

The first requirement for a human settlement is a habitat....

Getting ready to watch a pretty cool topic related docu-movie. But, before I do, I wanted to pop in and post this interesting little read. I thought some here would appreciate the refreshing look at an idea many have over the past few decades discussed but this time around it's a bit more up to date considering all the latest in tech advances, we seem to be closer to making this a reality and sooner than we think.

So, I'll leave this here for you and be back in a bit.

edit on 27-2-2016 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I gave you a star and flag before I even read it, you are that good

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I'm only coming if everyone else is staying.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Chesley had a great vision.
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...
www.bonestell.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Humans can live a time without food, less without potable water, about 4 minutes without oxygen.

Terraforming. Takes millennia. I remember reading somewhere that under the right conditions, ice plant is a good start.

For instance, drop a ton of ice plant on another lifeless rock near the polar caps. As it grows it produces oxygen, absorbs sunlight, warms the planet.

Ever so sloooowly…

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Im gonna give you a fantastic insight in something,

1. We are a part of this planet.
2. We share DNA with everything on this planet
3. We can only break down food thats grown on our own planet
4. We need the magnetic field to shield us from radiation

Now continue

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Kantjil

And yet we still try to f*** the planet. Luckily for the planet it will still be here when we are long gone.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
In some of the scifi books I've read they find very large rock of several miles in size, then they drill into them and hollow them out, building living spaces as they go. They cover the surfaces with solar collectors which transfers the light to the interior so that they can grow food. Growing food provides oxygen.
Much easier than trying to create an atmosphere on a huge planet.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

1. yes we are
2. we share dna with every living thing we know, we just don't know of life elsewhere
3. no
4. mars has that enough to keep humans from getting radiation poisoning,

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I can also imagine stuff, but i like reality to much..

Im trying to lend you a clue, if you can read between the lines..

GO AMERICA!! geez..

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

How is what I said go America?

What you said is inaccurate.

GO IGNORANCE!?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Stories like this make me wish I had more qualifications to become an Astronaut and help create history by colonizing other planets

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: RevolutionAnon

And yet we still try to f*** the planet. Luckily for the planet it will still be here when we are long gone.

And, eventually, the planet will be unable to sustain life of any sort. Assuming the Sun does not actually consume it entirely.

Luckily, we will be elsewhere(s).

edit on 2/27/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Assuming the Sun does not actually consume it entirely.

I would take that as a last moment over any.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Go America is a reference to when the rest of the world have to respect people who cant deal with reality =) "Grown ups"

Thats why i love religion in all its format, and the strict cultural values of the Nordic ideals.. It means we can lock down whenever we feel like it, and tell our kids to learn outside the instutional schools of a western society and still adapt the social norms that comes with a western world...

I bet you love us, we just feed your narcissism.. You want to buy a Volvo?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Be where? Dead`?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: Phage
Assuming the Sun does not actually consume it entirely.

I would take that as a last moment over any.

Unfortunately that last moment will last millions of years.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I am not an environmentalist, I don't participate in any pro earth activities, but I hope we die before earth does. Earth is the innocent party we are the disease. we will do the same to every viable planet. Plus the people on this planet are not worth saving.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: RevolutionAnon

Plus the people on this planet are not worth saving.

Present company excepted?

In any case, I have a point of view different from yours.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

not religious at all, and Volvo's are reliable but ugly

a reply to: Ghost147
Hence why I said I would take it as my last one! Though once the expansion of the sun starts, it won't be millions of years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join