It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answers for Atheists

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: TerryDon79

Oh I'm so very sorry. Here was me thinking this thread had answers for athiests. I was expecting some answers. I wonder what could have given me that idea. Oh how very silly of me.

That's the worst form of deflection I've ever seen.
The answers are in your eyes.

In order to deflect from an argument, you first need an argument to deflect from. Since you haven't made one....

The truth is all around you, bro, just look!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
a reply to: randyvs

The problem with this thread randy...is that atheists only want answers they find themselves.

Again, this is a false premise. Atheists aren't even looking for "answers".

There is no universal belief system that Atheists follow, there no theories or myths that all Atheists must accept to be an atheist, there are no practices or traditions of atheism, Atheism is only a lack of belief in gods. That's it.

The problem with this thread is that it's based on a false premise. There for it can't answer any questions, because atheists have no questions.

It's funny how often we have to reiterate this in threads. Religious folks think they can define atheism for us and pigeon hole us into their little niche of what they want atheism to be. Nobody should ever tell you what you do or don't believe, especially people that have never had similar beliefs or don't even understand what it's like.

edit on 2 29 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

Saying the vast majority of buddhists are atheists is actually a bit dishonest. Buddhism and atheism don't really have much in common, other than the fact that buddhism doesn't require belief in a deity/creator. There is however, a base concept of "god" involved in buddhism, but it's more related to happiness than the traditional western view of "god".

Buddhism, unlike atheism, agrees with other religions that true and lasting happiness cannot be found in this material world.

You are talking about atheism as if it's a belief system again. It's not, but Buddhism IS an atheistic belief system. There is no personal god involved. Atheism is just one trait of somebody's belief system and it's not a system. It does not have anything do with what an individual DOES believe, so comparing atheism and Buddhism is completely baseless.

Your last statement is completely irrelevant because atheism doesn't need to agree or disagree with concepts about happiness, that is up to the individual. Atheism is strictly about a lack of belief in god. By including anything more than that, you are doing atheists a disservice and pigeonholing them, which is the biggest complaint they have about religious folks these days. Atheism has nothing to do with lasting happiness.

As for atheists being free to believe in life after death...do you know any? Also what is their claimed mechanism for reincarnation and/or life after death?

I know many of them that believe in life after death / reincarnation. You don't need mechanisms for a personal beliefs. Somebody could just have faith that humans have spirits and the spirits live on. It doesn't have to be a whole slew of complicated convoluted explanations like most religions give.

1)There is no God or devil.

This is correct.

2)There is no supernatural realm.
3)Miracles cannot occur.
4)There is no such thing as sin.
5)Generally, the universe is materialistic and measurable.
6)Man is material.
7)Ethics and morals are relative.

This is incorrect. Like I said above, atheism is ONLY about lack of belief in god. Adding all kinds of other things to it is inherently wrong and fallacious. Sorry. I get that you WANT atheism to be a system, but it's not. Atheists can believe whatever they want to, so much as it doesn't involve a god. It's really not that complicated.

I know a large amount of atheists, and their beliefs are completely different in almost every case. If you want to know what somebody believes, ask them. Don't dictate their position to them, ask them what they DO believe. Who cares what they don't believe in. I could go on for years listing all the possible things in the universe I don't believe in, but if you want to know who I am and what I believe, that's not going to get you anywhere.
edit on 2 29 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

originally posted by: Ghost147

The problem with this thread is that it's based on a false premise. There for it can't answer any questions, because atheists have no questions.

That's kinda the problem. You think you've got it all figured out and don't need to explore any further. You're not interested in discovering truth, just in tearing down the beliefs of others and making them feel bad about themselves in the process.

If Atheists were genuinely interested in the truth, they wouldn't berate and otherwise insult anyone who disagrees with them at every conceivable opportunity.

They would engage in respectful discourse, which they do about as often as we hear of a new Bigfoot sighting--every once in a while.

