It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Proposes Plan to Shutdown Guantanamo Bay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Today, President Barack Obama presented a long-awaited plan to shut down the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay. During the President's presentation he insisted that keeping that facility opens is "contrary to our values."

"It's been clear that the detention center at Guantanamo Bay does not advance our national security." Obama said from the Roosevelt Room at the White House.

President Obama stated that “a lot of the American people” are worried about closing Guantanamo Bay and this is part of the reason some in Congress do, and later said that “the fact that I’m no longer running, Joe is no longer running, we’re not on the ballot, it gives us the capacity to not have to worry about the politics.” Naturally this caused a lot of push back from Republicans in Congress.

"President Obama seems to be captured on one matter by one campaign promise he made in 2008," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said on the Senate floor on Tuesday.

Presidential candidate and Ohio Governor John Kasich, who's polling slightly better than Ben Carson, jumped at the opportunity to get on Fox News in hopes that he'll gain a point or two before he has even read the plan.

"These are people, some of them are the worst of the worst. Why would we send them into our country?" Kasich told on Fox News Tuesday. "I profoundly disagree."

Read more at Disinfo.com

Disinfo.com is AboveTopSecret.com's "sister" site dealing with a broad range of issues related to disinformation, misinformation, and missing information in the media; as well as many of the "alternative topics" discussed on ATS. We provide this Disinfo.com article as-is because we believe it will spark additional interesting and valuable discussion here on ATS.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DisinfoCom

Oh! They need a plan.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DisinfoCom

That was about time! Only 8 years late.

Obama's Promise to immediately close Guantanamo

"Immediately".. yea

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Just like everything Obama does, watch for the twist.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I've always assumed that there are a few top secret, underground prison facilities open anyway. Oubliettes and black boxes for the worst of the worst. I'm guessing those just got promised a funding boost.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unresponsible
I've always assumed that there are a few top secret, underground prison facilities open anyway. Oubliettes and black boxes for the worst of the worst. I'm guessing those just got promised a funding boost.

Most likely they are just going to turn the entire US prison system into a giant Gitmo style (extrajudicial) gulag network. I don't think anyone wants to see terrorists running loose but it always seemed to me there was more going on that just terrorist detention. The whole police state thing still seems entirely plausible to me.
edit on 23-2-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

top topics

join