It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Johnson & Johnson to Pay $72 Million in Lawsuit Linking Talcum Powder to Ovarian Cancer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Well well well, it appears we have family friendly billion dollar a year "health" care company peddling products that cause cancer.

I wish I could say that I am surprised however given the toxic environment our corporate overlords have created, I am not in the least.

Spread this info to you friends and family!

Several studies have been conducted which link talc powder to ovarian cancer and talc is a common ingredient in many Johnson & Johnson products. In 23 case-controlled studies conducted by the International Journal of Gynecological Cancer in May of 2015 found that talc use increased the risk of ovarian cancer by 30-60 percent in “almost all well-designed studies.” While studies had been previously unable to determine whether talc played a role in ovarian cancer, International Journal of Gynecological Cancer concluded that their results “suggest that talc use causes ovarian cancer.” Several other recent studies, including one conducted by the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, confirmed those same results.

Yea you know a 30-60% increased risk is really not anything to worry about.

I would ask the question of where has the FDA been however that question is sadly rhetorical, their job is to give the illusion of caring for public safety while ensuring a nonstop onslaught of wonderful chemicals make their way to kids as young as possible. How else do you keep someone on some tender loving medication from cradle to grave!?

A little about this multinational company.

Our Family of Companies comprises:
The world’s sixth-largest consumer health company
The world’s most comprehensive medical devices business
The world’s sixth-largest biologics company
And the world’s fifth-largest pharmaceuticals company

Ah at least the worlds Big pharma companies maintain a murderous track record together!

Hopefully with this court case other families that have been affected by this companies reckless actions will be able to find compensation, this website links to attorneys who have been fighting the fight.

Talcum powder ovarian cancer lawsuit recall settlement.

The lawsuits involving talcum powder state that the manufacturers have failed to warn users of the increased risk of ovarian cancer caused by using talc-based products for personal hygiene use. Specifically, the lawsuits claim that the manufacturers of talcum powder have known for more than 40 years there is a link between talcum powder and ovarian cancer.

For more than 40 years!

I hope this bankrupts them!
edit on America/ChicagoFridayAmerica/Chicago02America/Chicago229amFriday5 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove
Yea you know a 30-60% increase really is not anything to worry about.

Let's not sensationalize that statement. A woman's chances of getting ovarian cancer statistically is 1 in 58. You're increasing the risk (of 1 in 58) from anything between 30% and 60% according to the studies conducted, and it doesn't say how they were conducted.

This does not mean a woman's chances of getting ovarian cancer is now anywhere between 30% and 60% following exposure to talc!

I admit, talc probably isn't very safe however neither are the majority of products you probably use everyday which probably increase your risk of any specific cancer by [x]%.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

I am simply emphasizing the increased risk that the 23 case controlled studies conducted by the International Journal of Gynecological Cancer found.

Any increase to cancer is worth being concerned about especially when it has been known for as long as it has.

I edited my opening post, my wording was not as clear as it should have been, thank you for pointing it out!

As to the amount of cancer causing chemicals in the wide variety of products available, I have taken measures to avoid as many as possible. It begins with awareness and apparently even baby powder is something to avoid! Also does not make cancer causing chemicals something to be accepted as normal.
edit on America/ChicagoFridayAmerica/Chicago02America/Chicago229amFriday5 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

I do not disagree with you, not at all. I just do not want any ATS member who use talc on themselves or their kids to now think they have exposed them to cancer.

To your point, yes increased risk is definitely and always will be a concern. Every day we are learning that the products we have been using for generations could potentially be hazardous to health. Some more-so than others. What doesn't help is the ambiguity surrounding the pharmaceutical companies and their quest for a cure. I am not anti-pharma, nor do I believe they are 'all bad' however I believe they have damaged their reputation and as a society all we want is one thing, a cure. I don't think the majority of us trust them to find one any time soon. Regardless, my fingers are crossed that we will.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Thank you. This is typical alarmist crap where they use a high percent increase in something with relatively low risk to make a headline. They've done it with things that have a much lower risk too. People have no idea of the actual risks they encounter in their daily lives and the media plays on manufactured fears.