Sorry but the creation of this thread in the first place is a slap in the face to atheists. Respectful discourse? Atheists are constantly under attack here and when folks defend themselves, they get upset because they don't like the answers but they have no problem pigeonholing you and telling you what YOU believe even though they are so far off they might as well be in another galaxy.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

So...using your words only... some atheists have faith?

Also...why do i get The feeling people are confusing atheism with agnosticism....

Atheism is a decided position or stance...
Agnosticism is an undecided stance...

A2D

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

So...using your words only... some atheists have faith?

As has been discussed with you several times before. In the English language, many words have multiple meanings.

Here are all the definitions of various uses of the term "faith".

noun
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing:
faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof:
He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion:
the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.:
to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5. a system of religious belief:
the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6. the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.:
Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
7. the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.:
He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.

You seem to assume that Faith is only one definition, and that definition must relate to a god or religion in some way or form.

You seem to therefore assume that an Atheist cannot have faith without believing in god or having a form of religion.

You seem to forget that the majority of the ways we define 'Faith', as seen above, doesn't relate to religion specifically at all.

1, 2, 4, 6, and 7 all have nothing to do with religious faith what so ever.

Only 3 and 5 deal with religion.

Also...why do i get The feeling people are confusing atheism with agnosticism....

Probably because you continue to misunderstand what Atheism really is.

Atheism is a decided position or stance...

False.

Read your own sourced material. This has been explained to you so many times by so many people with so many references (including your own)

By now you're just choosing to remain ignorant to protect your ego from losing an argument.

Agnosticism is an undecided stance...

It also (and mainly) means that we cannot possibly gain knowledge.

1.a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.
2.a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.
3.a person who holds neither of two opposing positions on a topic:
Socrates was an agnostic on the subject of immortality.
edit on 29/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

The truth is all around me Barcs and I don't just look, I see.
I see atheists scouff at the very idea of God. When they
have absolutely no reason what so ever to do so, except to
look cool for their peers. No evidence that something exists
is what? Nothing at all and that's all it is. It doesn't mean horny
unicorns don't exist on pluto, any more than it doesn't mean
God doesn't exist. I only set out to show the atheist there are
answers to what they like to think are good questions. I'm
satisfied that I've done that. It's pretty clear to me atheism,
makes far less sense than theism. Considering our fragile existence
both biologically and cosmologically and the odds of anything
happening the way atheism must ultimately get around to
explaining existence. I'm quite comfortable with what I've
chosen to believe. All on my own. No church and no university.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I said nothing about religion. I only asked a simple question...no assumptions from me, but lots from you.

You jumped to conclusions rather quickly about a "point" I was trying to make...when in actuality there is no point...just a simple question.

A2D
edit on 29-2-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

The truth is all around me Barcs and I don't just look, I see.
I see atheists scouff at the very idea of God. When they
have absolutely no reason what so ever to do so, except to
look cool for their peers. No evidence that something exists
is what? Nothing at all and that's all it is. It doesn't mean horny
unicorns don't exist on pluto, any more than it doesn't mean
God doesn't exist. I only set out to show the atheist there are
answers to what they like to think are good questions. I'm
satisfied that I've done that. It's pretty clear to me atheism,
makes far less sense than theism. Considering our fragile existence
both biologically and cosmologically and the odds of anything
happening the way atheism must ultimately get around to
explaining existence. I'm quite comfortable with what I've
chosen to believe. All on my own. No church and no university.

And yet there hasn't been a single answer to any questions for atheists.

"Just believe" is not an answer.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

It's clear you've assumed the incorrect definition for the word 'atheist' for a very very long time and will continue to do so. A very peculiar habit...

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Nope I didn't assume the definition..I looked it up in a dictionary. Sources have been provided.

A2D
edit on 29-2-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Nope I didn't assume the definition..I looked it up in a dictionary. Sources have been provided.

A2D

And sources have also been provided to show how you're wrong.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I see atheists scouff at the very idea of God.

