It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panicking Mitch McConnell Says GOP Will Help Hillary Beat Trump If He Wins The Nomination

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Things are getting truly desperate in conservative camps and the grim acceptance that this isn’t a bad dream and that Trump is almost surely going to win the nomination has begun to set in. It’s led to an odd plan. In a stunning report by the New York Times, Republican sources confirm that party leadership is planning to destroy Trump and give Hillary Clinton the win rather than let him have control of the GOP.

To rally depressed Republicans, McConnell has hatched an unthinkable tactical retreat: Let Hillary Clinton win and focus on maintaining control over the Senate.

Addicting Info - Panicking Mitch McConnell Says GOP Will Help Hillary Beat Trump If He Wins The Nomination

This is actually the first intelligent thing I've heard from McConnell in quite sometime, but ... isn't this signalling the end of The Republican Party as we know it???

I mean, if Republicans nominate Mr. Trump ... how are the Establishment Republicans going to spin THIS ONE?

EDIT: Source Article for Addicting Info Article ...

Inside the Republican Party's Desperate Mission to Stop Donald Trump

edit on 27-2-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Hillary represents the establishment more than trump that's why Mitchey boy is scared.

And how is the repub party done? Last time I checked the dems could barely field 3 people for the debates.
edit on 27-2-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
Hillary represents the establishment more than trump that's why Mitchey boy is scared.

I really thought they would fall in line behind Trump if he wins the primaries/caucuses.

I know this is a very liberal source ... and I'm trying to find other confirming reports from other sources ... but if this is really McConnell's strategy (that I believe will fail epicly) ... it's really staring to get interesting.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Goodbye GOP, if they support probably the least liked Democratic candidate ever as opposed to supporting a candidate their base voted for........... it's game over. I can't say I'd miss them. Hopefully Bernie can win the popular vote, before being told go home by the Super Delegates and do the same thing to the Democrats.

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
All I read was that the Mitch McConnell doesn't care what the people want should the people choose Trump. Come on people of Kentucky. If this doesn't show you all what complete filth McConnell is, I don't know what will.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yea, this would be suicide. I would bet voter registration changes go mainstream to libertarian or independent if that happens. These shenanigans to not let the people decide (do what the people want) is what is driving the Trump issue in the first place. They still haven't learned anything from his thrashing them. He is not unlike Obama or Hillary that says anything to get the vote and then goes in and does what they want anyway. This is getting hilarious watching the establishment globalist boot lickers panic.

edit on 27/2/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

link   
Seems very unlikely, especially given the source. But, it is McConnell we're taling about. GOPers already hate him, for exactly this kind of weasely thing. His re-election wasn't even certain. And it was UG-ly. If this does come to fruition, buh bye McConell and R.I.P. GOP

edit on 2/27/2016 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
All I read was that the Mitch McConnell doesn't care what the people want should the people choose Trump. Come on people of Kentucky. If this doesn't show you all what complete filth McConnell is, I don't know what will.

I have to think that Mr. McConnell just isn't up to the task at hand.

He jumped the gun on the deal with the President's SCOTUS nomination ... and now this.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

The NY Times seems to support the idea, though not as outlandishly as the OP source. They've got an article that says McConnell has told senate republicans they'll be allowed to run ads distancing themselves from Trump when it comes to their election cycle. He's also said that they can run ads that "treat Trump's loss as a given" and tell voters it's even more important to keep republican control in the senate.

So not quite as chicken little as your source makes it out to be, but certainly interesting.

mobile.nytimes.com...://www.google.com/

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Plus the old guard in D.C. wants the status quo... maybe they really are just two sides of the same coin. Trump gets on my nerves but if McConnell truly feels that way then it is just one more reason to vote for Trump... just to, rub their noses in their unrepresentative government and scare and piss the old guard off..

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Surprisingly enough, it's not outside the realm of plausibility for such a conversation to take place.

When you've got the bulk of the GOP throwing their collective support behind a young buck, such as Marco Rubio, as the best alternative to a Trump nomination -- and he's lagging behind in double digits... Well, D.C., you've got yourselves one helluva problem and it sports a bad toupee.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Things are getting truly desperate in conservative camps and the grim acceptance that this isn’t a bad dream and that Trump is almost surely going to win the nomination has begun to set in. It’s led to an odd plan. In a stunning report by the New York Times, Republican sources confirm that party leadership is planning to destroy Trump and give Hillary Clinton the win rather than let him have control of the GOP.

