It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What You Should Know About Satanism

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Although the statement that Satan isn't real is not even a remote possibility.

Sure it is. Just as god of the Abrahamic religions isn't real.

Scripture for starters would be enough to refute this...

"Scripture" refutes nothing, because it has been refuted by historians and scholars many times over.

Add to that literally thousands of eyewitness sources and the premise completely evaporates.

If eyewitness sources carry that much weight, then literally everything is true, all the time.

Anyone who studies the writings of former high level satanists, former shamans, ex-sorcerers, ex-witches, former voodoo priests, and occult grand masters, etc will find that this idea is not even remotely possible.

I and many many others are former Christians, and we're telling you there's no such thing as the biblical god, or his favorite whipping boy, Satan.

I have studied these writings for many years and the claims that "there is no devil" contradicts almost every single one of them.

And your claims contradict ours.

Unlike all those sources who agree with you, the sources I mentioned have no agenda to push.

LOL! At least you have a sense of humor.

All of those sources that have pushed this type of nonsense on all of us our entire lives have no credibility and for me personally, I find this extremely telling.

They have at least as much or more credibility as the ones you're pushing.

Because their can be no God if there is no Satan.

Exactly. Neither one is real.

If there is a "god", no religion on earth represents, or holds the copyright to said entity.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

This example is former witch Ana Mendez's testimony...

You mean this Ana Mendez?

Ana Mendez Ferrell is a hypercharismatic who professes to have magnificent powers, encounters, and manifestations. One of her boldest claims is that she resurrected her child from the dead, and she also says she did battle in her home with Satan after he appeared to her in person. But, I think one of her more outrageous claims is that God instructed her to climb Mt. Everest and do battle with the Queen of Heaven.

Link
Lol!
She's a fraud.
Ana Mendez battles the "Queen Of Heaven"

edit on 2/24/2016 by Klassified because: add link

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
I love Satan. At least he puts it out there and doesn't demand that you worship him.

Cool guy, all around. Fun as hell to go to parties with too...

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’

Satan is indeed the new-age good guy who gave us knowledge, Jesus is the new-age bad guy whose followers started Christianity and ruined the planet. We can see this philosophy all around us in every facet of western life as well as Christianity also not being tolerated in the Middle East.

The Biblical account of the "end times" predicted that this philosophy and mindset would dominate the world.

Join the "enlightened" and Hail Satan and Hate Jesus, it's the cool hip thing to do.

When people's economy at home goes sour and they live off food stamps...you can really see Jesus is not doing anything good for them. So people are turning to Satan for better knowledge and hopefully more wealth. But all the real Christian bible thumpers will always turn away this offer from Satan...probably stating they have a cramp in their legs...reminds me of this clip:

And Satan I am sure is a cool guy to party with...

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
I love Satan. At least he puts it out there and doesn't demand that you worship him.

Cool guy, all around. Fun as hell to go to parties with too...

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’

Satan is indeed the new-age good guy who gave us knowledge, Jesus is the new-age bad guy whose followers started Christianity and ruined the planet. We can see this philosophy all around us in every facet of western life as well as Christianity also not being tolerated in the Middle East.

The Biblical account of the "end times" predicted that this philosophy and mindset would dominate the world.

Join the "enlightened" and Hail Satan and Hate Jesus, it's the cool hip thing to do.

You say that like its an "either or" deal but it isn't. There's the Norse, roman, Hindu, Celtic, Egyptian, native american or Slavic gods, to name just a few pantheons. False dichotomy is false.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Dp.
edit on 24-2-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
I don't give a crap about Satan vs Christ. I just want to know where we are going from here.

Once you're dead, the universe ends. At least for you, anyway, and that's all that really matters, right?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
a reply to: Blue Shift
Care to discuss the logical errors of Satanism?What inconsistencies? I'm open to discussion. And no I am neither Christian nor Satanist.

