It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard abolishes 'master' in titles in slavery row

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

So will the students be forced to deanbate when alone in their dorms now?

Yup, and Metallica has just received word that the trademark office has issued an order for them to change their album's name to Dean of Puppets.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Oh well, in for a penny...

What will we do with He-Man: __________ of the Universe? And his arch-enemy Skeletor? Will he now be "Thin But In No Way Better Than Overweight man"?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
That's not what this is about. Changing things for irrational and ridiculous reasons is what it is about.

Clearly, it's not irrational, nonsensical and ridiculous to them. So, it's not what they did, but WHY they did it that bothers so many here!

originally posted by: DISRAELI
We could turn your question round and ask "Why did the fact that Harvard was previously using the innocent word Master bother the original complainants?" If "not caring what others do" is a virtue, why did they not apply it themselves?

I can't speak for them anymore than I can speak for those here whose panties are in a bunch because of WHY they changed their word. As far as I can tell, you're ALL in a snit because of what someone else is deciding to do or say. It all looks the same to me...

Someone complains about a word because they're OFFENDED and they get it changed.
Then someone complains about it because they're OFFENDED by the REASON it was changed.

Two sides of the same coin. You're just as bad as those who complained in the first place, IMO.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
That's not what this is about. Changing things for irrational and ridiculous reasons is what it is about.

Clearly, it's not irrational, nonsensical and ridiculous to them. So, it's not what they did, but WHY they did it that bothers so many here!

originally posted by: DISRAELI
We could turn your question round and ask "Why did the fact that Harvard was previously using the innocent word Master bother the original complainants?" If "not caring what others do" is a virtue, why did they not apply it themselves?

I can't speak for them anymore than I can speak for those here whose panties are in a bunch because of WHY they changed their word. As far as I can tell, you're ALL in a snit because of what someone else is deciding to do or say. It all looks the same to me...

Someone complains about a word because they're OFFENDED and they get it changed.
Then someone complains about it because they're OFFENDED by the REASON it was changed.

Two sides of the same coin. You're just as bad as those who complained in the first place, IMO.

I am offended by the use of the words panties, Snit and reason.

I want you to stop useing them please so they dont offend me.
edit on 25-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
when my son went to college, they had a "dorm manager"...upper classman that monitored a certain floor(s)....no big deal. you went to him first for any issues...I.E. plumbing, noise, repair, etc...he was the go-between for students and school officials.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
when my son went to college, they had a "dorm manager"...upper classman that monitored a certain floor(s)....no big deal. you went to him first for any issues...I.E. plumbing, noise, repair, etc...he was the go-between for students and school officials.

I dont like the words manager, Classman or go-between.

They offend me. Please stop useing them.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I don't like your member's name, is offensive and tells me that you like to be the seeker of truth, that makes me feel left out and demeaned, I am having severe loss of my dignity of and respect

edit on 25-2-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I shall just leave this emoji here then, shall I?

ಠ_ಠ

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: seeker1963

I don't like your member's name, is offensive and tells me that you like to be the seeker of truth, that makes me feel left out and demeaned, I am having severe loss in the dignity of and respect for

I don’t like your name Marg.
It reminds me of margarine and eating to much killed my grandfather with heart disease and think it demening to people with heart conditions.

edit on 25-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
As far as I can tell, you're ALL in a snit because of what someone else is deciding to do or say. It all looks the same to me...

Because the power of tyranny grows if nobody tries to resist it.
That's the lesson of one of Bonhoeffer's most famous sayings ("...then they came for me").
Some of us can see a moral difference between imposing a stupid and irrational tyranny, and offering protest against a stupid and irrational tyranny before its power grows much further.

There is also an element of exasperation over the fact that these power-brokers are patently failing to understand how language works.
Their principle is that a word is only allowed to have one meaning. If it has been used in ONE sense that is bad, it must be banned for all other senses as well.
Like the idiots on this side of the Atlantic who wanted to ban the phrase "black coffee" because it was using the word "black" in a non-ethnic sense.
When the intelligentsia are producing this kind of nonsense, it is hard not to despair.

edit on 25-2-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Marg comes from Margarita, if that helps perhaps thinking of the beach and sipping Margaritas.

we better stop of we will get our post taken away.

Anyway, going back to the main topic, is a trend in this country that is been geared to appease minorities, that is eroding Americas will and need for fight in order to be better and more productive as citizens.

Who gives a crap about certain working, why if have to offend some, very soon we will not even be directly address anybody verbally without an implanted spell check in our forehead.

