It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answers for Atheists

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

an attack? it's not an attack, it's an observation. relax killer...no one is attacking you or your belief system.

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Yes actually...I have the opinion that there aren't any purple dinosaurs on pluto......do you not know? Unsure what to think? Uncertain if there are or are not? Scared to say? Are you waiting for Stephen Hawking to make a comment so that you can follow in his footsteps or.....? What's the deal?

Surely you can have an opinion of your own....right?

A2D
edit on 27-2-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

Yes actually...I have the opinion that there aren't any purple dinosaurs on pluto......do you not know if there are purple dinosaurs or not? are you waiting for Stephen Hawking to make a comment so that you can follow in his footsteps or.....? What's the deal? Surely you can have an opinion of your own....

A2D

Do you have an opinion or is it a belief?

That's the whole point that's been tried to be made to you.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Yes actually...I have the opinion that there aren't any purple dinosaurs on pluto......do you not know? Unsure what to think? Uncertain if there are or are not? Scared to say? Are you waiting for Stephen Hawking to make a comment so that you can follow in his footsteps or.....? What's the deal?

A2D

Excellent! Then you have successfully made a statement on the subject.

Unlike the definition of an Atheist, which is defined has having a lack of belief rather than making a definitive claim.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I am of the opinion that the existence of individual gods can be tested, and proven real or false. I will not deny the possible existence of something that could perhaps be defined as god, but until there is something conclusive, I will never know. I may never know. What I do feel pretty confident saying is that those gods that have been claimed to exist (Yahweh, Zeus, Ra, etc.) absolutely do not exist.

edit on 2-27-2016 by WakeUpBeer because: typo

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

an opinion on dinosaurs existing on pluto is a belief...you either believe they are there(which is an opinion) or you believe they are NOT there(which is ALSO an opinion)...

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Maybe 90% of atheists I have met make the definitive claim that god does not exist....go look around...see for yourself.

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Maybe 90% of atheists I have met make the definitive claim that god does not exist....go look around...see for yourself.

Ok, looking now....

Hmm, seems like 100% of the responses you have gotten regarding that agree to the definitions that I previously posted.

Of course, neither of our observations mean anything considering they weren't specifically gathered statistics.

What does mean something, however, is the definition that is given by dictionaries, encyclopedias, and universities. All of which have already been presented to you.

Your rejection of them is only your willingness to remain ignorant. Sorry, but you can in fact be wrong.

It may be difficult to accept that you are in fact wrong, and really I don't know why you're fighting this clearly evident fact so excessively, because why exactly does it matter that the real definition of an atheist doesn't actually make any claim?
edit on 27/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Easy question ghost...don't beat yourself over the head trying to figure it out...

Do you believe in god? It's a simple yes or no question.

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

It's far more complex than simply 'yes' or 'no.

Stating yes or no is irrational because there isn't any evidence to suggest one does exist, and there isn't any evidence to definitively claim that there isn't one.

I currently do not see why the universe needs a god, but that does not mean that one doesn't exist.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

No really it's not that complex. It's a yes or no question....it doesn't get much simpler.

Here is as complex as it gets.

Atheism is defined as a disbelief/lack of belief in the existence of a god/s. Theism is defined as belief in the existence of a god/s. Therefore you will fall into one of these categories.
Next we have gnosticism and agnosticism, which equates to the belief of whether or not atheism/theism is actually knowable.

So we'll have gnostic atheists and agnostic atheists. And we'll also have gnostic theists and agnostic theists.

A Gnostic atheist will claim there is definitely no god
An agnostic atheist will claim there is no way to know for certain whether there is or is not a god, but they believe that there isn't.
An agnostic theist will claim there is no way to know for certain whether there is or is not a god, but they believe that there is.
and gnostic theist will claim that there definitely is a god.

No matter which one of the four categories you fall into, you have to believe something...
A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

I rest my case. The bigotry is unf#believable.

Yeah, it does get pretty bad. But it does stand out as a
worthless defense mechanism. Always on the defensive
protecting there nowhere man view.

edit on Rpm22716v33201600000027 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

A2D

No, no I don't have an opinion on purple dinosaurs on Pluto. Why would I? I assume there is not because there is nothing to suggest it just like atheists assume there are no gods. I am fully willing to change my mind the moment we find an adorable dino egg on the surface. Until then, It's not something I really consider because there is no reason for me to consider it.

By the way, I'm not even an atheist. I just don't understand why Christians assume that the default logic should be that there are gods up there when there is no reason to consider it for most people beyond being told what to think by others who believe in it.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

No really it's not that complex. It's a yes or no question....it doesn't get much simpler.

A2D

Your question is based off of a false premise that there can only possibly be two options to belief.

Your inability to understand that is your own fault.

If you really think that Atheism is defined as "a belief that god doesn't exist", why not message the universities, the encyclopedias and the dictionaries to state that "you have it all wrong! Atheism isn't a lack of belief, it's a position which dictates that there is no god!"

An individual certainly can state that they believe no gods exist, and that individual could very well be an Atheist, but that statement does not define Atheism. Atheism is a lack of belief in a god, a statement that there are no gods is a personal, illogical, rational, and unfounded, position.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Easy question ghost...don't beat yourself over the head trying to figure it out...

A2D

I know this question is for ghost, but id like to answer too.

As an agnostic I would have to say that this isn't a simple yes/no question.

Can we prove there's any creator/god/supreme being? No

Can we prove there isn't any creator/god/sipreme being? No

Does that mean he/she/it does or doesn't exist? No

Personally I don't believe either way, but the lack of evidence for would suggest that there is more likely not.

We can't know for sure until there is evidence, which there is none for either side.
edit on 273827/2/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

why do you assume I'm christian? My signature? My posts? Have I said that I'm a christian? Please. I'm agnostic, I just don't understand why atheists can't accept that their "lack of beliefs" are just beliefs that they are unwilling to acknowledge.

Atheist "I don't believe in god"....
Me: "sooooo you believe that god doesn't exist? "
Atheist "NOOOO that's not what I said"
Me: (Scratches head...)

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

You completely misunderstand what an athiest and agnostic are. It's not about belief at all. It's about lack of evidence.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

why do you assume I'm christian? My signature? My posts? Have I said that I'm a christian? Please. I'm agnostic, I just don't understand why atheists can't accept that their "lack of beliefs" are just beliefs that they are unwilling to acknowledge.

Atheist "I don't believe in god"....
Me: "sooooo you believe that god doesn't exist? "
Atheist "NOOOO that's not what I said"
Me: (Scratches head...)

A2D

A lack of believe does not equal a belief of the opposite.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

not according to the definition that was provided....the definitions say nothing about evidence....

a·the·ism
ˈāTHēˌizəm/Submit
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Not about BELIEF but about evidence? How come the definition includes the term belief TWICE...but not the term evidence even once?

(Gnosticism and agnosticism are more about evidence than belief...)

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

not according to the definition that was provided....the definitions say nothing about evidence....

a·the·ism
ˈāTHēˌizəm/Submit
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Not about BELIEF but about evidence? How come the definition includes the term belief TWICE...but not the term evidence even once?

A2D

Yes, because there's no evidence. I'm pretty sure if there was then most athiests would probably change to believing.

Also notice what the definition says? "Disbelief" and "lack of belief". Not "belief of there isn't" or "belief of the opposite". Disbelief and lack of belief is not a belief in itself. It is the absence of belief.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join