Look at the actual numbers. This settlement is a throw-away to get rid of lawyers.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Thank you. This is typical alarmist crap where they use a high percent increase in something with relatively low risk to make a headline. They've done it with things that have a much lower risk too. People have no idea of the actual risks they encounter in their daily lives and the media plays on manufactured fears.

Look at the actual numbers. This settlement is a throw-away to get rid of lawyers.

Let me ask you something here, you state that people have no idea the actual risks they encounter in their daily lives... could you be a bit more specific?

I could really go on to a rant as to the litany of chemicals that are available at walmart that people cheaply dowse themselves with however I shall wait to hear what you are getting at.

As far as the media, they seem to be complicit in not bringing to light the risks that people are actually facing! Unless you would like to ask your doctor for some lovely side effects!

I somehow doubt that awarding the plaintiff 72 million dollars will result in "getting rid" of the lawyers.
edit on America/ChicagoFridayAmerica/Chicago02America/Chicago229amFriday6 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk

I do not disagree with you, not at all. I just do not want any ATS member who use talc on themselves or their kids to now think they have exposed them to cancer.

To your point, yes increased risk is definitely and always will be a concern. Every day we are learning that the products we have been using for generations could potentially be hazardous to health. Some more-so than others. What doesn't help is the ambiguity surrounding the pharmaceutical companies and their quest for a cure. I am not anti-pharma, nor do I believe they are 'all bad' however I believe they have damaged their reputation and as a society all we want is one thing, a cure. I don't think the majority of us trust them to find one any time soon. Regardless, my fingers are crossed that we will.

Aye and I appreciate your pointing out the problem with my initial wording! This is my first exposure to there being an issue with talc powder and to be honest I am shocked and in hindsight, know that I should not be.

I do not trust big pharma in any way shape or form. To say they have damaged their reputation is quite a kind way of putting it. I believe their standard criminal practice is at the core of the corruption within our society. Resulting in a trillion dollar a year health care industry.

I do not believe it to be accident, but more a concerted effort of decades worth of conspiracy. The name of the game is to make our environment as toxic as possible. The more sick people the better and now our healthcare industry is too big to fail!
edit on America/ChicagoFridayAmerica/Chicago02America/Chicago229amFriday6 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Let me ask you something here, you state that people have no idea the actual risks they encounter in their daily lives... could you be a bit more specific?

I could really go on to a rant as to the litany of chemicals that are available at walmart that people cheaply dowse themselves with however I shall wait to hear what you are getting at.

As far as the media, they seem to be complicit in not bringing to light the risks that people are actually facing! Monsanto would be a nice case and point about the failings of the corporate media.

I agree about all the chemicals and that's my point. We are so immersed in chemicals that we likely suffer synergistic effects that we don't even know about. Then there's indoor air pollution, contaminated ground water, car safety, and about a billion other things. We know processed foods are not good for us, but we're sure eating lots of them. The world is full of toxins, including natural ones, and here we get a story about talc and the "huge" percentage increase in risk. I'd be curious to see how they correlate over time to see if there was also an increase in other cancers not associated with talc. That might be the real scary number, that other cancers are increasing too and nobody knows a precise cause.

We need to seriously reevaluate how we treat the world and what's important to us. Talc is a pretty silly headline and, like I said, this is a throw-away lawsuit to get rid of lawyers.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Well, risk. But, what's risk? People don't get out of bed and think about the fact there is a risk they may die that day!

“It’s important to remember the size of the possible risk – a 20 year old woman in the UK has a risk of getting ovarian cancer at some point in her life of 18 in a thousand; a 20 per cent increase in this risk would raise this to 22 in a thousand.”

Source Telegraph

On wider risks...

- There's a 100% chance we'll all die.
- There's a risk every time we get in a car, turn a light, are born, sleep in a tent or walk in the rain. Hospitals are full of people whose number has come up and (shock horror) actually got in the car instead of sitting at home wearing a crash helmet.

We are getting to a point in society when every product we buy will have a health warning, just to keep the lawyers at bay, like the coverall "warning, may contain nuts". We'll buy a box of chocolates, or a carrot, and there will be a warning that they make you fat, thin, increase cancer risk, or reduce, make you explode, angry, sad, artistic, spotty, clean skinned, flatulent, a moron, unfashionable, sick etc...

