It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answers for Atheists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: Jonjonj

The concept of God offers peace and security on an emotional level for many. It's also a concept that has allowed for certain authorities to control the actions of people to various degrees throughout history.

Whether or not either of those is a good or bad thing is up for debate.

It also provides a handy go to answer for questions we don't have answers to as well.

Although I guess that may not answer your question since I'm talking about the concept of God rather than God itself. Which in my opinion is the same thing.

No, it does answer my question and sadly for those who actually believe in god the result is as follows:

- A false sense of security given that god does not intervene to offer any protection, free will being what it is and all.
- Control over the masses (poor) enabling them to be used for whatever agenda those at the top conceive of.
- An easy if false answer to questions we ask that might better be answered by research and investigation.

Got it.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica
a reply to: JackReyes

Actually I'm right & you're wrong because [insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

[insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

[insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

This is usually what happens. Instead of dealing with the arguments given, it boils down to mockery. And this is the attitude you are going to contend with.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I don't exist to do anything, but that's something people with "faith" can't understand (I almost envy their delusion)

Again, I think you're unwittingly getting right to the heart of the matter:

You can't stand it, can you? You can't stand the fact that billions of people know something you don't.

Pure hatred lies at the heart of Atheism.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

So your only "proof" is a book that you're meant to take some parts literally and others metorphorically, but no one has agreed on which bits are literal and metorphorical?

Yeah. Sounds like "proof" to me.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Your reading comprehension is lacking. You just reiterated what he said but made it sound superior & condescending. Smh. No wonder you spout scripture as evidence.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JackReyes
a reply to: Woodcarver

I know there has been evidence given. Your statement is inaccurate. I imagine that you haven't read such evidence, and thus assume out of every single post ever made there was never evidence given. But your statement can only stand if you have read every single post on this website. And if you have, then you are a liar. If not, then your argument is invalid.
Perhaps i did miss something. Since Randy has abandoned his Op, i invite you to provide us atheists some real answers. Some good convincing evidence is all i've ever wanted.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Did you just invoke rationality to defend a belief in god?
This is a rather unique use of the word that I was hitherto unaware.

You don't need to be a genius to understand the rational that there is a God.

For example, while many atheists would object to Holy Scripture, it's rational is very easy to understand, and logical:

(Hebrews 3:4) . . .Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the one who constructed all things is God.

Is that not a rational statement? And a rational deduction from reasoning?

In fact Scripture also says a few other things about people who don't believe in God. Such as, they are inexcusable for their attitude, because there is plenty of evidence of his existence:

(Romans 1:20) 20 For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.

And that only a fool reasons there is no God:

(Psalm 10:4) In his haughtiness, the wicked man makes no investigation; All his thoughts are: “There is no God.”

Actually it goes further. It shows the heart condition behind people, whom are shown logic and rational and continue to ignore it. It s not because they want truth, but it is because they are arrogant and haughty.

Wow, that must be the first lengthy reply to which I can say a resounding no to absolutely everything in it.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Spring is starting, most of the "old" timers in here are in a reality, then you have a bunch who arent, those are fun.. Especially when they have their own thread.. But its just august actually who baits..

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

I don't exist to do anything, but that's something people with "faith" can't understand (I almost envy their delusion)

Again, I think you're unwittingly getting right to the heart of the matter:

You can't stand it, can you? You can't stand the fact that billions of people know something you don't.

Pure hatred lies at the heart of Atheism.

I found this so amusing I just had to quote it & make sure it didn't get missed by others.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Your reading comprehension is lacking. You just reiterated what he said but made it sound superior & condescending. Smh. No wonder you spout scripture as evidence.

You know, not even my first grade teachers accused me of that.

Actually never in my life, in all of my schooling, or in the jobs I've had, or teaching positions, has that accusation ever been raised.

I came into a thread to give a comment to the OP about what he was to deal with, and BAM...attacks immediately. I am not surprised. I've dealt with this all my life from your type. That was what I was warning him of.

It doesn't bother me. It rather amuses me.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
OP states that God exists.

Others agree and disagree.

/thread 24,456,305,432

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
OP states that God exists.

Others agree and disagree.

/thread 24,456,305,432

You get the "in a nutshell" award!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

(Hebrews 3:4) . . .Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the one who constructed all things is God.

No, it isn't. It's a leap of faith.

(Romans 1:20) 20 For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.

Another leap of faith, and faulty logic.

(Psalm 10:4) In his haughtiness, the wicked man makes no investigation; All his thoughts are: “There is no God.”

This is an outright lie, considering many atheists came out of Christianity. In some cases, we were Christians for decades.

Actually it goes further. It shows the heart condition behind people, whom are shown logic and rational and continue to ignore it. It s not because they want truth, but it is because they are arrogant and haughty.

