It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Can a Black Hole Get Full?" A Black Hole That Has Stopped Swallowing Stars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I saw this article titled "A Black Hole That Has Stopped Swallowing Stars..." and it makes me wonder...Can a Black Hole ever get full?

At its core rests a supermassive black hole that is about 21 billion times the size of the sun, according to NASA and the European Space Agency.

Though you cannot see it in this image because black holes swallow light, NASA said it was one of the largest star devourers ever observed. It dwarfs the black hole that twists at the center of our Milky Way, which researchers estimate is only four million times the size of the sun. The monster once feasted upon many of its host galaxy’s stars, gas and dust, but is no longer active.

The diameter of its event horizon, or the edge of where light is trapped and cannot escape, measured 80 billion miles, and its intense gravitational grasp was capable of heating material to millions of degrees, according to NASA.

So if a Black Hole can get full what happens then? Do they implode or explode and spew galaxies across the cosmos like an exploding bowl of salad? Was this what happened in the Big Bang? Are Black Holes Galactic recycling centers? What says ATS?

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

No, they do not get "full"

If you go and read the original article located Here you will see the following:

The accretion disc sustained the supermassive black hole’s appetite until the nearby supply of galactic material was exhausted. Now, napping quietly as it waits for its next celestial snack, the supermassive black hole is dormant.

It's not "swallowing" anything else, not because it's "full" but because there is nothing else for it to "swallow" that's near enough.

At some point, more material will get close enough and be pulled towards it and it will "snack" again.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Ah, thanks Erik.

My curiousity about these objects is immense. Are they 3dimensional objects, or simply a rip in space time? If they are objects, are they cold,or hot? I believe some have theorized they are super dense einsteinian-bose condensates.

edit on 22-2-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Ask yourself, how can radiation escape this massive gravitational field ?

You know, Hawking radiation...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen

can you enlighten me as to what you're referring to?

OP - great topic thanks for sharing with your ATS friends

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful
Black Holes do stop pulling in matter every now and then . There has been several observed that have exhibited that behavior . It is theorized that they stop just prior to releasing a huge gamma ray burst just like the one in the center of our galaxy. A large "burp" if you will.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Hawking's entire theory was nullified by a plumber from New Jersey

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Theoretically speaking , the only "substance ?" that exists in a black hole is information and radiation. As matter is pulled in further , the atomic structure is ripped apart . It is ripped apart so far that the only thing remaining of that matter is the "information" that matter actually once existed. I know , confusing much , right ?

Until , at the bottom you have a "singularity" Strange word . Scientific meaning : Singularity , noun, - we dont know what the heck it is (that is from the Gothmog dictionary of scientific terms)
I will leave that to your imagination . Theoretical physicists do too .

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
LOL! thanks for that.

The More mass the more gravity.
and the more pull/gravity on the space around it.
so NO!
at the centre of a galaxy is a black hole.
it Will suck all the galaxy in, eat it.
at one point it will blow up! A Big Bang!

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Theoretically speaking , the only "substance ?" that exists in a black hole is information and radiation. As matter is pulled in further , the atomic structure is ripped apart . It is ripped apart so far that the only thing remaining of that matter is the "information" that matter actually once existed. I know , confusing much , right ?

Until , at the bottom you have a "singularity" Strange word . Scientific meaning : Singularity , noun, - we dont know what the heck it is (that is from the Gothmog dictionary of scientific terms)
I will leave that to your imagination . Theoretical physicists do too .

So, it "IS" a kind-of recycling process that goes on in Black Holes where the information is kept and recycled for new life one day.......?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

So, it "IS" a kind-of recycling process that goes on in Black Holes where the information is kept and recycled for new life one day.......?

As was with the "singularity" that too is above my knowledge and better left up to you. You would now be getting into a realm where few dare to travel. You would be getting into the opposite of a black hole. A white hole.Where just a very few physicists have gone. As I once read somewhere imagine 2 funnels connected by the smaller ends. Now imagine a black hole is where you "pour stuff in" . The other side would be a white hole where the stuff "pours out" . The 2 would be connected by a "wormhole". But the two would be in different universes in the multiverse.

The above is probably not a theory (yet), but a speculation by a few.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
LOL! thanks for that.

The More mass the more gravity.
and the more pull/gravity on the space around it.
so NO!
at the centre of a galaxy is a black hole.
it Will suck all the galaxy in, eat it.
at one point it will blow up! A Big Bang!

