It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DRIVING... IN AMURICA!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

One time I was driving through in our convoy and this Iraqi decided that he didn't want to wait while pulled over on the side of the road to pass us, so he just turns off the road, drives over the medium and right into oncoming traffic (at full speed). I was only able to see him drive off the road (since I was the first vehicle in the convoy), but then I hear over the radio, "HOLY #! This guy just got t-boned!"

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The ones who complain about others driving skills are usually the ones you gotta look out for. Don't like driving in America? Take the bus, ride a bike, start walking. Better yet leave the country, as we have more than enough complainers here already.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

All the freedom dispensation went to his head.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
All I can say is try riding a motorcycle. It makes you a better a driver because you realize what asshats most driver's are when you are in a vulnerable position such as being on a motorcycle.

The wanton recklessness and sheer inattentiveness I see on a daily basis here in Chicago would be comical if people's lives weren't being put at risk. I was going to start a VLOG just taping some of the stuff I see people doing.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
California?

Add Miami to that list.

I seen so many things that defy logic:

Making a left turn, from the right turn lane, 3 lanes over, in front of everyone.

Reading a book while driving.

Stopping completely before making a right turn.

Stopping when you have no stop sign. To let the guy with a stop sign go.

And I could go on all day long..

However this is small potatoes compared to russia.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Try driving in Iraq. Is that a pothole or a bomb? No road markings and people aren't opposed to just switching into oncoming traffic if they get backed up in the lane they are in.

Dunno after the sucidal driving I saw on the M25 (london ring road) today I think I would take by chances with a IED

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

I would add - imbeciles who don't know what directional signals are for, and people who don't turn their headlights on, even at dusk, in a torrential downpour or blizzard. My guess is some of them are the same dolts who don't use headlights when it's pitch black out.

I also believe vehicles should be automatically disabled if your insurance lapses, unless you have enough money readily available in a self-insurance account to cover any damages you might cause to another vehicle.

Some F-tard rear ended me the other day after bouncing off of another car (he didn't realize you have to stop at red lights, when all of the cars in front of you have stopped already.) The doomaas was uninsured and caused $650 damage to my vehicle. Who has to pay for the dirtbag's inability to drive? I do. $500 for my deductible, and another $150 my insurance company has to pay. All he gets is a no-insurance ticket. Why is he not charged exactly the same as if he pulled a gun on me and stole the money out of my pocket? In both cases, I was assaulted with a potentially lethal weapon and had my money taken from me.

I don't necessarily think people should be forced to carry car insurance, but I DO think they should be required to IMMEDIATELY pay you for any damage they cause to your vehicle. The brainless wonder had a 2015 vehicle. He should be required to either pay me immediately, or to sell his vehicle and any other assets he may have until he is able to raise the $650 (and the damages for the 1st car he hit as well.)

Ok, breathe, self, breathe...lol. Sorry for ranting in your rant! As you can see, I fully agree with you and then some!

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tuomptonite
The ones who complain about others driving skills are usually the ones you gotta look out for. Don't like driving in America? Take the bus, ride a bike, start walking.

I do all of the above. Never had a license, never taken a test, never operated a vehicle. Skimmed test questions online a bit (IMO, some road rules could stand to be streamlined better) My feet, public transit & bikes over the years have always been sufficient.

What isn't sufficient is the competence of American drivers. They flat out SUCK. As a pedestrian observing the train wrecks behind wheels, I honestly don't believe we put enough emphasis on monitoring your surroundings for drivers. Yeah, it's mentioned, but who takes it seriously? Between the make-up appliers, texters, phone-yakkers, crap-in-the-other-seats diggers, the entertainment panel up front dickerers, it's obvious that "eyes & attention on the road" is just something we say here, not do.
edit on 2/22/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

The ones who complain about others driving skills are usually the ones you gotta look out for. Don't like driving in America? Take the bus, ride a bike, start walking. Better yet leave the country, as we have more than enough complainers here already.

Heh...looks like the OP struck a nerve! The people complaining about people who text swerve, don't use signals, stare into the clouds and read books while driving, etc. aren't the problem. If we're going to boot a certain class of drivers out of the country, how about we boot you and the other bad ones out instead?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I have driven in the US. Once I got over the odd rules and the automatic gearbox, I thought it was quite good. Most drivers were courteous. I even got a smile from a policeman in his car when I jumped some lights! Yep, it's true. I was not shot! My brothers American wife is scared poo-less by the narrow country roads where I live, but they're OK unless you meet a tractor, or some sheep!

