It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I have to pay for Flints bad water?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
So I assume we all know about the ongoing water issues in Flint MI. If not, in order to save money Flints Governor appointed emergency mgr decided to stop buying water from Detroit and opened the Flint river for city water. The water was not treated properly and caused existing lead pipes to corrode and leach lead into the drinking water.

This in itself is horrible, lasting effects on children.

But thats not why I am angry.

They say the residents of Flint should not have to pay their water bills, I agree. The city was "selling" toxic water.

But our Gov. just wrote the city of Flint a check for 30 million dollars to pay their bills.

I'm sorry but as a Michigan taxpayer why do I have to pay their bills? How can they charge anybody for toxic water?

We can drop down and say most of those bills havent been paid in years as much of Flints residents are living in poverty and food and new iphones top water bills.

I dont think the residents should have to pay for that water but I certainly shouldnt have to pay for it.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Free poison? Are you daft... cities pay to dump toxins into te water... excuse me citizens tax dollars as well as the bill itself.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

What else are going to do with your money?

You should be proud to help others in need.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The same reason you pay for schools, roads, airports and the military.
Would you feel the same if a meteor hit flint and destroyed the water system?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I'd have a witty and snarky comment, but ^^ these two have made it apparently clear why.

Who do you think you are, someone who deserves clean water and stuff. you live in a place that says if you are homeless, "get out of my town" and you are arrested. Where if you feed the homeless you are arrested.

So as a citizen, you will drink that kerosene. and you will like it.

Oo
edit on 27-2-2016 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

link   
Just cleaning up what the Dems ignored. Get used to it more and more stories will be coming out from lots of other places.

I was born in Flint and still live in Michigan so I got to watch it all first hand. Thanks Detroit Coleman and Kawani

edit on 27-2-2016 by mikell because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The same reason you pay for schools, roads, airports and the military.

Wait, WHAT?

Are you on planet loopiter??

Oo

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Yes I pay taxes for schools, roads and military, and happy to do it. But if the city is selling toxic water, and the residents don't have to pay for it, Why should I?

Why should the flint water authority get a check for 30 million dollars to cover Flint water bills if the residents dont have to pay it?

They should be out the money or Flint residents pay it.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

republicans in this case sorry

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I know its not like I have to write a check myself, but we have had terrible roads for years... just passed a bill to try to fix them.

Now because of our govt all money is going to go there.

I just feel writing a check to Flint for 30 mill is obscene.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I am just shocked that you are forced to pay for and use toxic water.

Flint Michigan and the governing rulers, are basically saying you can die they do not care.

Go on laugh, it's funny, Ha Ha Ha ha.. it's real. deny it, follow the MSM.

when its your turn, we'll just s n i g g e r -- (stop the useless censor ffs)and giggle, ahhhahaha oh really?

No we'll be by your side. in this damn war...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Well I would imagine without the funding,the water department could not pay for the repairs to the water system or continue paying the employees working in that department.

Why this is not handled by fema is a mystery but the city still needs to operate.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I'm sorry but as a Michigan taxpayer why do I have to pay their bills? How can they charge anybody for toxic water?

Because they're broke? If crumbling infrastructure, endless war and endless debt weren't enough, the whole decision to switch to the toxic river water in the first place was to "save money", i.e. they're broke.

Collapsing bridges, power outages and filthy water coming to a town near you.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I get that the city needs to operate, And honestly if they had said we are giving the city 30 mil I would be ok with it. But they say we giving 30 mil to pay the residents water bills ticks me off. I mean seams like a lot of water bills for 2 years.

As a taxpayer in Michigan it just irks me, they knew the water was bad but did nothing. Now I have to pay to clean up their mess.

As far as FEMA, I have heard they were there, but will ask my dad, he works for them

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

This is now in my top 5 dumbest things I've ever read on ATS.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: laminatedsoul

Yes, the 30 million dollars isnt for clean up, it is to pay past due water bills.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

For the same reason that people are still expected to pay property taxes to prop up failing school systems year after year, even if they don't have kids, even if they pay to send their kids to other schools.

Welcome to public service! It doesn't service you; you service it!

As we go more and more into the idea that everything good and service should be public, this will only become more common. Say with socialized medicine, you will be paying for the substandard surgeon who forgets to remove the last sponge before he closes up.

Forgot to add that if Flint's water company were private, you could tell them to go take a flying leap. It might not get you water, but at least wouldn't be coerced into paying for poison.
edit on 27-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This is a reason for utilities to be privatised, when government runs them the only one accountable for these things is the tax-payers.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Next step full on communism.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

This is now in my top 5 dumbest things I've ever read on ATS.

Thank you,not even close to the same thing...

they were informed the water contained lead and chose to ignore the info.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join