It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answers for Atheists

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Why are you more right than the religious?

A2D

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
a reply to: Ghost147

dictionary.reference.com...

atheism
[ey-thee-iz-uh m]

noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of atheism

a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

I mean honestly... How delusional can a person be?
edit on 29/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Did I say that was the ONLY defining feature of atheism? Bet you cant quote me as having said that. Those were your words not mine. But I see how you could get confused, with you speaking for me all the time and whatnot..

A2D

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

A2D

No one is claiming we are!!!

Go find us a quote where any of us have stated "we are right, you are wrong" in reference to the existence of god.

Because I can give you 10 quotes this very instant that has all of us stating that "we lack a belief because there is no evidence". not one of us is making a claim that there isn't a god.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

A2D

Who says I (an agnostic) could possibly be wrong? That is actually an impossibility.

Atheists don't have a belief in a god so they can't be wrong.

The only ones that could possibly be wrong are the ones that say there is definitely something or there definitely isn't something.

Atheists and agnostics don't do either.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Are you ignoring the 2nd definition again? Or do you admit atheism is a doctrine/belief?

Indeed...how delusional can one be....?

A2D

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

If you lack a belief because of evidence..th at is agnosticism my friend

A2D

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I lack a belief in gods because there is no evidence or reason to believe in them.

You must admit first evidence can be a fickle thing.
Science chooses it's own protocols where evidence accepted.
The judicial process accepts evidence in an entirely different
way. What doesn't hold up as evidence in a lab. Would be called
evidence in exhibition in a court of law.

I thank you for respecting my right to believe. And I understand that
man is responsible for your disrespect of what I believe.
edit on Rpm22916v59201600000000 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Did I say that was the ONLY defining feature of atheism? Bet you cant quote me as having said that.

Challenge, accepted!

Agree2Disagree
I call [Atheism] a belief that there is no god

Agree2Disagree
Atheism is still a belief based opinion

Agree2Disagree
Atheism is a belief in the non-existence of a god/deity

Agree2Disagree
If you are an atheist, then you are of the belief that there is no god/creator

Agree2Disagree
no one is attacking you or your belief system [of atheism].

Agree2Disagree
I just don't understand why atheists can't accept that their "lack of beliefs" are just beliefs that they are unwilling to acknowledge.

Agree2Disagree
notice how number 1 [of the definition of Atheism] states "DOCTRINE/BELIEF"....?
write them...tell them they're wrong....

Agree2Disagree
www.encyclopedia.com...
ATHEISM.
The term atheism usually refers to the belief that there is no God or are no gods. This position has been called positive atheism, since it involves an actual belief and not just the absence of belief. In contrast, negative atheism involves the absence of belief in a God or gods. Atheism is typically contrasted with agnosticism, the view that one cannot know if a deity exists. Negative atheism, however, is compatible with agnosticism, for in the name of rationality one who does not know if God exists should suspend belief in God.

Agree2Disagree
From my understanding...no.
You either believe there is a god. Or you believe there is not a god. theism or atheism....

Agree2Disagree
Maybe you can explain why you continue to believe that atheism has nothing to do with belief when all the definitions provided clearly state otherwise...

Agree2Disagree
Atheism is a decided position or stance...

It's like I'm having a conversation with someone whom has severe amnesia....

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Are you ignoring the 2nd definition again? Or do you admit atheism is a doctrine/belief?

I never denied that some atheists can hold that position. In fact, I've stated it multiply times that they can.

Your delusion is showing...

I can get all the quotes for that too if you'd like. But I'm afraid your amnesia may simply forget about it.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

do you see the word "only"? cause I don't...

A2D

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

do you see the word "only"? cause I don't...

A2D

How about you go back to school and learn more about the English language?

There are other words and phrases which are synonymous with 'only'

How can you possibly state that none of those quotes direct states that "this is how it happens, it's the only way"

Oh, I know why, it's because of your massive ego that prevents you from ever letting you acknowledge when you've made a mistake. A perfectly honest mistake that if only was acknowledged this whole issue would come to a flat out end.

This entire time you've been called out on about ONLY stating there is one definition. It's been about 7 pages and only now do you bring up "I never meant 'only' "?

A person who has been called out about stating there is "ONLY ONE defining property of Atheism" doesn't have an argument 7 pages long when all he needed to say at the very first accusation of us calling you out on that claim was "no, I also understand it can be a lack of belief" without actually meaning "ONLY"

You're an inch before falling into the terrible and horrendous, mind-crushing, life-ending failure of being honest and saying "sorry, I was mistaken". Why not have some self respect and just admit it?

Your boundless and insatiable arrogance and stubbornness is insufferable.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

So please tell me what word I used that is synonymous with "only"...

(Your feathers seem rather ruffled. Don't let it get to ya guy...wouldn't want you to call me names and hurt my feelings ya know...)

A2D

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

So please tell me what word I used that is synonymous with "only"...

Better yet, how about you tell me how all of those quotes aren't absolutes?

They are your words after all, and every single one of them is a definite, singular claim

Your feathers seem rather ruffled.