It's rather sad.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I admit, talc probably isn't very safe however neither are the majority of products you probably use everyday which probably increase your risk of any specific cancer by [x]%.
This is a non sequitur. There are all kinds of things that could kill a person but what does that have to do with the fact that “the manufacturers of talcum powder have known for more than 40 years there is a link between talcum powder and ovarian cancer.” How many women have died from ovarian cancer over that past 40+ years that could have been prevented by not using talcum powder?

It’s like going from denial to despair. Don’t down play these statistics and then jump to concede that we are going to die anyway. There are many of us that live in the middle and try to protect ourselves and those we care about from getting cancer if at all possible. This case raises some alarms that’s for sure.

edit on 2/26/2016 by Devino because: bold

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Thank you. This is typical alarmist crap where they use a high percent increase in something with relatively low risk to make a headline.
You must be one of the lucky ones that have not had anyone you care about die from cancer, I truly hope that is the case. I'm concerned and I am willing to go out of my way to avoid cancer if at all possible. To learn that a company like Johnson & Johnson has failed to list a known carcinogen that continues to be used in their products is, in fact, liable and criminal in my opinion.

Talc use increased ovarian cancer risk by 30–60%
That's a huge increase no matter how low the original risk was.

The Attributable Risk was 29%, meaning that elimination of talc use could protect more than one quarter or more of women who develop ovarian cancer
Perhaps this statistic makes a better point. More than 25% of ovarian cancer patients could have been prevented by simply not using talcum powder, this study shows. If only they listed the possible risks.
Source

Look at the actual numbers.
That’s a good idea. What are those numbers?

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I agree about all the chemicals and that's my point. We are so immersed in chemicals that we likely suffer synergistic effects that we don't even know about. Then there's indoor air pollution, contaminated ground water, car safety, and about a billion other things. We know processed foods are not good for us, but we're sure eating lots of them. The world is full of toxins, including natural ones,
Non sequitur. The OP has a valid point and attempting to down play this by claiming life is a risk and we are all going to die does not help the topic one bit. It is actually a deflection and a false argument.

You are very correct that there are many things that could kill us and it is practically impossible to be aware of them all but don’t give up. The idea is to learn what we can and avoid known problems whenever possible. The problem here is the deliberate obfuscation in this situation and those responsible should be held accountable.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Devino

I've used that powder on my CHILDREN. There had Better not be a problem,or something nice+prim+proper like a lawsuit is the LEAST the CEO's of J+J will have to worry about. The world is small now,what with those darn brothers Wright and their flying machine-gadgets. There had Better not be a problem.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I think this whole thing is a load of crap. People have been using powder for decades, especially women. Now all of a sudden it's bad for you and some jerk(s) decide to sue J&J over it.

No one should get a dime from this lawsuit. Nobody made you use powder.

You can have my Gold Bond when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers when I'm 92 years old.

edit on 2/26/16 by 123143 because: BLOODY SPELLING.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane
After some reading on this subject I find quite a lot of ambiguity as to the link between talc and ovarian cancer. There is evidence that talc is an irritant that might lead to ovarian cancer and studies that suggest a link yet many others that claim otherwise. I had no idea that talcum powder could make its way up into the ovaries. I’m sure many more lawsuits will be coming so we can wait to see what happens. In the meantime there are alternatives one could use;

Safe Natural Non-Toxic Talc Substitutes
1. arrowroot powder
2. chickpea powder
3. baking soda
4. corn flour
5. cornstarch
6. rice flour
7. oat flour
8. French green clay, finely ground
9. white clay, finely ground
10. powdered calendula blossoms
11. powdered lavender buds
12. powdered rose petals
13. powdered chamomile flowers
14. powdered neem herbs
14 Natural Talcum Powder Alternatives

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Devino

I agree about all the chemicals and that's my point. We are so immersed in chemicals that we likely suffer synergistic effects that we don't even know about. Then there's indoor air pollution, contaminated ground water, car safety, and about a billion other things. We know processed foods are not good for us, but we're sure eating lots of them. The world is full of toxins, including natural ones,
Non sequitur. The OP has a valid point and attempting to down play this by claiming life is a risk and we are all going to die does not help the topic one bit. It is actually a deflection and a false argument.