"God(the bible) said it. I believe it. That settles it."
It sounds cute and catchy, but it hardly qualifies as rationale or logic. And calling people arrogant and haughty because they don't believe the way you do is well... arrogant and haughty.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Actually I'm right & you're wrong because [insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

[insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

[insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here][insert scripture here]

This is usually what happens. Instead of dealing with the arguments given, it boils down to mockery. And this is the attitude you are going to contend with.
What evidence has been given?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

For example, while many atheists would object to Holy Scripture, it's rational is very easy to understand, and logical:

No, because it's drawing conclusions which are based on assumptions and comparing metaphors.
Is every house constructed by someone??? Depends on the type of house. If your house is a cave it doesn't need to be built by someone. But if you mean an actual house then yes it has a builder. However there is no comparison between the houses we build and the universe or the earth. The earth isn't a house and neither is the universe. Nor is "all things" a house. It's just a big metaphor and comparing metaphorical statements isn't logical proof of anything. Plus you just insert God in there like it's a given and it's not.

In fact Scripture also says a few other things about people who don't believe in God. Such as, they are inexcusable for their attitude, because there is plenty of evidence of his existence:

More word play. Obviously any qualities that are clearly seen certainly wouldn't be invisible now would they???

But let's ignore that for now. Show me these clearly visible qualities which are invisible but clearly evident all around me. Point them out for me and explain how they are clearly the qualities of a supreme creator being.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

This

whywontgodhealamputees.com...

and this

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Did you just invoke rationality to defend a belief in god?
This is a rather unique use of the word that I was hitherto unaware.

You don't need to be a genius to understand the rational that there is a God.

not really because if everything requires a maker, then who made your god? And let's be honest here, you're not advocating for "god" you're advocating for the Christian variety of god right? Even when one tries to narrow it down to th4e Christian version of god, it still comes in more flavors than Baskin Robbins ice cream.

And that only a fool reasons there is no God:

You've demonstrated no logic. Only blind obedience. You've demonstrated no rationale, no evidence at all in favor of your personal flavor of god. All you have done is quote mine scripture and utilize condescension to make you feel good about your unchristian level of ego. I have seen more haughtiness in your last 2 posts than from any agnostics or atheists in the thread. Let's hope you're a Catholic so you can go to confession and say a couple of prayers and leave a tip in the donation basket so Jesus forgives you. You calling others arrogant is the height of hypocrisy and a tasty morsel of irony indeed.

but why is it YOUR scripture I should adhere to? Why not Hindu scripture? I could get behind converting to Ba Ha'i because they believe in science. Why is YOUR particular version of God THE god? And how do you know when there are literally 1000's of sects of Christianity who preach different things and different interpretations of the scripture? It seems kind of arrogant.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: peter vlar

so where is the Atheist agenda you allude to?

I think where Christians get messed up on this is by equating atheists and anti-theists. Most atheists have no "agenda", because we are not organized, and we have only one thing in common. A lack of belief.
Anti-theists on the other hand, are actively organizing against religion, and actively working toward its demise to the extent of taking away its control in government, as well as its privileged status, especially in the U.S.

Most anti-theists are atheists, but not all atheists are anti-theist.

I believe that is called neo-atheism. And it is headed by atheists believe it or not.

Of course it is, but they are also anti-theists.

ETA: Actually, I can see how atheists could get behind it, even if they aren't anti-theists. But that still doesn't make all atheists anti-theists.
edit on 2/24/2016 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Thank you, kind sir, for at least acknowledging ans answering the logic given.

So if one is walking through a burning desert and sees a house and approaches it, and enters and finds it air-conditioned, with full power, and stocked full of food, elegantly designed, with books of all sorts, and many different living spaces, would it be logical to conclude that it popped up out of nothing?

No. You would reason that it had a designer, and a builder.

If the universe is far far far more complex, beyond imagining, it is a leap of faith to assume it too must have had a designer and a builder? Really?

Obviously there are people that must think that way. But there are people that can reason logically, that if a house had a designer and a builder, the far grander things in life, like a human body also did. And that would not be a leap of faith, but a logical deduction based on reasoning.

Let us go a little further. That house that had many books? Well earth does it not house many types of life forms and have food for all of the?

Now all of those life-forms are patterned after their DNA.

And DNA is a book in digital format. Many types of books are available on earth are there not?

Now here is something to ponder on. The human DNA needs both proteins and RNA to replicate. So you do not only have a book in digital format (which would fill volumes the size of the grand canyon), it can copy itself.

And also look a little further, the human cell contains about 50,000 different types of proteins. Now for one protein to fold upon itself correctly is 1 in a billion billion billion. That is, if you had a primordial soup, not the size of the earth, but of the entire known universe, the chances of it folding upon itself correctly is many many many many times greater than that of the time of the known universe, a more 13.8 billion years.

If 1 single protein out of the 50,000 takes all of that, and you expect all the rest of the other 50,000 to have the same odds, mixed in with the fact that the entire book of the DNA had to be already complete, and functioning at the exact same time that RNA came into existence.

We can go on and on and on.

The Chance atheists believe in is really just another name for God. It is quite shameful, if they really really knew what they were talking about.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
So, has anyone seen any "proof" of god in this thread yet?

I haven't, unless I missed something?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join