It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama cracks joke about Scalia death

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
He was being non-PC though, I thought this was a good thing and something Republicans admired?

I'm not a republican. It was just self-serving though.

I think it was just another divisive partisan jab using Scalia's death to make himself look like he is burdened by having to replace him.

And the way he just eats it up when he gets a laugh. Bleh. He likes to see us divided and that always bothers me. He fans the flames every chance he gets.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I need context. It sounds like he was talking to some Governors? If so, I don't interpret it as a joke against Scalia. Sounds like he was talking about typical Executive duties which include appointing judges, and making it seem nonchalant.

Moving on.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I wouldn't say Obama so much as those who wrote his speech here. Sure, Obama was complicit but so is every other politician. They want us talking about this, it's just another thing to distract us from the real issues, just like with Obama not attending Scalia's funeral.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Agreed.Just go to Scalias funeral.Show a modicum of respect.Nobody is saying you have to like him.Say a few words and leave.How hard is this?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I wouldn't say Obama so much as those who wrote his speech here. Sure, Obama was complicit but so is every other politician. They want us talking about this, it's just another thing to distract us from the real issues, just like with Obama not attending Scalia's funeral.

Obama is responsible for the words that come out of his mouth. The topic here was what he said. I know other politicians are bad and say so when the topic is about them -- left and right.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: buckwhizzle

Um. The joke wasn't about Scalia dying per se, but I'm really not surprised when people bash Obama for speaking, breathing, laughing, wearing jeans, etc. I'm sure he's not surprised about it either.

The joke was "getting things done like me, in my last term" + "appointing judges" (paraphrased that) as he has been told that he shouldn't even try because...last term, yeah, that's it, and uh, sure, Reagan did it in his last term but...yeah, not you, 'cause Liberal and Scary and...and...we want to keep the majority conservative on the Supreme Court. Citizen's United RULES!!!

- AB

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
How dare he be so un pc!!! Quick get that pc police yall are always talking about. Or practice what you preach and get over it.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
a reply to: Esoterotica

Well I think he should leave it for the next President to handle. He already appointed one in his term, give the next president a chance to do the same.

It's his job to pick a candidate.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I agree he is responsible for them, but I'm also under the impression that what he says in public is scripted for the most part. Obama knows what he's doing for sure, but I think he is complicit in saying and doing what he's told to say and do. I'm not trying to take the blame off of Obama's shoulders.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Where did you hear it?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Esoterotica

I was laughing too hard from him saying he's spending his last year getting things done for the folks we represent.

Same here. Why didnt you start this 7 years ago....Hil Freakin Larious . That was a much more comical joke.

edit on 22-2-2016 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Psh. All the PC-ness about Scalia is getting old. Can we take off the kid gloves and tell the truth (like people seem to like/think that Trump does)... Scalia was a blight upon this country and we are better off without him. Just because he's dead & gone doesn't mean he should get the respect that he didn't deserve or give others. Shame on all these so-called 'liberals' for trying to praise that dude (Obama included, despite this thread's pathetic attempt to paint him slighting Scalia, which he should be doing a whole lot more).

I'll thank Scalia for his public service and then be real glad that we are burying his radical activism and weak excuses for constitutional abuse by the rich and powerful. The man was responsible for some of the worst decisions in American legal history... Bush vs. Gore, Citizens United, Burwell vs. Hobby Lobby, DC vs. Heller, the Clean Power Plan. Pure radical conservative activism, not constitutional law.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
Psh. All the PC-ness about Scalia is getting old. Can we take off the kid gloves and tell the truth (like people seem to like/think that Trump does)... Scalia was a blight upon this country and we are better off without him. Just because he's dead & gone doesn't mean he should get the respect that he didn't deserve or give others. Shame on all these so-called 'liberals' for trying to praise that dude (Obama included, despite this thread's pathetic attempt to paint him slighting Scalia, which he should be doing a whole lot more).

I'll thank Scalia for his public service and then be real glad that we are burying his radical activism and weak excuses for constitutional abuse by the rich and powerful. The man was responsible for some of the worst decisions in American legal history... Bush vs. Gore, Citizens United, Burwell vs. Hobby Lobby, DC vs. Heller, the Clean Power Plan. Pure radical conservative activism, not constitutional law.

How, I ask you, can one be a Constitutionalist and not be radical? It's a radical document. It was radical when written and it is still pretty radical if it were followed as the authors intended it. Especially that Declaration of Independence with all those rights they claim we're born with (you know, that stupid Natural Law stuff) given to us by our Creator. Who could believe any of that stuff except a radical?
People have rights just because they're breathing air? Why, everyone knows the government gives us our rights, right?
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness indeed. What claptrap! Work, pay taxes, vote and don't complain---those are the duties of good, non-radical citizens.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

The truth about Scalia. Dying doesn't make him right or deserving of respect.

edit on 23-2-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

It is radical to try and act like we live in 1775.

It is a living document, meant to change with times. I doubt the founders would look at today and say we need to live by the way it was written back then. News flash, A LOT of people would have far less rights.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle
This is just plain tacky and other people in the room think it's funny.Ugh.

Cheers for adding a transcript instead of leaving it to another member to add later, no wait...

This is truly a case of you hearing what you want to hear. He didn't even mention Scalia or his death, appointing a new judge is just one of the things he has to do...

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: diggindirt

It is radical to try and act like we live in 1775.

It is a living document, meant to change with times. I doubt the founders would look at today and say we need to live by the way it was written back then. News flash, A LOT of people would have far less rights.

You are misinformed. The US Constitution is a contract between the States, (already established) and the General Government (that which was being formed by the founding documents), a agreement of how the the governance of a free people would be accomplished. The members of the General Government drew up the contract and presented it to the states for approval. They argued, compromised, and hammered out the details of this contract, being careful to divide and restrain the power of government over the people.
Of course they knew it would require adjustments as all contracts do after the passage of time. That's why they put those very strict rules in about how it would be changed.
It is still radical. Radical freedom---why else would we have people risking their very lives to come to our nation and enjoy the benefits of such radical thinking of the part of a bunch of rich, white radicals over 200 years ago.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Bet you been crying for 7 though. You deserve a break

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Glad this stuck in the past turd is over with. Now maybe something can get done. Oh yea conservatives wont have it. Straight sad my man.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
People who hate Obama will take it as a crude, thoughtless statement directed squarely at the late Justice Scalia. Of course, if Obama had said, “Justice Scalia was a giant among giants, and a rare gift to the American system of justice”, the same folks would slam him for that, as well. Haters are gonna hate PERIOD.

I think any reasonable person would interpret Obama’s statement as a dig at the Senate for declaring they will take no action on this issue during his term, which would be unprecedented. We have never gone before for such a length of time with a vacancy on the Supreme Court. To refuse to act on a nominee would obviously be politically motivated and would fly in the face of the Constitution. I personally think the Senate should be called out on this and be forced to answer to the Court of Public Opinion.

Obama’s little dig was nothing in light of the hostile, unAmerican spirit of the Senate. For those who constantly preach about their love of the Constitution, this action (or lack of) makes it quite clear their words ring hollow. I wish the public would come down on the Senate with an 800 pound sledge hammer.

By the way, IMO Scalia was a rotten Justice, through and through. He was clearly politically biased and had a far right leaning agenda. His interpretation of the Constitution was so far skewed as to defy all reason and common sense. When he declared that corporations should have the same rights as people, he sealed his legacy as a failed Constitutional scholar. I’m glad he’s gone; good riddance; he caused enough damage to our political/social system to last a few generations.

Peace...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join