It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘White Privilege’ training for teachers-Pacific Educational Group

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Spider879

Are you saying that getting a cab is white privilege?

How many of those cab drivers are white let's be honest here?

It doesn't matter it's the attitude and assumption about "race" that matters even among Black and minority folks, it get even worst when it involves LEO, a person with a Black sounding name have way lower response on a job resume than a white one.

www.clutchmagonline.com... ease/
Klik^ here for text.
Again let me repeat no one is saying that white folks do not work hard for what they have it's just a fact that they have an easier time off it, and there in lays the "white privilege"

Well it sounds like the assumers have the problem.

You know what they say about that.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
White privilege only means this. You have an easier time in life in most countries and places if you are a white, Christian heterosexual male. Especially if you are English speaking. That is only because those with power in the last few centuries were white, heterosexual, christian males. They had 98% of the power in the world.

Basic psychology, teaches us that people like people who are like themselves. There fore power was shared, and these people in power helped and negotiated and married and did business deals with people who were white, christian heterosexual males.

That's changing now with how small the world has gotten, and with technology and with how we are changing as a world society.

But, the truth cannot be denied.

Yay,

Lower the water, don't raise the bridge!

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elliot

Where did that 98% of power 'figure' come from?

Even in the last 50 years, who has been running India, China, Pakistan, Africa, Japan...........?

Look at the world's billionaire list..............I suspect the vast majority on there are not the fabled priviliged.

Lots of so called 'truths' turn out to be something else altogether.

But it's only about America, not the rest of the world!
It wouldn't work on a global scale.

How many Brahmins are white, in india?
How many Mufti's and Ayatollahs are white?
Pharaoh's?
Sho-guns?
Emperors?

It's all BS.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki

originally posted by: Spider879

a reply to: BIGPoJo

Awareness is the beginning.
Understanding and comprehension are further steps.

I gave the same answer above..but I guess it won't take because it's all anecdotal.

I guess the difference is I'm white...

...some people get it, some people don't want to, and I understand that, when it challenges you and go right to the very core of one's perceived being.

However do you live with yourself?

What are you doing about it besides feeling guilty?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

White privilege only means this. You have an easier time in life in most countries and places if you are a white, Christian heterosexual male. Especially if you are English speaking. That is only because those with power in the last few centuries were white, heterosexual, christian males. They had 98% of the power in the world.

Basic psychology, teaches us that people like people who are like themselves. There fore power was shared, and these people in power helped and negotiated and married and did business deals with people who were white, christian heterosexual males.

That's changing now with how small the world has gotten, and with technology and with how we are changing as a world society.

Yay,

Who said anything about lowering water or raising bridges. Not sure what you mean. LOL Was this mean for an engineering thread, like with the Panama canal?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Yay,

Who said anything about lowering water or raising bridges. Not sure what you mean. LOL Was this mean for an engineering thread, like with the Panama canal?

Really?

Why jump through hoops, when raising the bar is easier and preferable?

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

However do you live with yourself?

What are you doing about it besides feeling guilty?

I don't feel guilty, big fella. I try to maintain awareness of my privilege every day and act in a biculturally-aware and meaningful way, which is appropriate in my position as a pakeha in Aotearoa.

You need to learn to multiquote

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I thought this was relevant:

Black MP Dawn Butler 'mistaken for cleaner' in Westminster

Dawn Butler told BBC 5 Radio Live she was in a members-only lift when an unnamed Commons member told her: "This lift really isn't for cleaners."

The Labour MP for Brent Central said it had been one of "so many incidents" of racism she had encountered while in Parliament.

The 46-year-old became an MP in 2005 and was re-elected last year.

Just one example among thousands, nay millions, worldwide, daily.

'White privilege' isn't about disempowering white (well, pink, beige etc) people. It's about awareness of deeply-seated prejudices which affect us on a subconscious level.

There are links earlier in the thread for those who continually refuse to understand the concept.

Maybe people such as yourself should learn the definition of the word "privilege" before using it in your favourite phrase, which only seems to incite racial division. I don't see Asians/Arabs/Latinos whining nearly as much about the so-called white privilege as do black people for some reason. I wonder why that is?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Yay,

Really?

Why jump through hoops, when raising the bar is easier and preferable?

Circus? Trying to relate. Too many idioms.

All I'm saying is that, there is such a thing as white privilege. It doesn't effect everyone, it doesn't give anyone an excuse not to succeed and in many cases the advantage it gives you is small and irrelevant, but since it does exist, it's worth mentioning and discussing...just like the gender pay gap and several other issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join