Probably the biggest problem is with the division of the universe into light and dark forces. It's a completely made-up construct. Even in the darkest dark, there is some light, and vice versa. These forces are not at war with each other. That's a holdover from Zoroastrianism.

Christians and Satanists are exactly alike in that they feel personally small in the world, and they want to associate themselves with something they see as big and powerful. But science has shown us just how large the universe is, so feeling small is a natural and reasonable response. We are small and essentially insignificant in the grand scheme of things, and no amount of playing dress-up, making hand signs and bowing and scraping before some fictional supernatural entity is going to change that.

The funny thing is that Satanists think they're really getting in the face of Christianity and are being shocking (something a teenager might do), when they're just playing the same video game.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift
There is no light or dark in Satanism in terms of magic or rituals as that is a Christian construct.

With what are Satanists trying to associate with that is larger?

What supernatural entity in Satanism?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wow. Interesting post and conversation here. Who knew Satanism didn't involve Satan? I'll be damned, learn something new everyday. After reading this thread, I'm somewhat reluctant to admit it but I may have unintentionally been practicing Satanism for the past quarter century or so. Its not something i'm proud of, particularly, but if the OP's description of Satanism is truly accurate, then I am forced to reconsider everything. I don't actively worship myself or my ego, per se. I have however, been so wrapped up in the material world and my own physical needs and desires, that I often don't consider others and have little, if any, "spirituality".
I have a couple issues though. It seems kinda contradictory to start a religion that despises religion. And naming the religion after a metaphor you don't believe in, simply to "rile up" Christians,etc seems silly, juvenile and very misleading. Why base your non-religion on something you don't believe in, just to piss off people whose beliefs you supposedly don't care about? Sounds a tad insecure to me. The OP says Satanists are wrongly stereotyped as the cloaked and hooded "goths" and that they don't actually worship Satan. Well, maybe you don't do that at your particular "non-church" but its undeniable that there are plenty of weirdos out there who do believe in Satan and invoke his name with rituals and "magic". And what about the plethora of stories about rituals involving sick, twisted acts with children? Evil most definitely exists in this world and to even remotely align yourself with Satan or use his name just doesn't make sense to me.
I will say this though: at least (if the OPs description of Satanism is accurate) Satanists are honest and don't pretend to be holy and righteous. I know plenty of so called Christians who act so holier than thou and think they are better than others because of their beliefs. They can be as selfish and "evil" as anyone else, but as long as they go to church and repent for their sins, all is well. However, something about Satanism doesn't "smell right" for me and I get the feeling that many Satanists are misleading or being mislead. In light of the OPs post, I will continue to think and consider possibilities that differ from the Christian programming I received as a child. Threads like this are why I joined ATS and I appreciate hearing other perspectives, whether or not I believe them to be my personal truths.
edit on 24-2-2016 by Tuomptonite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Tuomptonite
The name isn't meant to rile them up. I posted a quote explaining the name
Also if I may ask, in what way does the religion hate religion? I might understand what you mean a bit, but could you explain? I like your answer, pleasure to read.
And this part:". However, something about Satanism doesn't "smell right" for me and I get the feeling that many Satanists are misleading or being mislead." If you could explain what you mean?

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Thank you for your reply. I just typed a few paragraphs in response to your questions but I accidentaly deleted it. Ive gotta couple things I must attend to but I will be return later and answer your questions. Please understand that by no means am I trying to attack anyones beliefs or belittle anyone. Nor do I think I am "right" or have all the answers. Or any answers, for that matter. I'm just spewing thoughts that stem from the religious programming I received as a child. I am not so set in my ways that I cannot consider a different perspective and I think the conversation going on here is super interesting. Gotta run for now, be back soon.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tuomptonite
Wow. Interesting post and conversation here. Who knew Satanism didn't involve Satan? I'll be damned, learn something new everyday.