You are very correct that there are many things that could kill us and it is practically impossible to be aware of them all but don’t give up. The idea is to learn what we can and avoid known problems whenever possible. The problem here is the deliberate obfuscation in this situation and those responsible should be held accountable.

Devino I would like to thank you for picking up where I would have had I been able to access the internet!

I started this thread before leaving work and thought I would be able to continue the conversation up on getting home however I had issues connecting through my WIFI.

You have made the points that I would have liked to and once again I would like to offer my gratitude.

The issue is that Johnson and Johnson continued to offer the Talc powder after issues of its safety were raised. For god's sake it is marketed to children and is worth being concerned about. It is as if there is some kind of secret plan to make the population as sick as possible.

It is kind of like the nursery water that advertises that they add FLUORIDE and apparently there is a freaking market for it!
edit on America/ChicagoFridayAmerica/Chicago02America/Chicago229pmFriday5 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

After some reading on this subject I find quite a lot of ambiguity as to the link between talc and ovarian cancer. There is evidence that talc is an irritant that might lead to ovarian cancer and studies that suggest a link yet many others that claim otherwise. I had no idea that talcum powder could make its way up into the ovaries. I’m sure many more lawsuits will be coming so we can wait to see what happens. In the meantime there are alternatives one could use;

So after some further reading you're saying that the link is ambiguous, which supports what I said. I also said I'd like to see how this data correlates over time, because time is a factor. There are so many factors that figure into cancer like genetics, obesity, and age, that it becomes incredibly difficult to really track risk factors over time. I'm educated in human health risk assessment. It's crunching numbers and looking at actual risk... and part of risk assessment usually involves education because perceived risk is quite often much different than actual risk.

The media is part of the problem. Do you recall the summer of sharks? It was a media craze that made it seem like there was a holocaust of shark attacks. The reality was that the numbers had barely changed. It's sensationalizing headlines to get attention and it does real damage to anybody trying to educate the public about real risks.

I wish there were as many news stories about washing vegetables to remove the known carcinogenic pesticides as I see about spree killers. I'm willing to bet you know a whole lot more people that eat vegetables than people that have dealt with a spree killer. It's likely every person you know could prevent poison from entering their body by simply washing their vegetables properly if they knew the risk. How many people do you think you'll meet in your lifetime that will benefit from worrying about a spree killer? Add child abduction into that list too. Incredibly low risk compared to those associated with feeding your child known carcinogenic poison, that you could prevent if you were educated about it. How does that risk stack up?

I also stand by this as being a throw-away settlement to get rid of the lawyers. Given the fact that nearly everybody I knew growing up had talc used on them as a baby, and I believe this to be the case for decades, that is not a settlement any lawyer would accept if they had solid evidence of this connection.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   

See my response to Devino above. It addresses the response and I completely disagree that it is a non sequitur, it actually deals directly with your idea that the media is complicit. I just disagree about the how and why they are complicit.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

This is a non sequitur. There are all kinds of things that could kill a person but what does that have to do with the fact that “the manufacturers of talcum powder have known for more than 40 years there is a link between talcum powder and ovarian cancer.” How many women have died from ovarian cancer over that past 40+ years that could have been prevented by not using talcum powder?

It’s like going from denial to despair. Don’t down play these statistics and then jump to concede that we are going to die anyway. There are many of us that live in the middle and try to protect ourselves and those we care about from getting cancer if at all possible. This case raises some alarms that’s for sure.

I assume you haven't seen the IARC's list of carcinogens. Talc is the least of your worries.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

See my response to Devino above. It addresses the response and I completely disagree that it is a non sequitur, it actually deals directly with your idea that the media is complicit. I just disagree about the how and why they are complicit.

The media is hands down one of the greatest weapons the elite have in their psychological warfare that they unleash against us. I see the issue as being part of a collective conspiracy from beginning with the educational industry that funds the "science" more accurately corporate science, leading to the talking heads of agreement at the media who draw attention to anything they would like.

As opposed to talking about proven dangers of fluoridation they talk about sharks! LOL

As opposed to talking about legitimate concerns about GMO's from around the world they talk about the Kardashians.

Perhaps you are correct and there will be nothing more to the Talcum powder issue, I tend to believe we have not seen the end of it. I put Johnson and Johnson in the same category as Bayer and it will take some work to make me change my mind!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join