It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctic Demolition Derby --> Due to Global Warming?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Two huge icebergs are getting ready to collide within the next few days.

Check this link

If this collision results in the collapse of more of the Antarctic ice sheets, it could raise sea levels and alter the climate even more in kind of a feedback effect.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Centurion I was wondering about that news is been around but nobody really has taken the time to research in the possible link between global warming and the recent Icebergs in the Antarctic.

I wonder if many more will come after these ones.

I read that the last time something like this happened was 2 thousand years ago.

The iceberg is bigger than my littler Island of PR. funny. I wonder how long it will survived as a whole before braking apart, and also if the iceberg will move south.

Believe it or not this is historical.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think there is a definite link. The ice sheets help keep temperatures down by reflecting sunlight back into space and sea levels down by locking up the water as ice. Lose the ice sheets and you get higher temperatures which will cause more ice to melt, etc., etc. Plus all that melted ice keeps raisng the sea level and flooding out more habitable land.

And think of all the human conflicts that may be generated by all this.

Not a great future scenario ...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have seen the maps of what the world will look like if the ice caps melt, and is not funny.

I will have a beach front here in GA. and Florida will be completely gone, so half of Louisiana and most of California.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yes, I'm at 330 feet here in SF Bay area, so I think I will also just barely have beach front property.

BTW, IMO the latest avatar is the best - even has a bikini tan line!

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
For those of you interested in what the world would look like with melted ice caps:

(this is from www.johnstonsarchive.net...)

(from www.zetatalk.com...)

- Attero

[edit on 10-1-2005 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Thanks Centurion

My God Attero, even my littler Island will go under water and we are suppoused to be on top of an underwarter mountain range.

We will have smaller land mass to live on.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Great, I'll be first to go considering I live about 20 miles from a beach in Miami. Well, I just want to tell everyone that it's been great being here on ATS, and that all the experiences shared will not be forgotten. I just hope you all make it through the inundation of the earth and don't get too wet.

Hey Marg, so you're from Puerto Rico? I have many many friends from Puerto Rico, but I myself am from Argentina. Good to see another spanish speaking ATSer.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Id like to see more maps, especially a zoom in of the East Coast of the United States.

According to your zeta talk source, india, australia and Russia will be impacted the most.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   

This is a preliminary attempt at a map of the Earth as it would be if the remaining ice caps melted. Sea level would be about 80 meters higher, which is depicted. Isostatic rebound would leave most of Greenland above sea level, but portions of Antarctica would be below sea level, which this map does not take into account. Vegetation changes are not represented so far. The base map is a modern map of the Earth from the Visible Earth web site. Sea level change is from Cornell University's Digital Earth. (Before anyone asks: this is not an outcome that can result from any modern human activity; probably 10,000 years of natural climatic warming would be required. See here for discussion.) Map centered on 0° longitude. from: www.johnstonsarchive.net...

This map seems to be the most reputable..

- Attero

P.S. Personally I like the map after the caps melt, there would be a bay/sea up near Kansas (I always wanted to live the near the ocean).. Just kiddin'

Edit: Well I used photoshop to create an image (overlayed images of our planet with caps and without caps) that more precisely shows which parts of the world will be submerged... But as luck has it, the member upload center is down.. So I found a free image hosting site, so here's the image:

The red areas are obviously the submerged areas

[edit on 11-1-2005 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaStEdDeAtH777

Hey Marg, so you're from Puerto Rico? I have many many friends from Puerto Rico, but I myself am from Argentina. Good to see another Spanish speaking ATSer.

Well I am glad to see more Spanish in ATS is a lot of Spanish people in here.

Attero, I see my littler island still stands

But Florida I feel sorry after all Florida is just a big sand dune barely floating on the water.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
why not what else would make a huge ice burg break off and send it floating into another ice burg.i would not be surprise if it cause more flooding.where will see in the news i guess.flukemol......

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This is taken straight from the article in the first post.

Scientists believe that the enormous piece of ice broke away as part of a long-term natural cycle (every 50-to-100 years, or so) in which the shelf, which is roughly the size of Texas, sheds pieces much as human fingernails grow and break off.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Just an FYI, only icecaps that are currently on solid ground(ie not floating) are what will cause the water to rise(its adding more volume to the oceans). If just the north and south poles melt we would probably see a decrease in ocean lvls. If you doubt that do this experiment. Take a glass of water(not made of glass!!) put it in the freezer(make sure to mark where the water stops before u put in in the freezer!!) till its solid, then take it out and melt it. What happens? The water lvl goes DOWN.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Correct, the danger stems from the icesheet that currently covers the rocks of Antarctica and greenland.

