It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Massive Mudslide in California Destroys Homes - 6 Dead, 12 Missing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
A large mudslide crashed down after breaking off from a large hill in Ventura County, Southern California. It has destroyed about fifteen homes and killed six people. An additional 12 residents are still missing. The mudslides are the result of record breaking amounts of rain that California is currently recieving.

The Ledger
A huge mudslide crashed down on homes in a coastal hamlet of storm-battered Southern California, killing one person and damaging at least 15 homes, authorities said.

A four-block area of homes in tiny La Conchita were affected, said Ventura County Fire Department spokesman Tom Kruschke. Numerous injuries were reported, he said. La Conchita is a slip of a town pressed between a highway and a towering coastal bluff northwest of Los Angeles. Several houses were damaged there during powerful storms in the 1990s.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Parts of California have seen the most rainfall in recorded history over the last two weeks. Rivers are overflowing and washing out roads, streets are flooded, and the very landscape in some areas of the state is being changed.

The video footage of this slide is amazing. A huge piece of a hill just breaks off, and you can certainly see just how large and destructive something like this can be.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
What are the local news stations there? That way we might be able to see the video you're seeing.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Here is a link to the local NBC affiliate. They also have links to pictures, and currently a live broadcast, for those with broadband.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I saw it about 13 more houses got damage, and earlier it was a house with three people that got hit by mudslide, the people escaped thank god.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Check out this rock!

A boulder some 25 feet high blocks both lanes of the Topanga Caynon Road, Monday, Jan. 10, 2005, as electrical contractors fix broken power and communication lines in Malibu, Calif.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
They just showed some of it on the late news here in Australia, this is
unusual right?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Does anyone have access to the video of the actual mudslide taking place? It's got to be an amazing sight. I can't find it anywhere.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The death toll according to the news reports on radio is now 5 with 13 missing including 3 children. Another report that I have not been able to find an online source for is that a man whos family is missing was handcuffed at gunpoint when he charged the police barrier to get to the site.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Apparently the death toll is now 6 people.. With 12 people missing still.

Yahoo News

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Pictures of the slide:

[edit on 11-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
It is called climate change. It is happening all over the world. I dont see the relevance of this as it is hardly a top secret issue since the rainfall figures are readily available to everyone (You can even collect this data yourself with a rain gauge
) I would welcome and attempts at associating this tidbit with above, below or even slightly left of top secret.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesBlonde
It is called climate change. It is happening all over the world. I dont see the relevance of this as it is hardly a top secret issue since the rainfall figures are readily available to everyone (You can even collect this data yourself with a rain gauge
) I would welcome and attempts at associating this tidbit with above, below or even slightly left of top secret.

It is actually something that deserves our attention, and it does deserve to be in ATS. Not everyone knows about climate change or it's reality, and i don't know why you find boring something that is taking so many lives, and it will get worse. i don't find it entertaining, but i don't put it in the category of "boring" either....

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Well is suppose it was quite exciting for some folks, a little too much so by the looks. Excuse my callousness but i went to a poor school and we couldnt afford empathy, we has to make do with mop buckets. I hardly see how such a common occurence as a mudslide rates a mention, despite the tragedy inflicted upon the people involved. I see it as just a side effect climate change which we who have studied the earths history know is a frequent occurance which often has severe consequences. I am sure that is was posted in good faith and all i am looking for are some reasons which validate the existance of this post. I welcome any attempts to do so. I would like to say that I didnt mean any disrespect to the poster or those involved in these events. It is just that I am practically on the other side of the world and being mildly provocative to start an intelligent discussion with any takers.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
First off, as i said i do not find it exciting, perhaps you didn't understand what i said.

To put it simply, this forum is for news, what is happening around the world. Climate change is one of the issues we present in ATSNN, with links, interviews done to scientists by mods, reporters and members too, etc, etc.

Ignoring something that is happening is not going to make it go away, people need to be informed that we are currently undergoing a climate change, and one of the ways we do that is presenting evidence as to what is happening. People can make better choices if they are informed, or at least be prepared, that is another reason why ATSNN exists, but mainly it is a news forum.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I quite agree with you, climate change as mentioned here is having a profound effect upon us all and many people remain, despite obvious world wide evidence to the contrary, quite skeptical and even disdainful. I got a little caught up in thinking of smart things to say and forgot that this was a news network which explains the crossed wires on my behalf.

It is what we call a brain fart.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The death toll has now reached 10, with 3 still missing. This is really unfortunate, hopefully there's not another mudslide.

Officials warned residents of a California hamlet on Wednesday that the steep hills overlooking their community could collapse again as the death toll from a mudslide rose to 10 with three still missing.

more

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Not to sound callous, but in 1995 the exact same hill gave way in almost exactly the same way. Sure a view of the ocean is nice, but my sympathy wanes for those who put themselves in a spot which is known to be dangerous.

I see this as tantamount to someone wanting to plant a wheat field over Love Canal. Uh, yeah, you're going to be poisoned by that wheat.

Ultimately, what was the cause here? Massive deforestation of California. Can you imagine how much water a redwood consumes? Anyone want to bet that it's a lot more than the scrub-brushes that were washed right off the hillside?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
While more trees and the like would help prevent such things, when such large amounts of water are dumped in a short period there's no way it can all be absorped so the problem would not necessarily be solved by curbing deforestation. But they should anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
While more trees and the like would help prevent such things, when such large amounts of water are dumped in a short period there's no way it can all be absorped so the problem would not necessarily be solved by curbing deforestation. But they should anyway.

Though I agree that curbing deforestation is not a guaranteed solution, keep in mind that the root structure of a redwood forest would likely have served as an anchor for that hillside that the shallow rooting of the scrub-brush did not.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaosrain
Though I agree that curbing deforestation is not a guaranteed solution, keep in mind that the root structure of a redwood forest would likely have served as an anchor for that hillside that the shallow rooting of the scrub-brush did not.

Very true, I hadn't considered that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join