To rally depressed Republicans, McConnell has hatched an unthinkable tactical retreat: Let Hillary Clinton win and focus on maintaining control over the Senate.

Addicting Info - Panicking Mitch McConnell Says GOP Will Help Hillary Beat Trump If He Wins The Nomination

This is actually the first intelligent thing I've heard from McConnell in quite sometime, but ... isn't this signalling the end of The Republican Party as we know it???

I mean, if Republicans nominate Mr. Trump ... how are the Establishment Republicans going to spin THIS ONE?

EDIT: Source Article for Addicting Info Article ...

Inside the Republican Party's Desperate Mission to Stop Donald Trump

I don’t know why people keep saying the end of the Republican Party.

THEY HAVE TWO HOUSES OF CONGRESS!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If you think the GOP / establishment is going to go away after trump wins the nomination then think harder. They already know they're despised and learning to adopt and infiltrate better every day.

If you really think voting is ever gonna change anything you should learn something.

100 years ago all these political hacks would be hanging in city center now we got a bunch of cucks feeling the bern. Jesus Christ.
edit on 27-2-2016 by LibsAreBeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

The NY Times seems to support the idea, though not as outlandishly as the OP source. They've got an article that says McConnell has told senate republicans they'll be allowed to run ads distancing themselves from Trump when it comes to their election cycle. He's also said that they can run ads that "treat Trump's loss as a given" and tell voters it's even more important to keep republican control in the senate.

So not quite as chicken little as your source makes it out to be, but certainly interesting.

mobile.nytimes.com...://www.google.com/

Yep, linked that in the OP ... but Addicting Info quotes the NYT article almost verbatim ...

From the Times ...

While still hopeful that Mr. Rubio might prevail, Mr. McConnell has begun preparing senators for the prospect of a Trump nomination, assuring them that, if it threatened to harm them in the general election, they could run negative ads about Mr. Trump to create space between him and Republican senators seeking re-election. Mr. McConnell has raised the possibility of treating Mr. Trump’s loss as a given and describing a Republican Senate to voters as a necessary check on a President Hillary Clinton, according to senators at the lunches.

From Addicting Info ...

While still hopeful that Mr. Rubio might prevail, Mr. McConnell has begun preparing senators for the prospect of a Trump nomination, assuring them that, if it threatened to harm them in the general election, they could run negative ads about Mr. Trump to create space between him and Republican senators seeking re-election. Mr. McConnell has raised the possibility of treating Mr. Trump’s loss as a given and describing a Republican Senate to voters as a necessary check on a President Hillary Clinton, according to senators at the lunches.

But is that really the point? which to my mind is the Republican Party Establishment may ABANDON their nominee and runs attack ads against him???

How is that not "Finis." for the Republicans?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Have.

Until November 2016.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I have to think that Mr. McConnell just isn't up to the task at hand.

He jumped the gun on the deal with the President's SCOTUS nomination ... and now this.

He really isn't. Further on in the source article from New York Times:

He has reminded colleagues of his own 1996 re-election campaign, when he won comfortably amid President Bill Clinton’s easy re-election. Of Mr. Trump, Mr. McConnell has said, “We’ll drop him like a hot rock,” according to his colleagues.

Inside the Republican Party’s Desperate Mission to Stop Donald Trump

What I've emphasized pretty much confirms what your source article is claiming. He'd rather sink the Republican party to get Hillary elected and then lock down the senate. He's already demonstrated he can't stand up to Obama. What makes him think he can against Hillary.

McConnell is a spoilt brat who'd rather undermine the voter base and have their votes mean nothing.

edit on 2/27/2016 by EternalSolace because: Clarity

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

That makes more sense. The establishment wants to distance themselves from the rantings of Trump. Letting them know they can do so without problems from the GOP isn't the same as the GOP saying vote for Hillary. In the past, I heard the others in the debates say anyone on this stage is better than Hilliary as president. That included Trump.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

This is actually the first intelligent thing I've heard from McConnell in quite sometime, but ...

I don't understand. It does not quote McConnell as saying anything so how can it be "the first intelligent thing" you've "heard from McConnell". Did I overlook something?

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

McConnell looks scared and paranoid every time I see him lately.

He has almost zero personal magnetism ... can you imagine him trying to stand up to Donald Trump in public?

I'm afraid Mitch actually would pee on himself ...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Honestly I think they're screwed either way. End all, be all? I doubt it. But I think it'll be a huge rift that'll cause substantial damage either way they go.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join