It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Different alcoholic beverages and their differing effects and types of Drunkenness.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Not since college days have I taken enough to make me drunk (and that was beer).
One thing I've noticed in recent years, though it may be psychological. Alcohol taken late at night tends to keep me awake, as the heart beats faster longer. I discovered that Port seemed to be the only drink which did not have that effect, so a small glass of it would now be my preferred nightcap.

edit on 23-2-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It's placebo, alcohol doesn't give a s# what you're feeling when it's nerfing your brain. However, the drinker does, therefore when you associate say...gin with heavy angry drinking, you're going to be an angry drunk mofo because old wives tale expectations.

I've been trying to beat this stupidity out of my husband's head since the day we met. Minor progress achieved, he no longer thinks whiskey = fist fights. He still won't drink vodka, but honestly, it's a bogus psychological association with no merit whatsoever.

Bottom line is, if you're an asshole depending on what you drink, you need to work on changing your mindset, and yourself overall. Blaming booze types is an excuse to exude poor behavior/self control, and it doesn't fly.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
He still won't drink vodka...

Well, to his defense, no one should. There is not one good cocktail other than a Bloody Mary made with Vodka.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

He still won't drink vodka...

Well, to his defense, no one should. There is not one good cocktail other than a Bloody Mary made with Vodka.

Effing sissies. Straight, rocks or no.

Edit: And yes there is. Screwdrivers & Greyhounds. It's a great buddy to citrus
edit on 2/23/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
while i tend to feel that beer, whiskey and wine DO give me different "drunks", i have nothing more than anecdotal evidence.

But what about gin and other alcohols that are distilled with various botanical? Absinthe, Chartreuse (drink so good they named a color after it!) , Fernet?

Surely those have effects other than flavor and color?

a reply to: nonspecific

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Effing sissies. Straight, rocks or no.

All depends on what I am drinking and what my mood is.

Edit: And yes there is. Screwdrivers & Greyhounds. It's a great buddy to citrus

The Greyhound was originally made with Gin as were many modern cocktails now made with Vodka.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Beer makes me laugh.
Screwdrivers and champagne for brunch.
Martinis make me want to play poker.
Scotch makes me maudlin.
A Belfast Bomber makes me happy.
A rum runner is good for a sun burn at the beach.
And last but not least a good Margarita makes me want to play with the Mayan Princess.

A good friend calls it toleratence juice.

All in all, what ever the drink its location, location, location!
edit on 23-2-2016 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

edit on 2232016 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

edit on 2232016 by M4nWithNoN4me because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It's why they have been referred to as "spirits"

Allergies also play a huge part in how the buzz manifests. White Russian has wheat, corn and dairy...old medical school professor suggested that was the drink of choice for dates....pretty awful sentiment, but obviously empirically effective.
edit on 23-2-2016 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

More like a fact. Vodka is amateur hour when it comes to cocktails.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I have had one drinking rule since I was in my twenties. No tequila. I apparently love it too much. My ex husband once said "it's fine if you drink tequila, but in the future only drink it in the privacy of our home. It makes you too gregarious".
This occurred after he was late picking me up but we couldn't leave until I had introduced him to all the cool, brilliant, and enormously interesting friends I'd made. Hmmm.

Lol.

But a glass of Grand Marnier or some kind of cognac gives me a feeling of inner peace.

Too much beer makes me kind of stupid and silly but nobody seems to mind, least of all - me.
edit on 2/23/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Patron (tequila)makes my underwear come off .
Beer does nothing to me , cant even get drunk off of it but a good porter is damn sure tasty (I'm going on my 9th vanilla porter this evening and NOTHING, not even a slight buzz).
Scotch makes me mellow .
Bourbon makes me fiesty .
Jagermeister makes me giggle like a school girl .
Rum makes me mellow also
Moonshine , good ol moonshine , is a crap shoot .... happy , sleepy or just flat out mean .

Sorry , alcohol may be alcohol but each has a different effect on me .

ETA :I dont do vodka or gin . I dont do mixed drinks or shots either . If you are doing shots or mixing it with sugary soda/juice , you are drinking the wrong alcohol . Shots and mixed drinks are are for cheap crap like Jack Daniels and Jim Beam . Good bourbon , scotch , rum and tequila are for sipping and enjoying .
edit on 23-2-2016 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

What hard core drinker does NOT HAVE tequila stories to tell !?

I am still praying certain pictures of me dancing in the buff in the 80s doesn't find their way to my wife of 21 years . It already took some time just to get her to go out with me in the first place . She knew far to many stories about me .

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

i drank a 1/5th of hennesy and started seeing wavy blue grey lines in my field of vision

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I agree. Beer being my most common but in the old days with the 'worm' I liked to argue. Heck this board of all places knows that.

There is a difference but I can not explain it chemically except the other 'stuff' can affect the digestion.

I have always said there is no better buzz than Tequila, however the absinthe might be something but I just have never had the desire..

Good Thread

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

In my case, all the alcohol does to me is makes me more introverted - Doesn't matter if it's beer, rum, vodka (my favorite), or whiskey.

Only thing I notice on my end is that whiskey and rum "warm" me up, but it takes a lot to do this (the others don't do it to me).

Don't seem to have much other effects apart from that.

-fossilera

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I own a bar and literally I've personally served millions of drinks. I wish I knew how many beers I've opened in my life. I'm a USBG member and I've taken classes at Tails of the Cocktails in New Orleans. I've spent a lot of time traveling to study food and alcohol, in the US and abroad. With the current boom of the craft cocktail industry I've drank more types of liquers and liquor in the past few years than the other decades of service industry work.

In general people have a lot of myths about alcohol. I feel this is one of those myths. In truth what you mix alcohol with will probably have more of an effect.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join