Maybe here is a unique oppertunity to turn a nuissance in an advantage, suppose you woud build large ringdikes around greenland and antarctica, it would first of all keep the ice in place , but if earth seriously warms up they would turn into humungous freshwater lakes! From Greenland pipelines can be laid to supply canada and north america. Natural rainfall will resupply these lakes, Fresh water that would be very low in pollution....

from antarctica, pipelines could quench the thurst of arid parts in south america/ south africa and australia, maybe even some hydroelectricity can be captured in the process.

That would be a first step towards planetscale mega-engineering where we would build a dam to close the bering-streat, a dam from greenland to iceland and a dam from iceland to euroipe, NOW you really got a serious freshwaterlake. Since sweet water tends to float on salt water, the dams don't have to go all the way to the bottom of the sea, it could be dams that are partially submerged, but actually floating in the water. This would allow us to influence the worldwide climate , like turning on-off the Gulfstream for example (don't try this at home and the usual warnings apply
)

[edit on 11-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I dunno Countermeasures, messing with technology before we truely understand the implications is what has gotten us into this mess in the first place. Your mega-engineering projects sound really neat, but make me very nervous at the same time...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ok you all,

If you fill a glass with ice and water, and let the glass sit at room temp, and allow the ice to melt, does the melted ice over flow the glass.

No it does not over flow the glass.

Same thing with the polar ice caps, the weight of the ice still displaces the same amount of water, frozen or not.

So the coastal flood scare is just that a scare.

Its a push by the tree huggers to get attention!

I am more worried about a quick melt, 5 years and both polar ice caps go, than a slow melt, lets say over 50 years.

The influx of fresh water into the oceans of the worlds would be far more harmfull to the climate than a rise in water levels!

The loss of common ocean currents like the Gulf Stream that we have today would be more of an impact to the human race and life on earth than we could ever dream of.

I guess we will have to wait and sea! Hah

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
SIRR1 I already said that
And by the way the real danger is in melting caps on LAND not the floating ones. If the Ice Caps that are currently on land melt it would add more volume to the Oceans and in turn that will raise sea levels. Not green propaganda just the facts.

The influx of fresh water into the oceans of the worlds would be far more harmfull to the climate than a rise in water levels!

This is another Danger with Global Warming. BTW To all those people who believe Water World will happen... Do you due dilligence and Deny Ignorance.

Same goes for the Day After Tommarow(the Movie not the Book)

[edit on 11-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
Ok you all,

If you fill a glass with ice and water, and let the glass sit at room temp, and allow the ice to melt, does the melted ice over flow the glass.

No it does not over flow the glass.

Same thing with the polar ice caps, the weight of the ice still displaces the same amount of water, frozen or not.

So the coastal flood scare is just that a scare.

Its a push by the tree huggers to get attention!

I am more worried about a quick melt, 5 years and both polar ice caps go, than a slow melt, lets say over 50 years.

The loss of common ocean currents like the Gulf Stream that we have today would be more of an impact to the human race and life on earth than we could ever dream of.

I guess we will have to wait and sea! Hah

What you say is true if the ice is already floating in the ocean.

However, it is not true if the ice is currently on land (like Antarctica and Greenland) or an ice shelf supported by land (the term used here is 'grounded'). When this type of ice melts it does raise the sea level. Also, sometimes sea ice acts like a cork keeping glaciers from moving into the ocean. When the 'cork' is removed, more grounded ice is allowed to flow into the ocean, again raising sea levels.

[edit on 1/11/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
sun and warm temps from global warming melt the land bases polar ice, some water runs off into creeks, lakes rivers then into the oceans and some, alot is evaporated and put back into the atmosphere disbursed and forms clouds around the globe, the water will fall as rain and snow, which inturn will cool the globe and we revert to global cooling. And everyone will be screaming for more ozone and green house gas to warm the globe.

Hey look at the brite side this will open up alot of fertile land up north for farming, mining and oil exploration!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join