It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the B-21

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Sorry, meant to answer this sooner but got distracted. This shape is inherently stealthy so it makes sense.

As for turning, when just flying normally the B-2 uses drag to turn. They open panels on the outer wing that causes the aircraft to turn in that direction. They can be used for yaw or as ailerons.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Those old RWD Diablos (I'd imagine the one you saw was one of the RWD editions if it was throwing up that much rubber) were the last "true" Lambos IMHO, just as the coachbuilt Virages and Vantage 600s were the last TRUE Aston-Martins.

Everything since have been tarted up Audi R8's with pointy bodywork and a sexier sounding exhaust. Hot looking Audi-engined commuter cars for the well-heeled.

Those Diablos, though... Outside of a TVR or a Viper, they're pretty much the last of the real "flinch and it'll kill you" supercars...

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Not as much as you think. I know about how much can be grasped based on shape, but at the same time there's a lot that is still changed based on skin and other systems that we can't see. While the shape tells us some, it doesn't tell us everything or as much as people think.

They've been working on ways to generalize stealth so it works against multiple frequencies for almost 10 years, successfully. Most of that is done with skin, and less with overall shape. We already have a general idea of a number of specs based on the RFP and what's been released so far, but there's no way to tell all the fine details.
edit on 2/26/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You can see the split flaps opening at the left end of the YB-35's wing in this image:

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

(Speculation below)

It doesn't look like Bremsstrahlung to me. Although I agree it's definitely a form of light. JMHO.

Although plasma can be that color it usually isn't.

But I got a good guess as to what it is and why. If correct, it IS VERY INTERESTING.

You gotta ask yourself. Whats changing these days that it has to deal with? Hint- somethings getting longer. What have they attempted in the past to defeat said challenge?

Is military technology a lot like women's fashion and have cycles that repeat?

Did they go "back to the future?"

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

I want to come out and say something here.

We do have a significant lead in technology over the Chinese and Russians. This is especially the case in stealth technology. The increasingly apparent case the PAK-FA is really a 4th++ gen aircraft and even the Chinese admissions just demonstrate this.

However.

You point to the fact we built the B-2 and the F-22 in the 80s and no one has matched that since. Or they are barely starting to get close. However, consider what the Chinese were building in the 1980s vs what they are now. They have made significant progress. Impressive progress. Frakkin scary progress.

Sure. We have made some tech wise. But the fact we have NOT replaced a lot of our equipment or maintained it as well as we ought makes for just as big of a problem. The bill is coming due.

If we are not willing to pay for the replacement of that equipment and we are not willing to keep pushing ahead with our tech, if we get complacent, we will lose that edge.

The laws of physics don't care what flag you wave. They will work for anyone.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Wow. Seriously? I guess from now on the Air Force better be sure to only design aircraft that look like something out of a Sci Fi movie just to keep people happy. Jesus.

If they were hurting for new recruits, it couldn't hurt...

That said, function before form...why reinvent the wheel?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
Seriously they're calling it the B-21 because its the first Bomber of the 21st century.

More like B-2.1

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
You gotta ask yourself. Whats changing these days that it has to deal with? Hint- somethings getting longer.

ooh I know I know

radar signal wavelength!

What have they attempted in the past to defeat said challenge?

uh, chaff?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The Aviationist waded in.

The post doesn't add a whole lot more, but does have the pictures of Wichita and Amarillo included.

theaviationist.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

You have a good point.

The best option we have is just to keep the chinese in the dark so they actually have to brainstorm and come up with their own ideas instead of imitating what we do. Without us doing all the legwork for them it's a lot harder for them to catch up.

Unfortunately to keep the chinese in the dark you have to keep everyone in the dark...including us.

But I would say its an understatement that the USA is far, far ahead technology wise than the others.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Speaking of BMW, I saw its new Skunks works craft driving down the road today. It is a definite eye grabber.

www.google.com... 52Fbmw-i8-spyder-concept%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=AD5giiUQ9LGwFM%253A%252C2zSFhLFZDpHgeM%252C_&usg=__4LPTWW1lhx4witXM2xnF9Tb2inA%3D&biw=1920&bih=971& ved=0ahUKEwjy97SMv5bLAhVK5yYKHeBKB5QQyjcIPw&ei=ptPQVvKMNsrOmwHglZ2gCQ#imgrc=_pxMxFVhXLW6jM%3A

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If anyone has seen the B-2 down low mimicking the Bone(B-1) you would know that it will be a very hard plane to take out. You can not hear the B-2 coming until its way to late!!! When it gets past you it sounds like a B-52 but the enemy wont be alive to hear anything.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Leave it to a physicist to figure out a part of my riddle nearly immediately. I'm sure you have the rest figured out too.

Lets have fun and see if they can figure out what that light along the leading edge could be and why.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Complacency kills. Procrastination kills.

We're definitely guilty of the latter and I am warning of the former.

And we have to show off our toys to some extent or folks think they will be able to take us down.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

To your knowledge, are there any differences in the payload between the B-21 and former incarnations?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha
USA did a lot of showing off in 2014. We got some really amazing things up our sleeve. I know dat much.

Some things are so damned cool to see they will re-spark a interest in aviation altogether. And, leave you wondering and/or saying out loud for a long time after "how'd they do that!?! Hows it work? No, seriously, how'd they do that?"

Guaranteed

edit on 26-2-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
When you take a B-2 with 80s thinking and then put it into a new B-21 with true 5th gen engineering, sensor fusion and better engines with supper cruise its a no brainier. It will increase your time over the target nation to reap massive destruction upon said enemy nation and give the crews a lot more survivable platform. Combine these with a unknown number of stealth and un-stealth drones knocking radar sites offline at will before these ever roam over the defended target nation, you can almost assure a 100 percent destruction of said target.

They will have more speed and fuel to get the hell out of the area when they need it. Its no doubt even the B-2 has an escape speed that is normally NEVER used, to get away from a nuclear blast, At that point RCS is not a big concern where as haul ass low and fast is.

Northrop is the only company that can build a new bomber cheap given what they know and have learned with the B-2. Lockheed is busy enough at screwing up everything they have built lately. Lockheed would have made it look cooler but Congress would have shat themselves over the cost and we would have not seen the bomber at all as they would have pulled the plug.

Given the nature of hostilities today, the final roll out will probably be something jaw dropping just as the B-2 was back then.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

It's smaller than the B-2, but at the same time there are rumors that it can carry things no other bomber can. Supposedly it will have a limited air to air ability, and the sensor fusion makes the F-35 look like something from the 70s.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Why we don't see it ? I never see something like that why using the same old technology if there is lot more cool thing why ?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join