It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answers for Atheists

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
a reply to: Abysha

why do you assume I'm christian? My signature? My posts? Have I said that I'm a christian? Please. I'm agnostic, I just don't understand why atheists can't accept that their "lack of beliefs" are just beliefs that they are unwilling to acknowledge.

Atheist "I don't believe in god"....
Me: "sooooo you believe that god doesn't exist? "
Atheist "NOOOO that's not what I said"
Me: (Scratches head...)

A2D

I assumed you were Christian (or one of the other Abrahamic faiths) because you are calling your god "God", using the word itself as a name. I don't know many other religions that do that. If you're not, you're not.

I think your confusion is that you do not accept "I don't know" as an answer. Honestly, if you were to ask me if there are purple dinosaurs on Pluto, I would say "I don't think so but... who knows".

The spectrum between atheism and agnosticism ranges between "Iduno and I don't care but probably not" to "Iduno but I want to believe it so I will keep a broadly opened mind".

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

dictionary.reference.com...

atheism
[ey-thee-iz-uh m]

noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Why don't you message them and tell them it's not a belief?

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I just don't understand why atheists can't accept that their "lack of beliefs" are just beliefs that they are unwilling to acknowledge.

maybe because that ISN'T the definition of an atheist?!?!?! It's weird how the only way your claims about atheism make any sense is by accepting that your ridiculous concepts are in fact false.

Once again, here are ALL the major sources of how the English language determines what makes a definition, all of which never once state that 'Atheism states that there is no god', yet all of which state that "Atheism is a lack of belief in god"

Atheism (according to the Dictionary): A disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Atheism (according to Encyclopædia Britannica): "Instead of saying that an atheist is someone who believes that it is false or probably false that there is a God, a more adequate characterization of atheism consists in the more complex claim that to be an atheist is to be someone who rejects belief in God for the following reasons ... : for an anthropomorphic God, the atheist rejects belief in God because it is false or probably false that there is a God; for a nonanthropomorphic God ... because the concept of such a God is either meaningless, unintelligible, contradictory, incomprehensible, or incoherent; for the God portrayed by some modern or contemporary theologians or philosophers ... because the concept of God in question is such that it merely masks an atheistic substance—e.g., "God" is just another name for love, or ... a symbolic term for moral ideals."

Atheism (The Encyclopedia of Philosophy): An 'atheist' is a person who rejects belief in God, regardless of whether or not his reason for the rejection is the claim that 'God exists' expresses a false proposition.

Atheism (The New Encyclopedia of Unbelief. Prometheus Books): Atheism is simply the absence of belief in the gods

That is the definition of an Atheist

If you can't accept that, then you are rejecting reality.

Your understanding of the definition of Atheism is clearly misguided and entirely false.

I mean, seriously, how can you possibly deny that Atheism is defined like this when the DICTIONARY, and ENCYCLOPEDIAS, and UNIVERSITIES, all state show how your definition is entirely inaccurate.

How arrogant do you have to be to not simply admit "Hey, sorry, my mistake, I thought it meant something else, but I was mistaken"

Honestly, how difficult is that?

Do you know how much respect we would have for you if you just came out and stated that right off the bat when all of this clear evidence obviously contradicts what your previous claims are?

It blows my mind how this amount of evidence is shown, and how totally obvious it is that the previous claims were false, yet the stance still remains.

You are either delusional, willfully ignorant, or so arrogant you can't even admit when your wrong.

But the worst part about all this is, what difference does it make?!?!? Why do you care this much what the definition is?
edit on 27/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree
BRITISH & WORLD ENGLISH
ATHEIST
atheist
See definition in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Line breaks: athe|ist
Pronunciation: /ˈeɪθɪɪst/
Definition of atheist in English:
noun

A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods:
www.oxforddictionaries.com...
edit on 272627/2/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I'm an agnostic theist...I absolutely accept I don't know as an answer...Also, I didn't use "God"....at least on the entire last page I didn't...if I did, then I did it unknowingly...

I don't believe a god/creator is scientifically provable/evidenced(agnostic), but, based on personal experiences, I believe there is something akin to a god(theist)...

The vast majority of those who claim atheism are agnostic atheists...although there are gnostic atheists as well.... but the funny thing about the atheists is that, for whatever reason, they don't accept that their conclusion based on the lack of evidence is actually a belief....

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

See above definition...? Maybe you want to write them and tell them they're wrong...
or maybe you like merriam-webster...

www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of atheism

a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Let me guess....incorrect too right? What makes them incorrect? Because they don't fit YOUR definition?
A2D
edit on 27-2-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

dictionary.reference.com...

atheism
[ey-thee-iz-uh m]

noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Why don't you message them and tell them it's not a belief?

