It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DRIVING... IN AMURICA!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It's 2016, DMV should have a simulation driving machine in there, instead of using the traditional routes for a driving test.

People obviously can't drive in this country.

Every morning, afternoon, evening, I see these:

1. People text and drive, swirling around and slowing down the entire lane

2. People do their make up while driving, causing the same problems

3. People just simply do not know how to drive, so they "Play It Safe" by doing 45 mph on a 65 mph road

4. People driving 60 mph in the lane adjacent to the car pool lane, which by all means, is designated for people who want to drive faster and do 80 mph and above

5. People slowing down when it's just #ing sprinkling rain, acting as if it's the great flood of something

SNIP

Sometimes it makes me wonder, all these giant car manufacturers intentionally wanting to sell their product to everyone in the U.S. so they make more money. So they lobby the crap out of traffic laws, making sure that it's super easy to pass a driving test, so EVERYONE can operate a vehicle they make.

This is totally wrong. Some people, don't deserve to be behind a wheel. Not only are they a danger to society, they simply do not have the ability nor mental capacity to drive properly.

What they should do, is create a simulation machine, similar to the military combat training machines or sports team super trainer computer simulations, where the driver is pit against many different scenarios, if you don't get an overall 70% score on it, you will never touch a wheel of a car.

But then again, one can only hope right? The chances of that happening is 0, because all these huge automakers would just lobby the # out of it like within 24 hours... because they're too big to fail yeah?

Sorry about the rant, I just can't take it anymore and have to find some place to vent. It's just beyond ridiculous how people are driving here in Southern California.

Maybe we should just create more or heavier fines when it comes to people who are stupid. Texting and driving? Makeup and driving? $2,500 fine and 30 days community service, no way to go around it.

Doing 45 mph on a 65 mph highway? $1,500 fine and strike one, by strike three your license is revoked until you can prove yourself to be a better driver.

Yeah, it's drastic, but certainly needed.

edit on 2/22/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Driving anywhere sucks. America is not special in this regard.

Try walking.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
But just think of all the injury accidents, emergency response, medical bills, insurance settlements, car repair, roadwork, etc.
Watch out America, my mom (a stroke victim) is incessant about getting her license back. She doesn't care if she wrecks or injures someone else as long as she gets to drive again. I can't believe they have her scheduled for a driving test at the end of the month. Crossing both fingers behind my back.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

I forget what company put out the commercial where they were passing off their car as a sporty car, a racing car. The commercial went Zoom Zoom Zoom and showed these cars zipping around in traffic like they were in the Daytona 500.
So who do we think bought these cars off of those commercials. People who wanted to be like the race care drivers, zoom zoom zoom indeed.

Driving is not an individual experience. It is an experience in social responsibility, in social cohesion. How we interact with other people on the road is, to my mind, how we interact with people in general. Do we drive around as if we are the only ones on the road and anyone who gets in our way is part of a challenge to get around? Like a car race video game?

No. The roads are filled with grandmas and young teens and sightseers and people from other places who do not know their way around that particular freeway or town street. People who are looking for a road sign. These are people who are on the road. The roads are not for the zoom zoomers alone. The zoomers need to reign in thier desire to drive fast and learn to be more cautious of those who do not have their fantastic ability to have eyes in the back of theirs heads.

I agree that the fines should be increased, get it back the the 'privilage' state it once was and away from the 'right' that so many believe it to be.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I'm sure the great people of California are thankful your not driving right now.

And how in world would it help to simulate texting and driving, make up and driving?
Think about that for a few moments.

For the record:
I hate sorry @$$ drivers as well...
Everywhere.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
You forget one type of drivers in your list obviously.

- People who will always blame others for stupid driving tactics while no blame is upon themselves.

I know lots and lots of those actually

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: truthseeker84
5. People slowing down when it's just #ing sprinkling rain, acting as if it's the great flood of something

To be honest, there is a reason people do this. Slowing down when it is sprinkling raining is a good idea. This is because oils and runoff from vehicles driving on the road build up on the roadways. With a little bit of water, it makes the roads especially slick and they can actually end up being more slippery when slightly wet than when completely wet.

