It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Answers for Atheists

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
a reply to: Prezbo369

When you speak, do you ALWAYS preface things with "in my opinion"...I know I don't, and I can tell when someone is speaking from an opinion or from a matter of fact...(in person at least)

"That information is bull#"
"God created the universe"
"Atheists have an agenda"
"The big bang has no evidence"
"Before the universe there was nothing"

Those are not matter-of-fact claims to you?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

The problem with this thread is that it's based on a false premise. There for it can't answer any questions, because atheists have no questions.

That's kinda the problem. You think you've got it all figured out and don't need to explore any further. You're not interested in discovering truth, just in tearing down the beliefs of others and making them feel bad about themselves in the process.

If Atheists were genuinely interested in the truth, they wouldn't berate and otherwise insult anyone who disagrees with them at every conceivable opportunity.

They would engage in respectful discourse, which they do about as often as we hear of a new Bigfoot sighting--every once in a while.
edit on 2/27/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Atheism is a lack of belief in deity...that doesn't mean "lack of interest" or that they don't have questions...

If there were such an extreme lack of interest and/or questions...there wouldn't be any atheists visiting threads such as this one. In my personal experience, atheists tend to enjoy talking about the lack of deity more than many theists enjoy talking about the existence of one....

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

When you speak, do you ALWAYS preface things with "in my opinion"...I know I don't, and I can tell when someone is speaking from an opinion or from a matter of fact...(in person at least)

a2D

While Randyvs didn't specifically state he was making an absolute claim, going off his OP and his posting history it's quite clear he was indeed saying what he said as 'a matter of fact'...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

No, those are not. Those to me are statements coming from an emotionally engaged person speaking from his own opinion/belief system.

read: *In my opinion* before each statement...

A2D
edit on 27-2-2016 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

That's a bold assumption. It's up to randy to say whether or not he thinks it is absolute...you are in no position to make that claim for him...just as I cannot say with certainty that he was speaking from opinion...

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
That's kinda the problem. You think you've got it all figured out and don't need to explore any further.

Please, feel free to elaborate of your knowledge on what I believe I've 'figured out'.

You're not interested in discovering truth, just in tearing down the beliefs of others and making them feel bad about themselves in the process.

Please quote the posts in which this is evident.

The only thing I have ever responded to in this topic are direct claims that state something is fact, such as "there is an atheist agenda" or the specifications on scientific theories, in which I've provided evidence to back up my information.

That has nothing to do with the OP's personal beliefs. He is making claims on topics that don't adhere to his personal beliefs that are simply false, and so I, and others, have been here to provide information on those topics which he clearly doesn't fully understand.

If Atheists were genuinely interested in the truth, they wouldn't berate and otherwise insult anyone who disagrees with them at every conceivable opportunity.

Ah, because the backlash we've received and the personal insults we've received throughout this topic by Christians and theists doesn't exist, right?

Again, feel free to quote my direct insults.

They would engage in respectful discourse, which they do about as often as we hear of a new Bigfoot sighting.

Like christians right?

The Christians that, in this very topic have said things like:

"I am the only smart person here"
"Your opinion is bull#"
"All that information is garbage and anyone who believes it is an idiot"

Yes... very Christ-like behavior.

Now, if you feel like actually providing some substance to this thread, please feel free to actually address the information all of us have given you.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

No, those are not. Those to me are statements coming from an emotionally engaged person speaking from his own opinion/belief system.

read: *In my opinion* before each statement...

Right, so how exactly do you determine if something is spoken as a matter-of-fact?

Your same argument that "you don't need to place "in my opinion" before each statement" also applies to stating "as a matter of fact" before each statement.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

That's kinda the problem. You think you've got it all figured out and don't need to explore any further. You're not interested in discovering truth, just in tearing down the beliefs of others and making them feel bad about themselves in the process.

No you've got it the wrong way around, all atheists actually say is they don't believe your claims for gods and their explanations for literally everything. This is nothing but projection on your part...

Some beliefs are not worthy of any respect.

They would engage in respectful discourse, which they do about as often as we hear of a new Bigfoot sighting--every once in a while.