Something that has yet to be clarified after 5 pages is that there is a stark difference between Theistic Satanism which for all intents and purposes is an unacknowledged Abrahamic religion and worships the biblical/scriptural Satan as a God. What the OP is referring to is LaVeyan Satanism which is an Atheistic/Agnostic philosophy as opposed to an actual religion. For context, to convert to Christianity, one must be baptized into a Church. In LaVeyan Satanism one doesn't need to be baptized in, there is no membership card or requirements or place of worship required to become a member of the CoS. You learn about it, and adhere to the philosophies.

After reading this thread, I'm somewhat reluctant to admit it but I may have unintentionally been practicing Satanism for the past quarter century or so. Its not something i'm proud of, particularly, but if the OP's description of Satanism is truly accurate, then I am forced to reconsider everything. I don't actively worship myself or my ego, per se. I have however, been so wrapped up in the material world and my own physical needs and desires, that I often don't consider others and have little, if any, "spirituality".

It takes a little more than self absorption to be a LaVeyan Satanist. And the epithets spouted throughout this thread regarding the selfishness and self worship of members of the CoS is complete BS

I have a couple issues though. It seems kinda contradictory to start a religion that despises religion. And naming the religion after a metaphor you don't believe in, simply to "rile up" Christians,etc seems silly, juvenile and very misleading. Why base your non-religion on something you don't believe in, just to piss off people whose beliefs you supposedly don't care about? Sounds a tad insecure to me.

It's not a true religion, its an Atheistic/Agnostic philosophy. In LaVeyan Satanism, Satan is merely metaphor. Won't believe in a literal Satan as put forth by Abrahamic faiths nor worship Satan as a deity. Instead, Satan is jus a metaphor for rebellion and nonconformity. The juvenilia people attempt to associate is misapplied here.

The OP says Satanists are wrongly stereotyped as the cloaked and hooded "goths" and that they don't actually worship Satan. Well, maybe you don't do that at your particular "non-church" but its undeniable that there are plenty of weirdos out there who do believe in Satan and invoke his name with rituals and "magic".

Hence my initial disclaimer that there seems to be a lack of clarity in the OP and its lack of differentiation between theistic Satanism and the Atheistic philosophy that is being discussed by the OP. Do you judge the Presbyterians based on how the Westboro Baptist Church behaves?

And what about the plethora of stories about rituals involving sick, twisted acts with children?

outside of isolate instances, that's all they are...stories.

Evil most definitely exists in this world and to even remotely align yourself with Satan or use his name just doesn't make sense to me.

perhaps because you're basing all of your knowledge on the subject off of 3rd hand information and the OP?
People don't need Satan to perpetrate acts that rational people would consider evil. People are just F'd up sometimes ad do sick things.

I will say this though: at least (if the OPs description of Satanism is accurate) Satanists are honest and don't pretend to be holy and righteous. I know plenty of so called Christians who act so holier than thou and think they are better than others because of their beliefs. They can be as selfish and "evil" as anyone else, but as long as they go to church and repent for their sins, all is well. However, something about Satanism doesn't "smell right" for me and I get the feeling that many Satanists are misleading or being mislead. In light of the OPs post, I will continue to think and consider possibilities that differ from the Christian programming I received as a child. Threads like this are why I joined ATS and I appreciate hearing other perspectives, whether or not I believe them to be my personal truths.

for reference purposes the sake of clarity...

The Nine Satanic Statements
1.Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence.
2.Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams.
3.Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit.
4.Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates.
5.Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek.
6.Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires.
7.Satan represents man as just another animal (sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours), who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual development", has become the most vicious animal of all.
8.Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.
9.Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years.[41]

The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth[edit]
1.Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
2.Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
3.When in another's lair, show them respect or else do not go there.
4.If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
5.Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
6.Do not take that which does not belong to you, unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
7.Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
8.Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
9.Do not harm little children.
10.Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
11.When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them.

The Nine Satanic Sins
1.Stupidity
2.Pretentiousness
3.Solipsism
4.Self-deceit
5.Herd Conformity
6.Lack of Perspective
7.Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
8.Counterproductive Pride
9.Lack of Aesthetics

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Alright I'll be waiting. I'm just curious is all and it is not my belief anyways.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar
Actually I'm just going to reply to the children rituals, though I'm sure you're aware, but children are held high and to not be harmed.

