It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What % of religious people are "comfortably clueless" when it comes to politics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I, myself am religious (Christian, not a perfect one) and it seems a lot of people I know in the Christian community are nice people and all, but kind of in their own little bubble. It seems strange sometimes, since religion and world issues are so intertwined.
Maybe....I just get spoiled from reading all of these posts from intelligent people on ATS. It almost seems like the church should be obliged to make connections between Gods word & current events. I wish all like minded ATS members lived near me, so I could start a political/religious bible study around a bonfire once a week

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
90% of people are clueless no matter their religion or lack there of. You have to remember that ATS is a microcosm of people that are attune to current events, most people have no idea what's going on.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 222mockingbirdlane

Most Christians I know are very well versed in politics. My grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins on my mom's side of the family knew politics inside and out. They could run circles around the average ATS poster.

It was annoying because if they weren't talking about Christianity or the Church they talked about politics and they knew their stuff inside and out. I couldn't visit them that often it drove me nuts.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Well from my own experience I have found the opposite true to a degree.

Most churches I have belonged to had quite a few successful folks in them, they were the ones paying the bills (and had the most influence) including doctors,politicians, etc.

I took the courses and training to be a pastor, acted as both youth pastor as well as a worship leader. As my credentials.

I left it behind when everyone around me was more interested in getting paid to chat, just a good job, and not so interested in actually living a life style.

Paid to preach imagine that......goes against my principles.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Treespeaker

Well from my own experience I have found the opposite true to a degree.

Most churches I have belonged to had quite a few successful folks in them, they were the ones paying the bills (and had the most influence) including doctors,politicians, etc.

I took the courses and training to be a pastor, acted as both youth pastor as well as a worship leader. As my credentials.

I left it behind when everyone around me was more interested in getting paid to chat, just a good job, and not so interested in actually living a life style.

Paid to preach imagine that......goes against my principles.

I see some of that too "the church business" some people are just trying to open more and more chain churches, and then it becomes taboo to mention politics, because everyone has a different opinion on that, and when you're running a business, you have to be very PC and not offend or alienate any group. It's almost like their life becomes a campaign. Maybe that is part of the problem with the church I go to....

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
That's funny 😊 I wish I had that family, though my mom is top notch to talk to about that stuff, so at least there's her (:

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: 222mockingbirdlane
I, myself am religious (Christian, not a perfect one) and it seems a lot of people I know in the Christian community are nice people and all, but kind of in their own little bubble. It seems strange sometimes, since religion and world issues are so intertwined.

I wish there were a way for you to not take this personally, but Christians are by definition comfortably clueless. There are some good "living points" in Christianity and other religions, but the basic premises are ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You don't see nor understand how they perceive time.....the length.

Blinded by your truth.

The door is the door, the truth the truth. A word. And then words.

If the knowledge doesn't follow truth it's useless.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I think everyone lives in a fine little bubble, leave them there..

I, myself am religious (Christian, not a perfect one) and it seems a lot of people I know in the Christian community are nice people and all, but kind of in their own little bubble.

You seem doing just fine..

Let the animals take care of the animals

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Treespeaker

You don't see nor understand how they perceive time.....the length.
Blinded by your truth.
The door is the door, the truth the truth. A word. And then words.
If the knowledge doesn't follow truth it's useless.

That has no meaning. It's complete gibberish. It's not even good poetry.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Ok so without preamble then.

Mystical truth religion etc. call what you will.

If it doesn't follow truth as in build a thriving end is false.

If you look at a flower on a tree either if fails or it blooms.

The flower is a metaphor, and the ultimate truth.

Weather the sunshine of the metaphoric shines on one or not.

The sun is present and so are we.

It's not a puzzle, it's not meant to be a burden.

A race we all run on.

Those that are willing to help or pace are all part of the solution.

The concept of grace with consequence, is not two much a duality for you I hope.

so if a community understanding a long road collects together it's to be feared?

I haven't had that experience,I have met so many good Samaritans.

Luck on the road, take chips.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
My 2c from observations over the years....

When conservative Christians started out as a voting bloc decades ago, they responded to mass snail mail sent by conservative groups warning them to vote on family values and issues such as abortion and gay lifestyle. "Voters Guides" were mailed or left in church lobbies to be picked up, and all Christian voters had to do was vote as the guide stated.

Fast forward to the internet, same thing as above, only this time Christian emailings flooded online mailboxes, and allowed the same warnings and "voters guides" to be responded to and forwarded ad nauseam. End Times prophecies and fears helped persuade Christians to be patriotic in the Bush/Cheney Iraq War years.

Conservative Christians certainly were in a political bubble, their only political activity being to send an automatic, pre-written response to some politician or to vote the way they were told to vote. And, judging from the good conservative Christians I knew, they voted for politicians based on a belief that those politicians were as God fearing and as morally good as they themselves were. (And if the politician somehow ran afoul of God's Law, then all that politician had to do was declare that he had asked for God's forgiveness, God had forgiven him, and the Christian voter must therefore forgive him, too.)

Honestly, there was no need for the conservative Christian to understand economics or politics, as it all boiled down to just doing what a pastor, an email, a voters guide, a tv/radio personality said to do. Conservative Christians had put their faith in those things, rather than in themselves to think about the world aroud them. It seemed to me that the more religiously fundamental a Christian was, the more they put their faith in someone telling them what to do.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I am a Christian, although I eschew congregational religion, because of the toxic, mortally controlled hierarchy inherent in all organisations, religious or otherwise.

I am also politically aware.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Christians only need to know that faith in Jesus Christ will save their spirit from eternal damnation.

Nothing else matters, especially world politics that is about to be vaporized to hell anyway.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
If you want to find people clueless about politics go to an inner city area. Or go to Hollywood. Both seem to have the political knowledge of a grapefruit.

top topics

join