It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cthulhu Cult and the Geometrical club ( The OG:s )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
So i was looking into some stuff the other day and saw some weird stuff about a so called geometrical club ( *cough* masons *cough* ) and the Arab, ASian, eastern club of Cthulhu and realized they share a lot of stories... HP Lovecraft wrote the story about the Cthulhu and a lot of other stories like the Necronomicon, or what the hell its called.. Then a poor lost retard named August Derleth, ruined the whole story..

When the creature finally appears, the story says that the "thing cannot be described," but it is called "the green, sticky spawn of the stars", with "flabby claws" and an "awful squid-head with writhing feelers." Johansen's phrase "a mountain walked or stumbled" gives a sense of the creature's scale this is corroborated by Wilcox's dreams, which "touched wildly on a gigantic thing 'miles high' which walked or lumbered about"). Cthulhu is depicted as having a worldwide cult centred in Arabia, with followers in regions as far-flung as Greenland and Louisiana. There are leaders of the cult "in the mountains of China" who are said to be immortal. Cthulhu is described by some of these cultists as the "great priest" of "the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky.

Cause i didnt know Freemasons were into hex and stuff like the, you know like the Egyptian Priests, ( Gypsies ).. But apparently they are..

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You *do* realize H.P. Lovecraft was a xenophobic writer, don't you?

Have you read much about the man, and how his writing developed?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Gypsies are not Egyptians...

Romani don't like to be called gypsies

You don't want to mess with Romani either...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Kantjil

There are a lot of Internet urban legends and Lovecraft's creations are ideally suited for being the objects of them. Lovecraft understood something about human psychology and realized early on that if readers believed there was some truth to the story, some factual basis to it, that it would be far more horrifying than the run-of-the-mill horror tale.

Isn't that the power of urban legends? They're spread by people who swear that it "really happened" (to the girlfriend of the cousin of a friend of a friend). The creative minds of other media have clearly tapped into this same concept whether directly influenced by Lovecraft or not. For example, horror movies that are "based on actual events!" like Tobe Hooper's (Texas Chainsaw Massacre). An even better example might be The Blair Witch which kicked off the found footage genre and also made extensive use of viral marketing. How many people who saw The Fourth Kind and then immediately Googled names from the movie? The Internet makes it possible for individuals to create urban legends that can reach millions of people in a short time — consider Creepypasta creations like Slender Man — or the This Man hoax which is the creation of sociologist and marketer Andrea Natella. Ever heard of the Ningen? This is a modern day mythical cryptid invented by Japanese forum users.

That said, there are always people finding things to believe in. Hell look at all the people who believe the fiction Trump is spinning. People can be easily manipulated because at some point, they'll take over where the manipulator leaves off and delude themselves to the point that they'll fiercely argue that a lie is true. Then there are people who are mentally ill and still others who believe in things like the possibility that belief alone can turn fiction into reality. That's the premise of Candy Man which is based on story by Clive Barker who is IMO the modern king of horror. Another example which is wholly influenced by Lovecraft is the movie In the Mouth of Madness, a work of genius starring Sam Neill.

Sorry to rant but I find this blurring of fiction of reality, particularly when it's intentionally done, is something that I find extremely interesting. Back on the topic of Cthulhu:

1. In the early 70's, there was the publication of what is called the "Simon Necronomicon" that had a whole alleged back story involving this mysterious character "Simon" who showed up one day with a box containing a very old manuscript. Lots of over the years have fallen for this hoax and believe it to be real but most relatively sane people with any serious interest in the occult accept that it's a complete hoax and the prevailing theory is that "Simon" is actually Peter Levanda. However, there are those who despite all evidence to the contrary believe that it's a real ancient grimoire. Any cult of more than a handful of people would likely fall into this category.

2. I've also seen individuals who claim to believe that Lovecraft was basing his writing on dreams that were actually astral projections and that he was unknowingly writing about things that exist... somewhere. This is one I give extra points for creativity.

3. Ever heard of Pastafarianism or The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? This a parody religion whose deity is based on Cthulhu. Parody religions are another thing I find extremely fascinating but keep in mind that the "adherents" are almost exclusively atheists who are elaborately critiquing religion by creating their own ridiculous mythos and ceremony. Other examples would be Church of the SubGenius, Discordianism (Hail Eris!) and some of the "Satanists" out there, notably the Temple of Satan who are next level trolls (then again, there are certainly Christians who believe that this "parody religion" is simply a facade for actual Satanists who are actually trying to do Satan's work while creating plausible deniability).

In conclusion. There's certainly precedent for authors of fiction creating real world religions — Scientology and Mormonism come to mind — but I doubt there are any actual cults worshiping Cthulhu though it's always impossible to rule out the existence of a handful of feckless people believing in anything. Certainly nothing of an appreciable scale.

EDIT to add:

Somewhere in there I should have included something about mass hysteria. Remember Satanic Panic? Ritual abuse cases and false memory nonsense that swept the country and were taken VERY SERIOUSLY at the time even though none of the actual cases ever turned out to be true. That hasn't stopped people from capitalizing on their own wild ritual abuse stories for attention and less often profit. It's also something that lingers to this day and it's not uncommon to see the occasional ritual abuse thread by people who are wholly convinced that there are vast networks of Satanists ritually abusing tens of thousands of children.

Then again.. it only has to happen once right? Then it's based on real events.

edit on 2016-2-22 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
Gypsies are not Egyptians...

Romani don't like to be called gypsies

You don't want to mess with Romani either...

This too!

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

So if i am one, means i dont want to mess with myself

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kantjil

It almost doesn't matter what metaphor, mythology or archetypal system you groove on.

People are so inundated with verbal noise in their minds to such an extent, that they ignore the nonverbal processing of their brain.

Much of the modern interpretation of ancient mythology is flat out misinterpreted across the board, as we aren't very familiar with the originating cultures; and even if we think that we are.. that's still a far cry from having grown up within it say 4000 years ago.

And urban legend is even worse.

Kev

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
i think you could be onto something here where the elite and Cthulhu are directly connected ...

Fictional RPG version of Cthulhu back in the '80s

and todays elite monsters

i think there is a connection somewhere.....

edit on 23-2-2016 by Rapha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Rapha

rofl!!

new topics

top topics

join