It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answers for Atheists

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

History is not an absolute method of determination.

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

Saying the vast majority of buddhists are atheists is actually a bit dishonest. Buddhism and atheism don't really have much in common, other than the fact that buddhism doesn't require belief in a deity/creator.

Precisely, Buddhism does not require a belief in a deity or creator

Buddhism, unlike atheism, agrees with other religions that true and lasting happiness cannot be found in this material world

Atheism doesn't say anything about anything, so this point is meaningless.

There are no universally agreed concepts within Atheism except for a lack of belief in god.

An atheist is free to believe in ghosts, is free to be spiritual, is free to believe that true and lasting happiness cannot be found in the material world (hence the spirituality), the only thing that dictates what an Atheist is is the lack of belief in gods.

That's it.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

History is not an absolute method of determination.

No one said it was absolute. But, it does provide us Evidence.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Would you agree that saying the vast majority of buddhists are atheists is akin to saying the vast majority of atheists believe there is no happiness after death?

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

similar to the "evidence" that made people think the earth was flat... (my point being, evidence isn't always accurately evaluated and translated into accurate answers.....just because you have EVIDENCE he might be speaking from a matter of fact, doesn't mean he is....)

A2D
edit on 27-2-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Would you agree that saying the vast majority of buddhists are atheists is akin to saying the vast majority of atheists believe there is no happiness after death?

No, because Atheists are free to believe in reincarnation, life after death, or that it all ends. You would need a poll to see what the demographic is among those beliefs within Atheists.

similar to the "evidence" that made people think the earth was flat... (my point being, evidence isn't always accurately evaluated and translated into accurate answers.....just because you have EVIDENCE he might be speaking from a matter of fact, doesn't mean he is....)

Once again, I never stated anything was absolute. However, we have evidence to SUGGEST that what he claims in the OP isn't based off of his opinion, but that he truly believes it is factual.

There is more evidence that his OP is based off of him believing it's true, rather than simply just stating his opinion. So it's not entirely unreasonable to come to the conclusion that his OP and continued posts aren't simply opinion. Is it absolute fact that it isn't opinion? No, no one is claiming it to be. But the evidence suggests it to be fact.

Once again, you're free to ask him yourself
edit on 27/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

The evidence is circumstantial at best.

As for atheists being free to believe in life after death...do you know any? Also what is their claimed mechanism for reincarnation and/or life after death?

As far as the regurgitated "there are no tenants(sic) of atheism"...well that to me is just rubbish. I view atheism in "denominations" much like religion.

Generally speaking, some tenets of atheism(that I have observed):

1)There is no God or devil.
2)There is no supernatural realm.
3)Miracles cannot occur.
4)There is no such thing as sin.
5)Generally, the universe is materialistic and measurable.
6)Man is material.
7)Ethics and morals are relative.

Atheists that vary on these beliefs would be considered a different "denomination" of atheism, IMHO.

de·nom·i·na·tion
dəˌnäməˈnāSH(ə)n/
formal
a name or designation, especially one serving to classify a set of things.
the action of naming or classifying something.
"denomination of oneself as a fat woman"

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The evidence is circumstantial at best.

Except that it's consistent. Once again, it isn't totally unreasonable to assume that he isn't speaking in opinions. Especially when the responses to information are completely ignored without reason.

As for atheists being free to believe in life after death...do you know any?

Yes, I am one of them, as is my wife. I also know several other atheists personally that believe in reincarnation, and several here on the boards that believe in either one or both.

Also what is their claimed mechanism for reincarnation and/or life after death?

There doesn't need to be one. It's a belief.

Nevertheless, for me and my wife personally, we both have both experienced events that lead us to believe that Ghosts are probably real. The only thing is that they are subjective observations, so we don't consider them absolutely factual, but lean towards the possibility being relatively high. It's a complicated subject, but if you make a topic on it I'd be glad to explain further.
Ask "Do atheists believe in the after life/reincarnation" or what have you.

As far as the regurgitated "there are no tenants(sic) of atheism"...well that to me is just rubbish. I view atheism in "denominations" much like religion.

Feel free to explain. I am not aware of being of a specific denomination.