A2D

Do you honestly not understand that number 1 is the statement I was referring to?

Notice how number 2 states "disbelief"

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

notice how number 1 states "DOCTRINE/BELIEF"....?

write them...tell them they're wrong....

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

See above definition...? Maybe you want to write them and tell them they're wrong...
or maybe you like merriam-webster...

www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of atheism

a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Let me guess....incorrect too right? What makes them incorrect? Because they don't fit YOUR definition?
A2D

I have actually sent an email to dictionarycom moments ago to point out they are indeed wrong.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Easy question ghost...don't beat yourself over the head trying to figure it out...

Do you believe in god? It's a simple yes or no question.

A2D

I know this question is for ghost, but id like to answer too.

As an agnostic I would have to say that this isn't a simple yes/no question.

Can we prove there's any creator/god/supreme being? No

Can we prove there isn't any creator/god/sipreme being? No

Does that mean he/she/it does or doesn't exist? No

Personally I don't believe either way, but evidence would suggest that there is more likely not.

We can't know for sure until there is evidence, which there is none for either side.
And exactly what evidence could there be to prove the non existence of god? Why would you bring up this old ass falacy again? You cannot "prove" the non existence of anything. But you bring it up like it is actually a thing and that you've never been told that you can't prove a negative. Logically impossible. This is what the religious position always boils down to, this is the best argument you have? Lame.

The lack of evidence for the existance of god cannot support the common concept that there is somehow a 50/50 chance in odds.
edit on 27-2-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Easy question ghost...don't beat yourself over the head trying to figure it out...

A2D

Personally I don't believe either way, but evidence would suggest that there is more likely not.

We can't know for sure until there is evidence, which there is none for either side.
And exactly what evidence could there be to prove the non existence of god? Why would you bring up this old ass falacy again? You cannot "prove" the non existence of anything. But you bring it up like it is actually a thing and that you've never been told that you can't prove a negative. Logically impossible. This is what the religious position always boils down to, this is the best argument you have? Lame.

If you read the whole thing I actually said (in not so many words) there is no evidence either way.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Yeah you said there is no evidence...but then you said

but evidence would suggest that there is more likely not.

Lol....mind=blown...there is no evidence...but evidence suggests....WOW

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

notice how number 1 states "DOCTRINE/BELIEF"....?

write them...tell them they're wrong....

Yes, there are in fact religions that are secular that follow a doctrine, they are Atheistic in nature, and to state that 'there is no god' is a secular statement. That is what the definition is referring too.

To further the issue, let's see, 5 sources from reputable locations, vs internet dictionary... tough call on validity.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

A2D

Ok. I meant the lack of evidence. Give me a second to change it.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

You do realize that's a really weak argument. As I can do this all day...and you would still have to say "well, I don't accept those sources as authentic" blah blah blah

www.encyclopedia.com...
ATHEISM.

The term atheism usually refers to the belief that there is no God or are no gods. This position has been called positive atheism, since it involves an actual belief and not just the absence of belief. In contrast, negative atheism involves the absence of belief in a God or gods. Atheism is typically contrasted with agnosticism, the view that one cannot know if a deity exists. Negative atheism, however, is compatible with agnosticism, for in the name of rationality one who does not know if God exists should suspend belief in God.

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I've explained this concept in This topic.

You can both disprove gods exist and also cannot possibly disprove the concept of a god.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

A2D

If you read the whole thing I actually said (in not so many words) there is no evidence either way.
But why do you act like there is a 50/50 chance that god is floating around out there?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

You can only disprove a god that is ascribed qualities to it.....and even then, it's moreso disproving the existence of those ascribed qualities than the actual entity itself....

A2D
edit on 27-2-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

A2D

But why do you act like there is a 50/50 chance that god is floating around out there?

Because I
1, Can't prove there is
2, Can't prove there isn't

It really is that simple for me.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

www.encyclopedia.com...
ATHEISM.

When did I ever deny that some atheists claim "there is no god?"

Keep on reading and you'll find the definition that you actually deny ever exists...

The term atheism usually refers to the belief that there is no God or are no gods. This position has been called positive atheism, since it involves an actual belief and not just the absence of belief. In contrast, negative atheism involves the absence of belief in a God or gods. Atheism is typically contrasted with agnosticism, the view that one cannot know if a deity exists. Negative atheism, however, is compatible with agnosticism, for in the name of rationality one who does not know if God exists should suspend belief in God.

You do realize that's a really weak argument.

How is validity of sources a weak argument?

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join