It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

switchblade your ideas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I have been recently looking for new built or under construction planes. I was looking around for a few hours when i found pictures of a plane called a Switchblade. I just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas about weather or not it's real or weather it's fake.

here is the link.

www.area51zone.com...

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Lucifer340]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Its a movie plane from the movie "I Spy".

And if I remember correctly, its been discussed quite thoroughly on ATS before, before and around the release of the actual movie.

[edit on 10-1-2005 by thematrix]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Its real plans for a plane it was just never built that we know of.

"the Switchblade was patented by the Northrop Grumman Corporation: U.S. Patent 5,984,231"

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Heres they real Patent just found it

Aircraft with variable forward-sweep wing

Inventors: Gerhardt; Heinz A. (Redondo Beach, CA); Seho; Kenneth (Garden Grove, CA); Nolan; Joan (Laurel, MD); Mrdeza; Matthew N. (Whittier, CA)
Assignee: Northrop Grumman Corporation (Los Angeles, CA)
Appl. No.: 100738
Filed: June 19, 1998
patft.uspto.gov.../netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,984,231.WKU. &OS=PN/5,984,231&RS=PN/5,984,231

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Thats right, it was a real project but never got any further than the patent, the movie 'stealth' uses a design based upon it as it is no longer being pursued and therefore not considered sensitive.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
These may be of added interest, since one was created by a member who has commented to this particular topic thread.

B-27 Switchblade
Switchblade

Zion Mainframe has a very good link detailing the "Switchblade":
*Unoffical* "Switchblade"

seekerof

[edit on 11-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I was going to try and find links to past threads on it but I'm rubbish at it for some reason

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
what would the dimensions of such an aircraft be?...By looking at the sketches it seems to be of the B-1b size , however that would severely impede manuverability.....but I love the swing wing design, absoultely outve science fiction...!!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I would estimate it to be about the size of an F-18 but no bigger than an F-14. Just my guess.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
First i would like to say thanks for everyone that has helped me out. Secondly is it possible that the govrnment has made a switchblade but is keeping it a secret. So if we actually get into world war 3 we will have a secret weapon.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Lucifer340]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I would think if we had a black switchblade plane the patent would never see the light of day. Theres work being done into morphing aircraft but with shape shifting materials that could change everything from the wings to intakes or even the fuelsalage.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Although I have gladly provided links in the past to those curious about the "Swtchblade" - I am beyond skeptical that this plane actually exists.

The plane is obviously a stealth design and yet the swing wing concept, especially in the configuration that the patent graphics depict, would present major design problems in keeping the airframe stealthy during the wing transition.

Also in response to one poster on this thread - there is simply no data or even credible rumors supporting the assertion that the F-14 can go Mach 3 or the SR-71 can go Mach 5... Thats way beyond the realm of believeability.

top topics

join