ADVERSE CONDITIONS

The first 10 minutes after light rain begins are the most dangerous

1. The rain mixes with oil from motor vehicles and oil from new asphalt
2. The result is a slippery roadway
3. If it rains hard and long enough, the rain washes off the oil and the slippery conditions are reduced

SNIP
edit on 2/22/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: Removed quoted content

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Abolish speedlimits. Problem(s) fixed.

Makes everyone pay attention... or die.

edit on 22-2-2016 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2016 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: truthseeker84

What they should do, is create a simulation machine, similar to the military combat training machines or sports team super trainer computer simulations, where the driver is pit against many different scenarios, if you don't get an overall 70% score on it, you will never touch a wheel of a car.

The trucking industry has been using them for a few years now.

fleetowner.com...

Let Google lead the charge on this option since they have the muscle: Designate every car made that is outfitted to have a driver behind the controls a commercial vehicle that a driver would need a commercial license to operate. The Google self-driving cars would be designated a personal vehicle that only requires the standard license.

Trust me.....people would go along with it because people love their cars.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

My husband has had 3 strokes and has a medical restriction on his driver's license.
I have followed behind him in my car and his driving was okay.He stayed in his lane,
signaled and stopped when he was suppose to and I feel comfortable driving with
him as a passenger.
I think it depends on the severity of the strokes and what kind of driver you were
before them.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass
You forget one type of drivers in your list obviously.

- People who will always blame others for stupid driving tactics while no blame is upon themselves.

I know lots and lots of those actually

Me too. I know a guy where everyone going slower than him is going too damn slow and everyone going faster than him is riding his ass and being aggressive (never mind that he is already driving 10 mph over the speed limit at least). It's always funny to me to watch him get all bent out of shape over things he could avoid if he'd just drive a bit more defensively.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Yeah, yeah, Muerica is bad. heard it all before. Now compare death statistics and accidents. Europe is marginally "better" than the US--not by much. You want to REALLY complain about driving? Try Egypt, Turkey, India, China, or Greece. Then come back here and realize the safe haven that you drive in. Without comparison to the rest of the world, your complaints are basically meaningless. I'll take driving here, Canada, and Europe ANY day over the rest of the world.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Wow are you looking for a bone to pic today!

I agree with the OP, assuming the simulator they come up with simulates actual road conditions. Right off the bat I can see this being biased towards the generations younger than myself who are gamers. They are going to ace the simulator yet may choke completely in real situations.

While I'm sympathetic to the original rant let me just say, you don't know the circumstances of other drivers. Personally I slow down MORE in drizzle since that's just enough moisture to lubricate the asphalt with the grease & oil residue on it and actually more Iffy than a flat out downpour which quickly washes it away. Bikers will tell you it's a concern, on two wheels you become a little more aware of these things.

There's no excuse for texting an driving or make-up applications grrrrr!

However again not knowing the other driver who's pissing me off I look for clues. Handicap plate? Veteran of foreign war plate? People under the influence of drugs are also known to drive slower an I really don't need a piece of that crap.

Myself I am disabled, so I try not to drive during peak times if I can avoid it. I don't expect others to understand I need to be more cautious. It grinds my bacon more than yours! I used to be quite the lead-foot and it blows that things have changed.
edit on Mon Feb 22 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

You haven't experienced anything until you experience UK rush hour traffic. .......

edit on 22-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I've been driving for nearly 20 years here in the UK and I really enjoy it. I've also driven in quite a few foreign countries and I would honestly say my experience (albeit only a 4 day trip to California) was pleasant and stress-free on the roads.

Friends who have visited America say the same thing.

Try driving around some European cities if you want to see some crazy driving. For sheer excitement and terror I recommend East Asia. I've not been to India but that's looks quite interesting from what I've seen on TV.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Driving in New York City is a joy compared to driving in Rome.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Try driving in Iraq. Is that a pothole or a bomb? No road markings and people aren't opposed to just switching into oncoming traffic if they get backed up in the lane they are in.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Try driving in Iraq.

You know, I think I am going to pass on that one. Even with an Abrams.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join