The claims being made by theists are very simlar to bigfoot sightings tbh....

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

It's up to randy to say whether or not he thinks it is absolute...

Sure it is, I just said he didn't state as much.....?

you are in no position to make that claim for him...just as I cannot say with certainty that he was speaking from opinion...

Well like I said I was going off his posting history, taking the evidence into account etc....

PS: why do you always sign off your posts? your label is already stamped on every post you make....along with your avatar

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

"Well... HE started it!"

Is all I hear. I'm not a Christian. Comparing the despicable acts of Atheists to similar behavior in Christians doesn't have the effect on me that you want it to, nor is it an effective debate tactic in general.

I'm not talking about Christian behavior. I'm talking about Atheists generally (Oh no! Generalization! Who wants to be the first to tell me which logical fallacy that is? Don't trip over yourselves.), not you specifically. When I say "you" I mean the proverbial "you" to represent the typical, capital-A Atheist.

I don't really have the time (nor the inclination) to dig through all of your backhanded comments about believers over the years.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Because it's something I do? Why? Does it bother you?

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Exactly my point. If you can't determine whether he's speaking from opinion or from a matter of fact, then you shouldn't assume either or.

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

It just comes across as pompous and silly.

But now I know it's also pointless

edit on 27-2-2016 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Well maybe you come across as insanely judgmental.

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

"Well... HE started it!" is all I hear

Why are you so offended by us providing valid information to his misunderstanding of topics?

Comparing the despicable acts of Atheists to similar behavior in Christians doesn't have the effect on me that you want it to, nor is it an effective debate tactic in general.

I'm not trying to have an effect on you. You stated that Atheists in this topic are presenting 'despicable acts', and I just showed you that the OP and the Theists are doing the same thing. It's not an attempt to effect you in any way, I'm just showing how both sides have acted this way, so your point is moot.

I'm talking about Atheists generally (Oh no! Generalization! Who wants to be the first to tell me which logical fallacy that is? Don't trip over yourselves.), not you specifically. When I say "you" I mean the proverbial "you" to represent the typical, capital-A Atheist.

And how do atheists act 'generally?' There is no general consensus about anything within atheism excluding the lack of belief in gods.

Do you believe that all Buddhists act in this presupposed way too? because the vast majority of them are Atheists.

Did you act the way you presupposed Atheists all, in general, do when you were younger? Because you certainly weren't born believing in a god.

Your concepts are ridiculous.

I don't really have the time (nor the inclination) to dig through all of your backhanded comments about believers over the years.

Ah, so all statements no evidence. Got it. You're free to leave the topic now considering you don't even want to put the effort in to backing your own claims. Thanks for all the substance you've provided to this thread.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

I rest my case. The bigotry is unf#believable.

edit on 2/27/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Exactly my point. If you can't determine whether he's speaking from opinion or from a matter of fact, then you shouldn't assume either or.

Except we can determine it. The OP continuously posts in the same manner, and has stated things as fact, things similar to the concepts within the OP throughout his time on ATS.

One does not directly state that "that information is false" without having a reason other than Opinion to do so.

One does not reject all information due to opinion, it's because they are presenting their position as absolute.

You're free to ask him yourself.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Saying the vast majority of buddhists are atheists is actually a bit dishonest. Buddhism and atheism don't really have much in common, other than the fact that buddhism doesn't require belief in a deity/creator. There is however, a base concept of "god" involved in buddhism, but it's more related to happiness than the traditional western view of "god".

Buddhism, unlike atheism, agrees with other religions that true and lasting happiness cannot be found in this material world.

A2D

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

I rest my case. The bigotry is unf#believable.

You completely misunderstand what he means.

Yes, I respect your right to have an opinion and to practice a belief, so on and so forth. But I do not have to respect the belief itself.

Especially when that belief is founded on ignorance and makes direct claims as to what is or isn't factual and then when the accurate information that actually depicts the topic is given, multiple times, and totally rejected without any reason other than [Shuts eyes and plugs ears], there is absolutely no reason why we should respect that position what so ever.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join