Each country has its foibles. Possibly the rudest place I have driven is Singapore, until I was told that it's tradition, and if you drive like them then no one gives a quack. So, I duly beeped my horn, and gesticulated, and barged in and my stress level normalised.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

But just think of all the injury accidents, emergency response, medical bills, insurance settlements, car repair, roadwork, etc.
Watch out America, my mom (a stroke victim) is incessant about getting her license back. She doesn't care if she wrecks or injures someone else as long as she gets to drive again. I can't believe they have her scheduled for a driving test at the end of the month. Crossing both fingers behind my back.

Hahahaha....

I loved that movie The Fifth Element, and I also love that particular scene played by Gary Oldman.

Well, that may be a problem in the long run, I mean, I don't mean any disrespect but sometimes older folks just need more love from siblings, families, children or grandchildren to help them out. If no other choices, Uber and Taxi should give special discounts to seniors.

How many times we hear older drivers accidentally kill people because they've mistaken the brake panel with the gas one?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I found that a beautifully written rant and had a good laugh!

Here in Europe, the drivers you are describing seem to mostly be driving Mercedes. Even if you see one of them doing something stupid out of the corner of your eye, where you can't make out the make of the car, you still know it's a Mercedes.

soulwaxer

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Drive it like you stole it. I had a bad driving day the other day..........real bad. But I lived through it and am here typing. Nobody got hurt.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I forget what company put out the commercial where they were passing off their car as a sporty car, a racing car. The commercial went Zoom Zoom Zoom and showed these cars zipping around in traffic like they were in the Daytona 500.
So who do we think bought these cars off of those commercials. People who wanted to be like the race care drivers, zoom zoom zoom indeed.

Driving is not an individual experience. It is an experience in social responsibility, in social cohesion. How we interact with other people on the road is, to my mind, how we interact with people in general. Do we drive around as if we are the only ones on the road and anyone who gets in our way is part of a challenge to get around? Like a car race video game?

No. The roads are filled with grandmas and young teens and sightseers and people from other places who do not know their way around that particular freeway or town street. People who are looking for a road sign. These are people who are on the road. The roads are not for the zoom zoomers alone. The zoomers need to reign in thier desire to drive fast and learn to be more cautious of those who do not have their fantastic ability to have eyes in the back of theirs heads.

I agree that the fines should be increased, get it back the the 'privilage' state it once was and away from the 'right' that so many believe it to be.

Absolutely.

We share this social responsibility I agree, however, it doesn't change the fact that certain people just can't drive but they still have a license and own a vehicle non the less.

In your book, is it ok to text and drive at the same time? Or putting on mascara while you're driving? May as well drive blindfolded no?

I'm not attacking every single slow driver and I'm certainly not a Zoom Zoomer myself, so I'm really speaking about the folks who's lacking an ability, certainly not everyone.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

Abolish speedlimits. Problem(s) fixed.

Makes everyone pay attention... or die.

Yup, love Germany and their Autobahn...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: intrptr

My husband has had 3 strokes and has a medical restriction on his driver's license.
I have followed behind him in my car and his driving was okay.He stayed in his lane,
signaled and stopped when he was suppose to and I feel comfortable driving with
him as a passenger.
I think it depends on the severity of the strokes and what kind of driver you were
before them.

I wasn't talking about people such as your husband and I hope he is ok.

I'm more fed up with all the folks that intentionally drive bad or simply don't have the mental capability of handling a certain amount of speed and obstacles or what not.

I'll give you an example.

I don't need everyone to go Zoom Zoom past me.

However, I will get in a road rage mode, if you know you can't drive fast or drive well, but stick yourself into the fastest lane and just do 45 mph there while the speed limit is say.. 65.

You see tons of those on the California highway, where the lane adjacent to the Car Pool lane is always designated for the faster drivers, then all of a sudden you see an idiot just doing 40 mph there while the entire lane starts to pile up behind them. Forcefully causing other drivers to radically switch lanes to avoid the road block, causing even more potential accidents.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78

originally posted by: and14263

Asians as in Chinese, Indian etc?

Odd sentence you use right there.

Wow are you looking for a bone to pic today!

I agree with the OP, assuming the simulator they come up with simulates actual road conditions. Right off the bat I can see this being biased towards the generations younger than myself who are gamers. They are going to ace the simulator yet may choke completely in real situations.

