It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The KC-46 race is on

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Boeing is feeling the pressure to deliver 18 KC-46 aircraft, related parts and supplies by August of 2017. That's the Required Assets Milestone for the program. The Air Force has said there's almost no chance of reaching IOC on time, but that's not related to the contract.

The best price point for the Air Force is 15 aircraft a year. They can't order the first two LRIP lots (7 in LRIP 1 and 12 in LRIP 2) until Milestone C is reached. That decision was supposed to come in April but now is into early May because of scheduling issues. They expect to have bought 91 aircraft by 2021.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

This is a Flightglobal Dashboard Article This article can only be accessed by subscribers to Flightglobal Dashboard

Have an alternative link for the less enthusiastic enthusiasts ?
edit on 25/2/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I need to start bringing my camera wherever I go. I see one about once a week now flying out of Boeing field. That program is coming on like gangbusters around here.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I forgot I stay logged in. It's a free sign up if you want to join, but I'll keep looking for another article.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

What happens if Boeing fails to meet the milestone ? Do they get fined or something ? Also what does IOC and LRIP mean ?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Initial Operational Capability aka the entry into service, Limited Rate Initial Production aka smaller initial orders before full production.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

The contract is worded so that Boeing pays any penalties. If they fail to meet the Milestone then they can face penalties, or lose bonuses.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Boeing plans deliveries from March to August of 2017. The Air Force expects to see IOC in either 2017 or 2018, and it will be based on both the aircraft and infrastructure. Right now there are no plans to retire tankers in anticipation of the new aircraft coming, but if budget constraints require it, then most likely the KC-10 fleet will be required.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Second Pegasus one takes to the air:

boeing.mediaroom.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It came out of the paint shop right after Sam and I took the tour at Everett. They've been doing ground system tests. This is the one that gets to do all the fun tests.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

So this is the one that goes Mach 10, has a shark fin that deploys out the top and shoots laser freakin beams.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

It was sitting at their usual parking area at Paine yesterday while I was there for the 727. You can spot her in the videos I linked.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

They put flames on the sides. Adds at least 1,000 mph.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
EMD-2 refueled the AV-8B. That portion is moving right along.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

For some reason flames on a tanker seam like a bad idea.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Only if they're almost empty!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

They should at least put a racing stripe on to make it more interesting!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

You can tell former Maine KC-135s because they have reflective racing stripes around the cockpit windscreen and radome.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Hey atleast you wouldn't need any flares for a while...

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
EMD-4, the second true KC-46, will complete first flight functional tests today and be ready to join the program afterwards. It will test lighting, and defensive systems as part of its role in the program.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join