Looking at the sins (and I have read the Satanic Bible) and the statements, I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with the philosophy, though it technically is a religion of self and so just differs from others in the worship.

Great reply. Should help people see, unless they choose not to...

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

The name isn't meant to rile them up. I posted a quote explaining the name
Also if I may ask, in what way does the religion hate religion? I might understand what you mean a bit, but could you explain? I like your answer, pleasure to read.
And this part:". However, something about Satanism doesn't "smell right" for me and I get the feeling that many Satanists are misleading or being mislead." If you could explain what you mean?

I read somewhere in this thread that the Church of Satan despises religion and it just kinda struck me as odd to start a religion that hates religion. After a quick scan of this thread, I couldn't find the particular post that said this, so I apologize for making a comment upon a questionable source that I can't even find at the moment. I have almost zero knowledge of Satanism or the CoS, so I find the subject and this thread supremely intriguing. As a child, I was force fed Christianity and although Ive distanced myself from it over the years, I have a hard time getting past certain things I was taught. I was taught to believe that Satan was evil and a master of deciect. I suppose that's where I'm coming from when I say I suspect that Satanists are being mislead; the personal programming that was downloaded to me from my parents. I was taught that the Devil could trick you into thinking bad or evil things were actually good. I lived my childhood in actual fear of this Satan character and even though I'm non religious now, I guess I somehow still hold onto certain ideas or beliefs, even though I don't truly "believe" anymore. I don't know what to believe these days but I'm hesitant to consider anything Satan related because of the fear that was pumped into me as a young child. Anyway, as a disclaimer, I want to say that i'm not great at putting my thoughts and feelings into words and after re reading my post, I must apologize if it came across as judgemental or rude. I respect everyones right to believe whatever they choose and I must admit there are many things I'm reading here that make CoS sound halfway suitable, which is something I haven't thought about any religion for many years. I doubt I'd ever participate though because somewhere deep down, I think I still have a little bit of fear of the Horned, Hooved one. Excellent thread here though and I hope my rambling doesn't take away from the quality of the discussion going on.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Satan Satan Satan!

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Thank you for breaking that down Peter, it was very well written and provided me some clarity, for sure. My knowledge on this subject is based mostly on stereotypes and misconceptions, so a thread like this and posts like yours provide me much food for thought.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

a reply to: Sublimecraft
Generally liking your posts did you not read the OP? It says that Satan isn't worshiped or believed in by practicing Satanists.

The greatest lie the devil ever told was convincing the world he doesn't exist...

The OP here holds about as much water as any other religion's claims against their own members' bad behavior. Satanism doesn't involve worshiping the devil (please ignore the many, many Satanists who do exactly that and ignore the evidence that points directly toward Satanism being very much "of the devil"), Islam is a "religion of peace" (please ignore the fact that the majority of the world's terrorist groups prescribe to Islam and also ignore the fact that there is no peace to be found for anyone defined as an "infidel" in their holy books), etc. Hell, expand it to such ridiculousness as "Bruce Jenner claims to be a woman, so all must believe he's a woman" and "Democratic socialism isn't socialism, even though it is socialism, only because America still has a lot of rightful negativity towards the concept" and we have an entire chapter of 1984 describing the DoubleSpeak Orwell predicted to a tee.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Satanism is just a way for ugly people to find dates.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Just a little context and food for thought. I can totally see why you would reach this conclusion. The OP was not at all clear in differentiating between theistic Satanism which is what oh are describing and the actual subject of the OP which is specifically LaVeyan Satanism which is not an actual religion, it is an atheistic/agnostic philosophy and does not worship Satan. The group is viewed as, and especially so since Anton LaVey died nearly 20 years ago, an antithesis to the Abrahamic faiths. It really is no such thing. The fault however lies with Disinfo.com for presenting a rather vague OP and not explaining it properly at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join