It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GE9X begins assembly

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

12 year old me would like to have a word with you.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Spent many days climbing through Jumbos.Only thing I found Airbus good for was their jet wash coming out of Ansett terminal which pushed your bike along the Tarmac down to the Herc Hangar ...

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick
Yes and no. The GE9X could form the basis of a NEO for the 380 but it would need to be de-rated substantially to around 80,000lbs and (which would partly happen anyway as a result of needing to shrink the fan for acceptable ground clearance on the #2/3 engines) would need to shed weight I suspect. This however may destroy the efficiencies gained as the designs are optimized around particular performance metrics.

I believe that it is NOT the end of large 4 engined aircraft as paradoxically the greater the performance and fuel efficiency gains the more you encourage air travel through lowering of ticket prices. This coupled with explosive growth in markets such as China inevitably leads to the kind of congestion we are already being warned about and seeing in Europe for example. Point to point services using 787/A350 style models will go some way to distributing this pressure but the reality is big airports are usually big for a reason, people want to go there and not some other place. This is partly (but not entirely) why Boeing has stretched the 777X over the legacy models. The more bums you can put on one flight the less headaches you have with gate slots and the greater the profit margin an airline can garner from a revenue flight.

However having said all this, do not expect any potential A380NEO or the 777X to realistically offer more leg room with an airframe stretch. It will simply be used to pack in more passengers at ever lowering prices, into slot constrained desirable destination airports.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
You talk like you should be volunteering down at HARS along with all the other retired tragic's. Actually they could do with a few more sheeties.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz
Put him in the time machine and Ill set him right.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Airbus sucks!

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Oh you lookin to start somethin? Cause I dont see anybody else here so you must be talkin to me! Go ahead, make my day.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

We used to launch our helicopters from the angle deck on a carrier. It wasn't unusual to have an F-14 on both bow catapults and two more in line. You would be getting the heat and jet blast from up to 8 TF-30s at one time. I have had grease on my life vest start smoking from it.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

There's a fun video making the rounds of a Tomcat launch that goes badly. I think it was one of the CVs. They were only supposed to use the bow cats for the F-14, because the waist didn't have the deflectors. For some reason they were using the waist in the video.

The Tomcat that was hooked up goes to power, and you suddenly see the one waiting begins him spin sideways and the nose drop off the side of the deck and get stuck hanging there.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Looks like the various GE businesses had to position themselves with other partners to get the ceramic matrix composites (CMC) set up to be used in their engines. They are set up in Huntsville, and supply materials for the other GE research labs. This is a really good read explaining how it has all come into being. The CMC reduce the number of fan blades, which also shrinks the shaft diameter which reduces weight... everything is in movement towards the lighter side!

For those that like geeky things like ceramic composites and a good of review of how GE got to producing the 9X,

GE.com, reports (2016) - Space Age Ceramics Are Aviation’s New Cup Of Tea.

edit on 21-5-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: formatting

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure that happened on the Coral Sea. I zigged when I should have zagged and went about 200 feet head over heals. Thankfully we were in the North Atlantic and my heavy clothing protected me.

I take that back it was the Independence.

www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 21-5-2018 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The real fun starts when they begin ewith moving parts.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I want to know how long it took to remove the seat pans.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

So are you saying that was actually you that we see eject from the Tomcat that almost went off the deck?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Probably still got them inserted. I dont imagine they are easy to remove.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

No. I've rode in them. I was working on the flight deck when a F-14 turned the wrong way and I got blown down the flight deck.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

They spit out the seat cushions. You know "pucker factor".

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The GE9X officially took the record from the GE90. It was certified by Guiness at 134,300 pounds of thrust. The GE90 record was 127,900 pounds.

posted on Jul, 14 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Thats quite a wide margin between rated and tested. Hopefully that means there is growth room should it be needed or more likely a less stressed engine. The stats on the CMC materials are quite staggering for the potential they hold. Now if they can only manage and overcome those recent issues they have had we might just get a good motor for the 777X family. We dont need a repeat of the LEAP fiasco.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join