You may be right. But that super massive black hole does serve a very beneficial purpose . It keeps the galaxy together. Otherwise, every single component of that galaxy would go flying off willy-nilly into the void.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

As far as we know, the Black Hole will continue to swallow matter (& energy) until the end of the universe.

Although you can't fill up a Black Hole, you can empty it!

At the surface of a black hole is a region called the Swartzchild radius, or Event Horizon. The velocity due to gravitational acceleration at this outer shell (the escape velocity) exceeds the speed of light and at this point, even light can't go fast enough to escape.

So, pretty much everything is retained and nothing gets out. From our external frame of reference, the in-falling matter stops, frozen in time at that point, due to time dilation. From their point of view, they would see all of time pass, till the end of the universe or until their release from the Black Hole by 'black hole evaporation' due to Hawking Radiation. We'll get back to that, later.

With each additional mass, the total mass of the BH increases, marginally pushing the radius of the event horizon outwards. This means that in reality the BH is made of a series of concentric shells going back in time to the birth of the black hole and containing all the information of the matter that has fallen into it over time, all nicely separated from each other, compressed and encoded in the structure of the BH.

This resolves the information paradox in that it appears (falsely) that information is destroyed by a BH.

For most BH's the tidal forces are extreme, even to pulling apart stuff held by the strong nuclear force. No-one would live who fell into a BH as they would get "spahettified", pulled into a long string of subatomic particles. This is less of a problem for super massive BH's because the 'pull' is more gradual being spread over a larger area.

Also the friction and acceleration applied to infalling matter generates massive energy. They get hot. When this energy hits the event horizon, it stops and should lead to an incredibly bright 'firewall'. This has not been observed and so perhaps our understanding is wrong. It definitely caused Hawking to loose a bet or two.

When these subatomic particles reach the event horizon, they get compressed into a thin layer and so would appear as a plane of energy interferences and superpositions, i.e: an energy hologram of what the object was once like.

Now we get to the Hawking Radiation, this happens when virtual particles come into existence near the event horizon. Normally the particles are equal opposites to each other and annihilate back to nothing according to supersymmetry. But near the event horizon, one can get trapped, leaving the other virtual particle to continue to exist. Because they are birthed in a region of incredible energy they are already at a high PE and so, being beyond the point of capture, they can radiate back out into space.

The virtual particle that falls into the event Horizon does get to annihilate with the matter trapped there and so it reduces the trapped mass and decrements the radius of the event horizon by a tiny amount. It "evaporates" the BH.

Also, the energy created on the accretion disk is usually fairly phenomenal. It has been suggested that BH nucleosynthesis in accretion disks may have had a bigger impact upon the creation of heavy elements than stellar nucleosynthesis.

edit on 22/2/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut
No offense , but some of your post is so 20th Century thinking. They have been "modernized" as of late.

edit on 22-2-2016 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Hawking's entire theory was nullified by a plumber from New Jersey

Call him that to his face, I dare you! Lennie would punch your eyes out.

But not totally nullified.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

No offense , but some of your post is so 20th Century thinking. They have been "modernized" as of late.

None taken. None of it really makes much sense, anyway.

I didn't even mention rotation, wormholes, strings and 'P-branes'.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I admit a few , and a very few , still hold on and want to believe as it is Hawking after all , Professor Stephen Hawking is still in my book as one of the best.

And , my "plumber from New Jersey" Susskind would be the first to get a chuckle from that one

Peace

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

God sake, all those 22nd century people must think we're all stupid too, huh?

edit on 22-2-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneGoal
a reply to: Gothmog

God sake, all those 22nd century people must think we're all stupid too, huh?

No , cause they havent found the answers yet , either. You have to move up to the 30th Century for a very few of those

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

As was with the "singularity" that too is above my knowledge and better left up to you. You would now be getting into a realm where few dare to travel. You would be getting into the opposite of a black hole. A white hole.Where just a very few physicists have gone. As I once read somewhere imagine 2 funnels connected by the smaller ends. Now imagine a black hole is where you "pour stuff in" . The other side would be a white hole where the stuff "pours out" . The 2 would be connected by a "wormhole". But the two would be in different universes in the multiverse.

The above is probably not a theory (yet), but a speculation by a few.

edit on 22-2-2016 by lostbook because: word add

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join