Don't like it, don't read it, don't listen to it and leave me the hell alone.

The last one is not geared to you crazyewokjust to stupid people that have nothing better to do with their lives, but crying foul place at every chance they have like rotten babies.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Hell reading all the post is now actually making me feel offended, alienate and oppressed, I want ATS to change all their working.

How about that.

I find the word "above" offensive. I propose the name be changed to "Evenly Top Secret" this instant!

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Privileged Cis-male and the Deans of the Universe.

You're worried about Skeletor? These modern PC freaks wouls have a melt down over names like "Man-At-Arms", "Man E Faces," "Ram Man," "She-Ra," and God help us all, "Fisto."

As I said earlier, I'm amused at how quickly some individuals are to display a complete lack of skin thickness, testicular fortitude, or emotional stability. I'm also amazed the strong majority of all these groups haven't stood up and said "enough is enough!" and separated themselves from these weak little crybabies. That part of it is sad to me, the rest of it is riotously entertaining. I adore the fact that I can make someone out there curl into the fetal position, shaking in rage and fear, simply by simply talking about a "Balding fatass who was such a retard, he couldn't even figure out how to set up a slave hard drive on his PC." I ADORE it. If everything I do can be taken as a microaggression by someone, no matter how unoffensive you're trying to be, then why not just go hog nuts and start dropping macroaggressions like daisy cutters in Torrah Bora?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
And people wonder why I want to retire as far away from people as I can possibly get...

I keep getting asked what if you have a heart attack.. well I guess I die... but I wont be driven crazy by people being offended over noise on the wind... and needing a safe space from hurtful words, and thinking hurtful words are on the same level as a terrorist attack in paris.

I am getting close to the same opinion of colleges as I have for the city of chicago... move all the people bull doze the buildings and start over.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Now I find your name insensitive to alcoholics, Marg. I'd suggest you cange it to ALANON... but then those of us who are unapologetic drinkers will risk being offended.

The world needs to go to a numeral-based naming convention, of course skipping the lower numbers so nobody in the millions feels oppressed when they encounter the low number privilege of, say, Human #137.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I am getting close to the same opinion of colleges as I have for the city of chicago... move all the people bull doze the buildings and start over.

...and I ask "Why move all the people?" Efficiency is important after all. Save time by just jumping right into those dozers and punching them into 2nd gear.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
the ensuing temper tantrums

You seem angry, diddums.

Perhaps you don't quite understand the issue and are projecting your own insecurities onto it. I wouldn't, actually, expect anything less from someone who thought it was appropriate to use the confederate flag (intentional lower case) in their avatar (especially as a moderator, though god knows how you got that lark with all your bluster and ignorance?).

You need to research 'White privilege' and actively endeavour to understand the concept.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Actually is some people that finds my name refreshing and intoxicating and citrucy.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Definition of master

a (1) : a male teacher (2) : a person holding an academic degree higher than a bachelor's but lower than a doctor's

b often capitalized : a revered religious leader

c : a worker or artisan qualified to teach apprentices

d (1) : an artist, performer, or player of consummate skill (2) : a great figure of the past (as in science or art) whose work serves as a model or ideal

a : one having authority over another : ruler, governor

b : one that conquers or masters : victor, superior

c : a person licensed to command a merchant ship

d (1) : one having control (2) : an owner especially of a slave or animal

e : the employer especially of a servant

f (1) dial : husband (2) : the male head of a household

a (1) archaic : mr. (2) : a youth or boy too young to be called mister —used as a title

b : the eldest son of a Scottish viscount or baron

a : a presiding officer in an institution or society (as a college)

b : any of several officers of court appointed to assist (as by hearing and reporting) a judge

a : a master mechanism or device

b : an original from which copies can be made; especially : a master recording (as a magnetic tape)

Only in America you can make an argument about what is considered racist.

No wonder our nation is been turned into crap.

www.merriam-webster.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

1. You mean this avatar?

2. No, not angry. Amused and mocking, absolutely, but not angry. As I said above, I solve these issues with my own personal code which involves a stick and liberal amounts of poking with said stick. It is the only way to fix people, IMO.
3. I don't presently have a copy of "Ridiculous things invented by modern society to explain and excuse other people's personal failures" handy, but if I do ever get a copy in my hands, I'll be sure to read the chapter on White Privilege. Hell, maybe I'll even modernize the old "Snipe hunt" game we'd get tricked by adults into playing as kids... I can see it now, if you want a peaceful afternoon without kids underfoot, send them outside to find the white privilege!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join