Generally speaking, some tenets of atheism(that I have observed):

1)There is no God or devil.
2)There is no supernatural realm.
3)Miracles cannot occur.
4)There is no such thing as sin.
5)Generally, the universe is materialistic and measurable.
6)Man is material.
7)Ethics and morals are relative.

And where do these 'tenents' come from, exactly.

You should make a topic on this too and see what kind of responses you get from Atheists.

Here, I'll answer them now.

1A) God does not exist: Correct.
1B) The devil does not exist: This is a concept within Chrisitanity, so obviously no, no atheist would believe the devil does but god doesn't.

2)There is no supernatural realm: Completely false. I know many atheists that believe in the supernatural.

3)Miracles cannot occur: Correct. For this to be true a god actually needs to exist.

4)There is no such thing as sin: Correct. This is a construct of a specific religion, so obviously no atheist would believe it as described in that religion which is described by a god in that religion.

5)Generally, the universe is materialistic and measurable: It can't be a tenant if it's general. Most theists accept the science behind this claim too, so this point is also moot.

6)Man is material: False. Atheists can believe that man has a spirit as well. Spirits don't necessarily negate a god.

7)Ethics and morals are relative: Atheists have no opinion on morality. It would depend if the atheist in question accepts the scientific explanation for Ethics and Morals or not.

So 1,3, 4 all are related to 1 exclusively. If 1 is correct, which it is, then the other 2 are false.

The rest really doesn't apply at all to Atheism what so ever, as the only defining trait of atheism is a Lack of Belief in god.

Simply because you personally equate such topics to god doesn't mean it's the rule. Atheists are free to choose what they want to believe and do what they want to do because there are no "Atheists Tenants".

Atheists that vary on these beliefs would be considered a different "denomination" of atheism, IMHO.

Considering none of them actually relate to what atheism is, there obviously is no denominations.

You're misjudging the situation. Simply because a population of people who don't believe in a god also workout a lot doesn't mean that they are working out because of their lack of belief in god. Your making connections that don't apply to the actual concept at all.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

You call atheism a lack of belief in god...I call it a belief that there is no god....either way you want to define it...atheism is still a belief based opinion....and so there will be people with varying opinions on what actually entails "atheism"...hence "denominations"

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

You call atheism a lack of belief in god...I call it a belief that there is no god....either way you want to define it...atheism is still a belief based opinion....and so there will be people with varying opinions on what actually entails "atheism"...hence "denominations"

A2D

I do not have a belief that there are no purple dinosaurs somewhere on Pluto. I also don't have a belief that says there is because I haven't seen evidence. There could be purple dinosaurs on Pluto but there's no reason for me to entertain the concept in the first place. This does not make me anti-purpledinosaursonPlutoist.

Atheist do not believe in your gods in the same way they do not believe in purple dinosaurs on Pluto. If they had proof or evidence of either your gods or purple dinosaurs on Pluto, they will change their minds.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

You call atheism a lack of belief in god...I call it a belief that there is no god....

Your definition is inaccurate. I do not 'believe there is no god" there is simply no evidence to suggest one exists. That's a lack of belief not a statement that there isn't one.

Like make others, including many atheists, this is an incredibly common misconception.

either way you want to define it...atheism is still a belief based opinion....

No. It has nothing to do with opinion. Your inaccurate definition that atheists must make a claim that there is no god for them to be an atheist is certainly an opinion (the supposed claim that atheists are making that is, your definition isn't opinion, it's a misconception).

I lack belief in unicorns too, why? because there isn't any evidence that they exist. I don't say "they do not exist", because making a statement on a lack of knowledge is illogical.

I don't call myself a "non-stamp collector" simply because I don't collect stamps.

and so there will be people with varying opinions on what actually entails "atheism"...hence "denominations"

No, that's not how language works. You see, when there is a word, there is a definition for a word, here's how the word "Atheist" is defined:

Atheism (according to the Dictionary): A disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Atheism (according to Encyclopædia Britannica): "Instead of saying that an atheist is someone who believes that it is false or probably false that there is a God, a more adequate characterization of atheism consists in the more complex claim that to be an atheist is to be someone who rejects belief in God for the following reasons ... : for an anthropomorphic God, the atheist rejects belief in God because it is false or probably false that there is a God; for a nonanthropomorphic God ... because the concept of such a God is either meaningless, unintelligible, contradictory, incomprehensible, or incoherent; for the God portrayed by some modern or contemporary theologians or philosophers ... because the concept of God in question is such that it merely masks an atheistic substance—e.g., "God" is just another name for love, or ... a symbolic term for moral ideals."