You mistake anger/frustration with sheer amazement at how someone could be so willfully delusional.

Don't let it get to ya guy...wouldn't want you to call me names and hurt my feelings ya know..

Those 'names' aren't mere slander, you have literally represented every single trait I've ever placed upon you.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

So...using your words only... some atheists have faith?

Yes, some do, just not in god. Some don't. Some are strictly materialists, some are not. Some believe the universe as a whole is its own entity or that it's all connected in the collective consciousness. Some do not believe anything unproven. Again, the only thing that matters, is the lack of believe in a god or deity.

Also...why do i get The feeling people are confusing atheism with agnosticism....

Atheism is a decided position or stance...
Agnosticism is an undecided stance...

A2D

I consider myself an agnostic atheist. The reasoning is simple.

Do I believe in god? No.

Would I be willing change this stance if evidence came about? Yes.

Both fit the bill. I reject current versions of god and the concept of a creator because there is no evidence, but it's not set in stone and could change as we learn more about the universe. The existence of god is unknowable at this point in time. I don't take the hard core agnostic stance that it will never be knowable, so it's the best description I can find to explain my beliefs on god.
edit on 2 29 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

"Just believe" is not an answer.

Nor is don't believe.

What about science? Does that not play any role at all into what people accept is true about the universe? I've never seen atheist just say, "I don't believe, just cuz." Lack of objective evidence is a big one. I know you are more likely to reject peer reviewed science in favor of ancient myths, so if you really want to give an atheist answers, you need to actually show them that your belief in god is justified. Otherwise you aren't giving them any answers.

You must admit first evidence can be a fickle thing.

Fickle in which way? Evidence is either objective or subjective. The fact that there is no objective evidence, suggests the logical default of non existence is true.

Science chooses it's own protocols where evidence accepted.

It does? Can you give me examples? Evidence is only accepted when it has been tested and reviewed.

The judicial process accepts evidence in an entirely different
way. What doesn't hold up as evidence in a lab. Would be called
evidence in exhibition in a court of law.

Irrelevant. The American Justice system is a joke. Even solid DNA evidence can be overruled by a jury if they feel like it.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

Occam's razor.

You know that when the dictionary has TWO definitions of a word, that means they are used in different ways, right? It doesn't mean that the word always means both definitions are true. That would be equivocation.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

a reply to: Barcs

The truth is all around you, bro, just look!

The truth is all around me Barcs and I don't just look, I see.
I see atheists scouff at the very idea of God. When they
have absolutely no reason what so ever to do so, except to
look cool for their peers. No evidence that something exists
is what? Nothing at all and that's all it is. It doesn't mean horny
unicorns don't exist on pluto, any more than it doesn't mean
God doesn't exist. I only set out to show the atheist there are
answers to what they like to think are good questions. I'm
satisfied that I've done that. It's pretty clear to me atheism,
makes far less sense than theism. Considering our fragile existence
both biologically and cosmologically and the odds of anything
happening the way atheism must ultimately get around to
explaining existence. I'm quite comfortable with what I've
chosen to believe. All on my own. No church and no university.

You already made your position clear earlier when ghost147 provided a list of resources and you ...scoffed at it. Didn't address a single article or claim but dismissed it wholesale. Professionally reviewed and unanimously approved data that can be independently verified regardless of what altar you kneel to, something your posts have thus far lacked. You seem pretty oblivious to the double standard here. And no, YouTube videos don't count.

abiogenesis is still an ongoing investigation, but what we can say for sure is that there is currently no evidence of a supernatural force having made the earth, the universe, or the human species. and no amount of virtual bluster will change that, only science can. you are right, people have many questions and they want answers...NOT excuses.
edit on 29-2-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

you are right, people have many questions and they want answers...NOT excuses.

This is why apologetics have no answers for atheist.
Atheist just can't throw their hands in the air and say God did it. We want to know what's really going on in the Universe, not what religions pretend what's going on to make them feel good about mortality.
edit on fTuesday1639311f390511 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: flyingfish

This is why apologetics have no answers for atheist.
Atheist just can't throw their hands in the air and say God did it. We want to know what's really going on in the Universe, not what religions pretend what's going on to make them feel good about mortality.

Atheists want to know what's going on in the universe but reject
mans soul and his spirit. Road blocks to avenues of information
that make sense of the whole kit and kabootle.

Chasm

You already made your position clear earlier when ghost147 provided a list of resources and you ...scoffed at it. Didn't address a single article or claim but dismissed it wholesale. Professionally reviewed and unanimously approved data that can be independently verified regardless of what altar you kneel to, something your posts have thus far lacked. You seem pretty oblivious to the double standard here. And no, YouTube videos don't count.

abiogenesis is still an ongoing investigation, but what we can say for sure is that there is currently no evidence of a supernatural force having made the earth, the universe, or the human species. and no amount of virtual bluster will change that, only science can. you are right, people have many questions and they want answers...NOT excuses.

What the hell made you post something worth while out of the blue?

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join