While I'm sympathetic to the original rant let me just say, you don't know the circumstances of other drivers. Personally I slow down MORE in drizzle since that's just enough moisture to lubricate the asphalt with the grease & oil residue on it and actually more Iffy than a flat out downpour which quickly washes it away. Bikers will tell you it's a concern, on two wheels you become a little more aware of these things.

There's no excuse for texting an driving or make-up applications grrrrr!

However again not knowing the other driver who's pissing me off I look for clues. Handicap plate? Veteran of foreign war plate? People under the influence of drugs are also known to drive slower an I really don't need a piece of that crap.

Myself I am disabled, so I try not to drive during peak times if I can avoid it. I don't expect others to understand I need to be more cautious. It grinds my bacon more than yours! I used to be quite the lead-foot and it blows that things have changed.

Judging from the way you put it, I'm guessing that we won't have a problem with each other on the road.

The more you read my OP, the more you should realize that I am not targeting the folks who are "Self Aware" so to speak.

Again, if you know you're bad at something, that's fine, just take it easy and be courteous to others.

Same example, on a 65 mph highway, the most inner lane is almost always car pool and the lane adjacent to that is meant for folks who wants to drive a bit faster.

In your situation, I would just slowly signal myself to the slowest lane on my right and start doing 50 mph along with all the trucks. I don't want to intentionally bother or create a problem for others but again, we certainly can't expect everyone to think the same.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Woke up on the wrong side of bed or something?

Sensing a lot of repressed anger here. Maybe you should create another rant thread so that you can let some of the steam off.

Did you even pay attention to anything I wrote?

What does text while driving and makeup while driving has anything to do with driving skills?

Besides, if you truly lack the necessary skills to drive, shouldn't YOU take the bus, ride a bike or maybe .. walk?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

I would add - imbeciles who don't know what directional signals are for, and people who don't turn their headlights on, even at dusk, in a torrential downpour or blizzard. My guess is some of them are the same dolts who don't use headlights when it's pitch black out.

I also believe vehicles should be automatically disabled if your insurance lapses, unless you have enough money readily available in a self-insurance account to cover any damages you might cause to another vehicle.

Some F-tard rear ended me the other day after bouncing off of another car (he didn't realize you have to stop at red lights, when all of the cars in front of you have stopped already.) The doomaas was uninsured and caused $650 damage to my vehicle. Who has to pay for the dirtbag's inability to drive? I do. $500 for my deductible, and another $150 my insurance company has to pay. All he gets is a no-insurance ticket. Why is he not charged exactly the same as if he pulled a gun on me and stole the money out of my pocket? In both cases, I was assaulted with a potentially lethal weapon and had my money taken from me.

I don't necessarily think people should be forced to carry car insurance, but I DO think they should be required to IMMEDIATELY pay you for any damage they cause to your vehicle. The brainless wonder had a 2015 vehicle. He should be required to either pay me immediately, or to sell his vehicle and any other assets he may have until he is able to raise the $650 (and the damages for the 1st car he hit as well.)

Ok, breathe, self, breathe...lol. Sorry for ranting in your rant! As you can see, I fully agree with you and then some!

Hear hear, brother.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

Heh...looks like the OP struck a nerve! The people complaining about people who text swerve, don't use signals, stare into the clouds and read books while driving, etc. aren't the problem. If we're going to boot a certain class of drivers out of the country, how about we boot you and the other bad ones out instead?

Heh. Looks like your nerve might have been struck. So, how did you come to the conclusion that I'm a bad driver? Been a licensed driver nearly 23 years and the only blemish on my driving record is a speeding ticket in Texas 5 years ago. (5 mph over, btw) I drove a huge box truck through the city of San Francisco and all over the Peninsula for over 7 years without a single incident. I'm dang near a professional driver. I safely and efficiently traverse all over California freeways on a regular basis without incident. Sure, I see plenty of distracted drivers, frequently. That's why a skilled driver always drives defensively and anticipates stupidity. If youre a good driver, others shouldn't bother you all that much. If other drivers affect your driving experience badly enough to rant about it, perhaps you should look in the mirror and review your own driving skills. Good luck booting this all American boy out of the country, btw. People like myself are the pillars upon which this great country was built. Keep complaining though and let me know how that works out for you.

edit on 22-2-2016 by Tuomptonite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join