Atheism (The Encyclopedia of Philosophy): An 'atheist' is a person who rejects belief in God, regardless of whether or not his reason for the rejection is the claim that 'God exists' expresses a false proposition.

Atheism (The New Encyclopedia of Unbelief. Prometheus Books): Atheism is simply the absence of belief in the gods
edit on 27/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Okay, so by asserting a claim from ignorance backed by anecdotal thinking gets your point across. The idea first off that atheist have an agenda, the agenda must be something horrid. But I'll take a shot. Yes, the agenda is: we don't believe and will continue not to believe you until you can present evidence that backs what you claim. Like your bull# claim of "well, In short my answer to that goes like this. Because in the same way you have the right to sit around and ask condescending questions, in judgement of God! Or not! The man who shot the deputy in Bailey had the right to pull the trigger."

So please, by all means, just prove your claim of this deity, 1 of 5000 claimed to be in existence, so I and the rest of the atheist world can stop this awful agenda of waiting for you to prove what you say.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

It would be reasonably accurate to say "I believe that there are no purple dinosaurs on Pluto." You're arguing semantics and it's entirely pointless. tomayto, tomahto

Take a stand, dont sit on the fence. Do you or do you not believe there are purple dinosaurs on pluto?

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Just stop.

Atheism is a belief in the non-existence of a god/deity. It doesn't even make sense to say that you have a non-belief in something. What exactly is a "non-belief?" It's simply a belief that the thing in question doesn't exist.

Your argument from semantics is ridiculous.

If you are an atheist, then you are of the belief that there is no god/creator. Easy as that. Theists believe there is, atheists believe there isn't.

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

You would love it if the playing field was even like that, if atheists were also making a claim and would then also share the burden of proof. But as with a few other relevant things.....what you believe to be true has no bearing on the truth. And as has been demonstrated to you with evidence and logic, your own personal definition for people that do not share your collection of superstitions is incorrect.

Theists claim there is a god, atheists reject this claim, they do not believe them.

ANYTHING else you assign to the definition is superfluous.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

a reply to: Prezbo369

Well maybe you come across as insanely judgmental.

A2D

Says the person with an attack on Atheist's character in their sig....
edit on 27-2-2016 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

It's clear you meant the religious definition, t

Do you care to tell me what my favorite color is too, LMAO

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Good job criticizing someone of arguing semantics then proceeding to do the same. You seem far more worried about the definition of the word "belief".

Take your own advice.

Just stop.

You also failed to understand what Ghost wrote. You were arguing semantics, he made an actual point.
edit on 27-2-2016 by Esoterotica because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

It would be reasonably accurate to say "I believe that there are no purple dinosaurs on Pluto." You're arguing semantics and it's entirely pointless. tomayto, tomahto

No it isn't. You believe it's perfectly reasonable because you believe atheists are actually making a claim.

The definition of being an atheist has nothing to do with making any claim at all.

Stating something doesn't exist and lacking a belief in that same thing are two entirely separate stances.

Just stop.

Atheism is a belief in the non-existence of a god/deity. It doesn't even make sense to say that you have a non-belief in something. What exactly is a "non-belief?" It's simply a belief that the thing in question doesn't exist.

Your argument from semantics is ridiculous.

That isn't my argument, that is the definition of an atheist that crosses all the sources that we use to define what a word is.

If you can't accept that, then it has nothing to do with my position, you simply reject reality, you are willfully delusional.

If you are an atheist, then you are of the belief that there is no god/creator. Easy as that. Theists believe there is, atheists believe there isn't.

You're inability to comprehend a simple definition, despite everyone saying otherwise, and despite all definitions from reputable sources on how to define words (dictionaries, universities, encyclopedias) is deeply disturbing.

How much evidence do we need to present for you to be able to accept reality?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Take a stand, dont sit on the fence. Do you or do you not believe there are purple dinosaurs on pluto?

A2D

Do you?! Are you saying you actually have a strong opinion on the existence of purple dinosaurs on Pluto? Really?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join