It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*POP* Goes The Graphics Card

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
When I came home today I found my computer frozen and I could actually see the individual dots. So I turned it off, turned it back on and got black. Then I turned it off for about half an hour, turned it back on and now I get diagonal white lines. I just bought a new Nvidia 5200 (I think) graphics card in september or october. Is there anyway to save it? Could it be something else?

Thanks in advance for any help!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
how long has it been on? if you leave the monitor on for a couple of days with a static image on it it can stay that way!!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Was your computer itself frozen, or was it that the moniter wouldn't respond?

If the white lines are not to disrupting, get a game with a huge graphics memory requirement (like half-life 2). Play the game for a while.

Now you're not as depressed and you're ready to tackle this problem with a smile!

J/k. But you should try to return it to the store and explain the problem.

And if they say that the graphics card is done for, send it to me and I'll give it a whack (not literally). They'll sometimes say it's shot, even if it is fixable. They just want you to spend more and buy an entire new graphics card.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Well, the store won't take it back because it is past thirty days. The company may or may not take it back.

Last time it was working the computer was on all day, but the monitor was off. I came home from work, turned it on and got a screen that looked fuzzy - like half the pixels were gone. The screen was frozen, I couldn't do anything and had to restart. Then I got a black screen. So I turned it off and lit it sit about 10 min. Then I got the black screen with three white diagonal lines - nothing else. It did eventually work in Safe Mode, but that's it.

I put the old graphics card back and the computer works now, but the screen bounces a little sometimes. Maybe I damaged the old card taking it out? Not sure.

Guy at the store said old computers can blow a graphics card because they don't have enough power for the card. Could that be why?

And on a side note, I bought a new computer (the old one I bought four years ago) anyway and a PCIe graphics card. This one had better last!!!! I'd like to get the old one back up, too though (my Mom is using it).

Thanks!!

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Take the old graphics card out and see if the computer works then. If it does, it may be an incompatability. But then that would seem odd because it worked before the new one was used, right?

Give me the detailed specs of the computer (processor, OS, RAM, moniter) and I'll see what I can dig up.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The old graphics card is the one that came with the computer. Sorry, I don't have time to get the specs now, but it's an HP Pavillion 5500 (500?) or something like that. More later...

What are your thoughts on the new PCIe one I bought?

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Either a lack of voltage to supply the large requirements for the new graphics card, or it's got a bad GPU (which means it's dead).

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cercey
When I came home today I found my computer frozen and I could actually see the individual dots. So I turned it off, turned it back on and got black. Then I turned it off for about half an hour, turned it back on and now I get diagonal white lines. I just bought a new Nvidia 5200 (I think) graphics card in september or october. Is there anyway to save it? Could it be something else?

Thanks in advance for any help!

i love the topic its cool

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
possibly power supply or a power surge, my buddy one time was behind a falty surge protector and there was a short circuit and what not, his graphics card was the only thing the was broken it didnt affect any thing else, and yes he had a bunch of tiny dots.

new topics

top topics

join