It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Style Pizza: Or How I Learned to Enjoy the Crust

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
A touch of liquid smoke to dough can mimic a wood fired taste. The thing I think really separates the brick oven is the hot and cold spots in the oven... Where one part is super hot and can burn stuff nearly in an instant and the cool spots that can act as a simmer.

Takes a lot of cooking in a particular oven to find them as all ovens have various heat/sweet spots... I do the same with regular ovens noting the element location for even browning when baking

posted on Jan, 27 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid
So go forth and enjoy a slice or two of America's soon-to-be favorite style pizza. You won't be disappointed!

Not thought I'd be reviving a nearly five year old thread, but here we are.

Pizza Hut, from Wichita, KA, and the world's largest pizza chain, is now launching its own Detroit style pizza in an attempt to continue business gains.

At first, I was a bit excited. Livingon Florida's east coast I no longer have access to good, Detroit style pizza. We have Little Caesars here, which will do once a year in a pinch (usually on Halloween), but even living in Garden City, MI, the home city for Little Caesars, I could take it or leave it.

Pizza Hut to launch Detroit-style pizza in bid to advance its turnaround

From this article I did find an interesting quote.

"Detroit-style pizza is the fastest-growing trend in pizza," said David Graves, chief brand officer of Pizza Hut U.S. "It's no longer a Midwest-only thing."

Detroit pizza is only on 0.4% of restaurant menus, according to Datassential, which tracks food and beverage trends. But since 2016, its menu penetration has surged by 150%, with most of its growth occurring last year.

Did I foresee the future of pizza in early 2016?

However, this article below isn't very shocking.

Pizza Hut’s Detroit style is crunchy and cheesy, but one expert says Motor City natives ‘would be offended’

Pizza Hut’s latest concoction similarly “looks like a Detroit pizza — all the cornerstone elements are represented,” Powers says. “But they’re all a little off, so when you put them all together it ends up entirely different.”

His quibbles: The crust wasn’t nearly crisp enough; the cheese on his pizzas didn’t extend to the edges, as promised, and besides which, it wasn’t the classic Wisconsin brick, whose low moisture gives it the feeling of cheese curds, he says, and the sauce’s sweetness marred the whole.

So, I may not be quite as excited to try this pizza. I've never been a big fan of Pizza Hut anyway. I may try it. I may not. Realistically, I see a Little Caesars pizza in my future before trying this concoction.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 06:46 AM
link   
If there was ever a thread worth of necroposting on, it would be one about PIZZA!!

How about Colorado style pizza? There's a place up in Idaho Springs (on the way to the mountains) called Beau Jo's Pizza which started up in the 1970's. They have some awesome pizza. If you can eat one entire slice you're, well, a pig!! Really good stuff though! Used to always go there coming down from the mountains after skiing (back when I still skied). Love that place.

Pies are like a cross between a Detroit and a Chicago pie. They have two different styles. One is called "Mountain Style" which is the cross between the Detroit/Chicago pizza, and the other is called a "Prairie Style" which is more like a NY or what I'd call a traditional style pizza. The Mountain pie in the "Motherlode" configuration is a whopping FIVE POUNDS!!

The pizza is so good you have to be careful you don't explode eating it! That, or fall asleep coming back down the rest of the mountain. That last downhill curve has caught more than a few half asleep drivers stuffed full of pizza off guard.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Beau Jo's does look pretty good. Found a website that allows them to deliver nationally. Two pies for $100. Bit steep, but cheaper than going myself.

For what it's worth, they also have Buddy's available. Three pies for $100.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 07:38 AM
link   

One of the best pizzas I had outside of the NYC area was at Racca's in Casper. Really amazing crust and properly proportioned toppings.

edit on 3-2-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

That's not really a bad price at all considering an XL pizza will set you back $45 bucks even if you dine in.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   

That's kind of what I was figuring from looking at it. Deal is pretty fair for Buddy's too.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Funny thing was I was actually going to make some pizza dough this morning, and Detroit style (grandma pizza) might be one of the only kinds of pies I haven't tried making.

I tend for thinner crusts, mostly so I can eat more and not get as heavy doing so, lol. But deep dish chicago is amazing if you got a good spicy sausage and san marzano sauce!

My favorite thing to do is to find the perfect home made leftovers to make a new creation. My last good creation was a leftover beef birria pizza with pickled jalapenos and queso fresco

dammit im hungry now!

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid
So go forth and enjoy a slice or two of America's soon-to-be favorite style pizza. You won't be disappointed!

Here I am, reviving an old thread nearly a year after my last revival. Just happened to catch my eye as I was walking by. Now available in your local grocery store!

Motor City Pizza Co. hailing from New Boston, MI, has made it all the way down to a Walmart in Florida's Treasure Coast.

Detroit Style Pizza continues its slow march for pizza style world domination.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 07:25 AM
link   

If you ever make it to Rome (or Chicago) you should check out Pizzarium Bonci. He makes a thicker, over proofed style crust with really innovative toppings.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The one in Miami is a bit closer. It's been on my radar.

At the end of the day I'm fairly indiscriminate about enjoying pizza.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Huh, didn't even know he opened one there. My mom just moved to Florida so I'll have to make a stop there for pizza. It's definitely one of the best slices I've had, also try the suppli, which are fried happiness.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I think it opened last fall. I remember seeing it in the news. I'll make sure to try the suppli when we get down that way, probably sometime in the next couple months. Family moving down that way, I'll probably have to make a condowarming appearance.

Funny thing, Miami being Miami. I put in the address from a known point (The Venetian Pool) and ran the directions. Said it was 48 minutes away and then I realized it was on biking still. Switched to car and it went up to 56 minutes. 🤣

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   

LOL. Enjoy.

posted on Apr, 25 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

The Italian neighborhood in Boston has excellent pizza.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join