It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard abolishes 'master' in titles in slavery row

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: stinkelbaum
this kind of thing has zilch to do with political correctness.
its more about a stuffy old establishment catching up with the 21st century.
maybe the 20th?
if you need to be called master, fine demand it.
however, the op does state

What next? Ban all white people from opening there mouths in general? Ban the English laungage for being racist?

which probably says more about his stance.
why only white people, why only the english language?
maybe you should head over to stormfront if they are your beliefs.

That less offensive for your delicate eyes or do the dots offend you too?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: kaylaluv

Because usually as with everything in our nation and with the help of "activist" it tends to spill on the rest of the population as a statement.

Not to mention the fact these children should be at university to get a education.

They should be the future doctors, scientists, engineers and lawyers.

But wasting time on this nonsense means they will graduate useless.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok I am writing this from my safe space so I don't feel threatened. I find this wonderfully PC from the ultimate elitist school that is far removed from reality. Maybe this is just cover for the racism and elitism that runs rampant through the school and the alumni.
Given their goals, their new seal should include a border of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

edit on 2/26/2016 by pteridine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Because usually as with everything in our nation and with the help of "activist" it tends to spill on the rest of the population as a statement.

Not to mention the fact these children should be at university to get a education.

Garbage in, garbage out.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Just think! Those will be the future leaders of your country!

Garbage in, garbage out.

How thrilled you must be!
edit on 26-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: crazyewok

If someone doesn't want to use a word, for whatever reason, I really don't care. It's about as important to me as the announcement that Harvard is changing their lunch menu to include tater tots.

I sometimes wonder why things like this (decisions by others) bothers people so much...

The problem is that they changed it because using the term was considered racist. Only someone completely blind does not see the problem here.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Garbage in, garbage out.

How thrilled you must be!

It's already garbage out. The future is now.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
a reply to: crazyewok I am writing this from my safe space so I don't feel threatened. I find this wonderfully PC from the ultimate elitist school that is far removed from reality. Maybe this is just cover for the racism and elitism that runs rampant through the school and the alumni.
Given their goals, their new seal should include a border of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Better check that micro aggression of yours its offending me

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
So i'm guessing no black college student would ever want a Master's Degree in their field of study? Or be known as a master craftsman,or a master at anything they excel at? Oh god this pc crap makes me want to puke

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
So i'm guessing no black college student would ever want a Master's Degree in their field of study? Or be known as a master craftsman,or a master at anything they excel at? Oh god this pc crap makes me want to puke

You offended me with the term craftman. It's not inclusive of women. It should be craft person.

I'm going to sit in my safe space and cry

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

What a future, when the future politicians are nothing but to become activist in congress to turn stupidity into laws.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

What a future, when the future politicians are nothing but to become activist in congress to turn stupidity into laws.

Wait till they turn the entire US army/marines/airforce and navy into a safe space :p

Forget China or Russia you will be surrendering to Costa rica

Edit sorry probably can't use the word surrender as might upset the French. Involuntary national merger better?

Mlol

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

thanks for the thread... been an amusing read.

Also nice to see someone from outside the US, looking at us going WTF is wrong with you... makes me feel better about my own observations about the insanity that has become our learning institutions. (IE I am not nuts/racists/hateful)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
No one born in the last fifty years hears "Master" and thinks "Slavery."

They are "Master" and think "Jedi", or "High level", or "Really good at X."

This is just stuuuuuuupiiiid.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I think it's sad in general.
harvad was one of the great university's that had contributed to mankind in general.

To lose such a place to libral mediocrity is not just a loss for the USA but the world

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Lmao! How long before they start calling master's degrees "equality degrees" or some such nonsense.

These BLM students are going to graduate and have absolutely no skills to succeed in real life. I'm glad I had a conservative professor when I was in school. He didn't care who you were or why you were there. If you didn't learn the material and answer the tests correctly you failed. He always said "I don't give grades, you earn them". Also if you showed up late for class, he was likely to lock the door and leave you out in the hall. His reasoning is if you showed up late to a job, would you be able to keep it? His teaching methods would probably be "microaggressions" to one of these BLM students.

He was a pain in the rear and I really didn't like him at the time. But looking back I'm glad I had him. He pushed you to succeed and that's what you go to college for. What are BLM students going to college for? It seems all they do is loaf around, hold protests, and whine about things. How do they pass classes? What work are they doing?

If you show up to a job and start protesting about "microaggressions" you aren't going to have a job for very long. These kids are just setting themselves up for failure.

It's hilarious that students graduating from one of our country's most prestigious universities are going to be pretty much unemployable after they graduate. I can't wait to hear the tear-filled sob stories in a few years, and it will be all their own fault. You can't expect everyone to carry you through life just by whining and playing the race card. A degree is worth nothing if you don't have a positive attitude and a hard work ethic.

Sorry for the rant. I didn't expect to type this much.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Slavery was very bad, yes, however, it is also a generation distinction and there is nothing we can do about that. It was a way of life and accepted back then (more so by the whites than the blacks of course).

Master was never a racist word to me until I opened this thread. I believe trying to ban all bad words, flags, etc, keeps slavery alive.

We need to accept our pasts, and all its flaws, not try and delete it by not using certain words, etc. We should be proud that we have overcome our past generational flaws.

(I say this while being very liberal and non-tolerant of anything racist) But very accepting of the past good or bad.
edit on 26-2-2016 by veracity because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2016 by veracity because: typos

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Oh i'm sorry,what was i Thinking?? me with my awful un-pc ass,can't take me anywhere

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane

Oh i'm sorry,what was i Thinking?? me with my awful un-pc ass,can't take me anywhere

I don't like the phrase thinking.
It could offend those in comas

I prefer the term cognitively able.
We should be careful not to assert our cognitive privilege.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I agree 100%...

But until the lazy stupid Americans get educated and start putting the people that play these blame games in the unemployment line instead of re-electing their sorry butts... I see things only getting worse.

we have decades of hard work and hard choices ahead of us if we want to fix things... I dont know if we have the will or the strength to do so anymore.

So I expect our colleges to continue the long fast slide into mediocrity.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join