It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help finding a new nausea medication

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hello all. Need some help.

I have Lupus which requires me to take a lot of medications that are not easy on the stomach.
Also have gastroparesis which on its own is hell on my stomach. Put simply my stomach is considered "lazy". Food can sometimes sit for a few days before being digested.

Now that my whining is out of the way I would like to pick your minds to help me find a better anti-nausea medication.

I have been on Phenerghan for years but it just isn't doing the job. I have to take up to 8 a day just to function. Thankfully it doesn't put me into a zombie like state as it does with most people.

I have tried Zofran, it helps a little better but my brilliant insurance company won't cover it.

I have smoked some herb and it helps tremendously. Unfortunately if I am not within 10 steps in range of a couch, bed, or chair I will wake up 12 hours later wherever I happened to have taken my two or three puffs. That's all it takes.

Does anyone out there have some ideas?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a prescription medication. I have read a million forums on the net with homeopathic remedies, but I don't want to spend the time (and money) experimenting with this mixed with that.

And to tell the truth, I trust the people here more than some web m.d. site with their cure of the month sponsored by some Big Pharmaceutical company. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Spader

Have you tried CBD? CBD products (if they have 0% THC) are legal in all 50 states and have been shown to help with autoimmune diseases such as lupus because it's such a good immunosuppressant (among possessing other helpful qualities)

www.leafly.com...

link   

edit on 25-2-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

link   

link   
dbl

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

My sympathies... I know it's rough when you're tummy's giving you trouble all day every day.

For immediate relief, a couple things that works for my daughter are castor oil packs on the tummy with a heating pad, and smelling something sour when nausea hits. Sounds crazy, but apparently most folks cannot feel nauseous and smell something sour at the same time. I would just cut up a lemon and let her sniff it. I also rolled it around real good before cutting to squeeze the essential oils out of the peel and the juices out of the pulp.

For long-term relief, you might consider high CBD cannabis oil to directly treat the lupus. I have read that it is effective for lupus, but I have no direct knowledge or experience with lupus. The high CBD oil is not psychoactive, so no worries about crashing, and it's legal in all 50 states.

For kinda intermediate relief, you might consider taking probiotics with meals to help with digestion. My husband has found relief by taking digestive enzymes with meals, such as "Super Digestaway." You could also eat pineapple or papaya -- or take their extracts, papain and bromelain.

My favorite starting place for finding home/natural remedies is Earth Clinic, and it can be searched by illness/symptom/remedy. Sometimes what works for one person doesn't work for another, but quite often folks will share their experiences, and you may be able to match your situation with someone elses and get a good idea of what will help. It's easy to search possibilities further once you know what you're looking for! Just be sure to search for contraindications with any medications you're taking, as well as known side effects. Even natural remedies have their adverse effects.

I hope you find what you need. Good luck!

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The most common natural remedy I know is ginger root. You could combine a small amount of dried ginger and slippery elm and make an herbal tea.
This link has both natural and pharmacy recommendations,
www.naturalremedies.org...
With slippery elm, take medications at least an hour before slippery elm,
www.livestrong.com...
With ginger root, there are a few contradiction and interactions to avoid or consult with doctor about,
medicinalplants.us...
As far as, digestive complaints, have you tried digestive enzymes?
www.livestrong.com...
Hope you find something safe and that works for you.
edit on 25-2-2016 by peppycat because: put wrong link and changed it to right one

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
I would like to thank you and FamCore for the responses.

I did look into Marinol, which is a derivative of MJ, minus the THC.

Only problem is that I had "unexplained" seizures in the past. (I'm 46)
And of course with my luck Marinol can induce seizures in people. I suppose the best answer I ever got from a neurologist is that if a medication "may" induce seizures in people with low thresholds I shouldn't take it.

I take Phenobarbital and haven't had one in quite some time (knock on wood) but don't want to chance other lives. So the Doc says its just best to avoid any possibility of having another.

Everything started for me when I was 19 and was playing baseball in college at a major SEC school.
The team Docs thought I was drinking too much and not eating enough. I was, BUT
after my first shoulder explosion things went downhill fast.
Wasn't diagnosed with Lupus until my kidneys shut down at 38 for no reason.

I must've kicked puppies around in a past life.

And here I go again. Rambling.

Thanks again.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Marinol is synthetic, but pure, natural CBD is not and is a strong anti-epileptic as well as immunosuppressant Here are a bunch of case studies on that - canna-dynamics.com...

I did send you a U2U with other info in case you're interested. Wishing you the best with this and sorry to hear you are having to experience such discomfort. Feel free to U2U me

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I have the same type of 'medically induced' digestive issues, and after trying many brands of (ineffective) digestive enzymes, recently came across one that works like a charm -

- it's called, Mega-Zyme and the brand is Enzymatic...

...I have found both ginger root (in various forms) and peppermint oil (either as a couple drops of the 'essential oil' in a glass of water or in peppermint tea) effective for nausea -

- do make sure and research that there are no issues with medication interactions.

Being on a lot of medications myself, I try to go with natural remedies for my digestion, as I feel it healthier than adding additional 'artificial' (pharmaceutical) stuff to already overburdened bodily systems.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I'm a reply to: lostgirl
I didn't immediately look up those products you so thoughtfully mentioned.

But I DID try for the first time a yogurt a client of my firm makes with an active culture in it the day before yesterday.

It did much more for me than Phenerghan does as far as the upset stomach considering it at least functioned as lunch as well.

Just doesn't do it all. But hey, it helps.

Thanks again.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Have you tried Ciyclizine? Sorry if this is one you have mentioned but under a different name, it just really helpsmy friend who has Lupus. a reply to: Spader

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I will second the peppermint and ginger.
Papain is an enzyme from the papaya fruit and that will also help with the digestion issues, as long as here are no interactions. There is also a product out there called Preggie pops used to help control morning sickness. They worked wonders for me and they are tasty.

I hope you feel better.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Sounds like the peppermint and ginger could help a lot with the stomach discomfort - that's some sounds advice.

More info on CBD and anti-convulsive/anti-epileptic properties insider.thcuniversity.org...

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Do they have you on an anti-metabolite drug or a anti-folate drug to control the Lupus? Those can reduce folate and methylation and sometimes it leads to problems with digestion.

I am kind of at odds of correcting the problem because I can easily suggest foods and supplements that can neutralize the effects of your medicines which might cause the lupus to get worse.

Cold actually stimulates acid production, drinking a little cold water can help with the stomach not digesting. Potatoes actually contain chemistry that can prevent nausea or motion sickness, but I am not sure it will work in your case. Milk can speed up the intestines getting rid of their contents and lower nausea if you are lactose intolerant.

Sorry I can't help more.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Ginger is great for nausea.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

When I would get car sick or morning sickness type of nausea I would suck on ling hi mui seeds, its like a salty dried plum. Good luck!

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth

Ginger is great for nausea.

In what form? The only ginger I have knowingly consumed has been the type served with Japanese egg rolls.

I do like the taste but is there a concentrate capsule form of ginger.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Could try root ginger can be difficult to digest, but ok if you take on full stomach. Reading your op again. Give the root ginger a miss. It is hard to digest
edit on 26-2-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens I take cyclizine with my chemo and also ondansetron, so good the NHS hates to prescribe it, but it's by far the best anti sickness
Medication available

top topics

<<   2 >>

join