I see this too, but I only see it occur to very specific definitions of a god. For instance, one that has affected the universe around us in a very defined way, within a specific amount of time, And only a couple thousand years ago.

I see religious people also scoff at those claims as well, even people of the very religions whom are making those claims.

A very common misunderstanding is that we can in fact prove a specific notion of god when events, actions, traits, and involvement within the natural realm are said to exist. All that needs to occur is a discovery which shows that "no, there wasn't a global flood, there is no evidence to suggest there was, and all the observations we have made so far cannot possibly validate that claim"

Thus, that particular god is a less valid one.

We can't, of course, prove that a general concept of god exists, because the definition of one tends to be so vague and unfalsifiable that it cannot be disproved or (at the moment) proven.

I think what you may be witnessing is a scoffing at a particular description of god, rather than god itself. Of course, neither you nor I could be sure of that unless you were to ask the 'scoffers' themselves.

When they have absolutely no reason what so ever to do so, except to
look cool for their peers.

Yeah... because Atheism is just the new Smoking...

No evidence that something exists is what? Nothing at all and that's all it is.

No, there is no evidence that a god exists, that's why many atheists are actually atheists. There simply is no reason to believe in a god.

It doesn't mean horny unicorns don't exist on pluto, any more than it doesn't mean God doesn't exist.

Absolutely correct! Horny unicorns could indeed exist on Pluto.

But, it would be unreasonable to believe they do exist on Pluto without evidence.

It is also unreasonable to directly state that 'there are definitely no horny unicorns that live on Pluto' because basing a notion off of a negative is irrational. That's why many atheists simply lack a belief in god.

I only set out to show the atheist there are answers to what they like to think are good questions.

Except for your questions are based off of false premises and unfounded claims, as are your 'answers'.

I'm satisfied that I've done that.

I'm sure you are very satisfied. It's unfortunate that your satisfaction stems solely from your continued ignorance on the topic of Atheism.

It's pretty clear to me atheism, makes far less sense than theism.

Feel free to elaborate

Considering our fragile existence both biologically and cosmologically and the odds of anything happening the way atheism must ultimately get around to explaining existence.

It appears you still have learned absolutely nothing about atheism in the span of the 21 pages within this topic.

Atheism doesn't have to explain anything. It's a position that states nothing.

Atheism is a lack of belief in god.

The individual atheists that do in fact claim "there is no god" certainly do need to explain many things because they are making a definitive claim. But those are individual atheists whom hold that position, not Atheism in general.

I lack a belief in gods because there is no evidence or reason to believe in them. I make no statement on their existence, because to do so would assume that I have some sort of evidence to prove they don't (in a general sense).

Your understanding of atheism is still beyond obscure.

I'm quite comfortable with what I've chosen to believe. All on my own.

And I respect your right to have such a belief and to be able to choose what to believe, even if I don't respect the belief itself.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Nor is don't believe.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

A dictionary source that provides the exact same definition that I provided somehow proves me wrong....cool story

A2D

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Nor is don't believe.

But why is yours more right than any other religion or atheism?
edit on 294229/2/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

A2D

The very sources you have given show that there are more than one definition. You've just chosen to ignore the other defining features and proclaim "see, i was correct!" because one of the defining traits is indeed to make a claim.

No on ever denied that that was an atheistic claim.

The only thing I was every arguing against you for was your claim that "The only defining feature of an atheist is to state that 'there is no god', and nothing more"

Which, in the very sources you provided, prove otherwise.

Get over your ego and simply acknowledge reality.

What primitive behavior you express...

A dictionary source that provides the exact same definition that I provided somehow proves me wrong....cool story

I know, shocking isn't it? How could someone be so ignorant as to use a source that actually proves them wrong?...
edit on 29/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

A2D

You looked up one specific definition that is incorrect (as has been demonstrated to you many times).

And here you are, repeating the same ignorant and peculiar habit.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

A2D

Yep. Which pointed out it was a "lack of belief".

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Nor is don't believe.

Not believing you is a valid answer.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join