It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shadow people and sleep paralysis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicSmack
a reply to: dug88

Yea its deff not a good feeling, sounds like the home you where living in was the cause, or maybe your engery has gotten better b/c of you girlfriend.

I think it might be a bit of both honestly. My mom passed away from cancer when i was 17 and most of the time growing up she was sick. It happened the most to me, from what I remember, during the time between her being diagnosed to a couple of years after she passed. It would still happen after I moved into ny dad's place permanently for a few years. It wasn't untilafter I moved out of there that my state of mind started improving.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

a reply to: sparky31

yea i kind of miss the experience i want to study them lol. i encountered an entity once during an OBE while mediating ill do a separate threat about that soon.
i actually miss it,at least once a week it was happening and the gf was waking me up cause i was freaking out in my sleep,the typicall someone coming into the room,sitting on the chest and having the feeling of rising up,in my head tho it was an old woman who was in my presence,as i say tho it was actually becoming such a regular occurrence that when it was happening i knew what was going on and it no longer freaked me out so i could actually control it and in my head i was saying i know your not real so do as you please and it was like it stopped,i have absolutley no explanation for it whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

a reply to: Night Star

My theory is inter-dimensional entities who eat fear, they target people who have trauma at a young age. I also believe they some times target the spiritedly strong and try to discourage people who try to get out of their body, but i guess no one really knows.

Interesting. Thank you! I know a guy who has seen the shadow people and that makes sense.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Sound right you were feeling bad and for it was the equivalent of all you can eat buffet.

I am sorry for your loss

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: sparky31

the old woman is a thing that is related to it called the old hag. i think i had an experience as a very young athough the details are fuzzy now so im not sure.

you stopped fearing it, so you stopped feeding it, and it moved to weaker prey. it also be all in your (our) head, but the fact that so many people have experience such similar things makes me doubt that.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
here is an old cost to cost that talks about shadow people

www.youtube.com...

I just wanted to say this too as i am getting way more replies then i expected. I invite anyone to send me a private message regarding the subject any time, if you are experiences this phenomena right now, i differently want to hear about it in as much detail as you can.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hello,

I have experienced sleep paralysis more than once. Less than 20 times, but 2 stick out from my memory because of the "shadow beings". They aren't people, not by any means. I am 38 years old with a wife and children, I also own my own business (hvac contractor). I consider myself well rounded.

Experience 1 - I was around 15 years old. I was sleeping across the street from my mom's house in a home that was being constructed due to being a complete screwup kid who thought he knew everything and respected nothing. All the walls were up but there was nothing inside, just drywall. At around 9 am after I knew everyone was gone I went into my moms house to shower/eat/change clothes. It was a weekday but by this time I was cutting school regularly. For whatever reason after food/shower I became tired and laid down on the living room floor. This wasn't a common thing for me but this is what I did on this day.

What I remember, and I remember it clearly, was an instant shock of fear. Paralyzing fear. I could not move but my eyes were wide open and I was looking around my house as clear as if I were awake, but somehow I knew I wasn't. I remember the details, the trophy's on the fireplace, the clock on the wall and the hands moving and showing the time it should have been, I remember all of this with extreme vivid detail, I can never forget.

What I remember most however was after the initial shock of fear and panic, at some point, I noticed the "shadow being's" on top of my body. Gulliver's Travels, do you remember that movie? It can be described like that minus the ropes holding me down. It was just the "shadow beings" themselves. They weren't shadow people, they were more like shadow demons. They had a menacing shape like little demons and there were like 2 to 3 on each leg, couple on my chest, and I don't remember noticing any on my arms but my whole person was constricted.

Now at this point in my life I no longer see religion in the same way I did then. Now I believe that I was duped into christianity through no choice of my own and now here I am, with the seed deeply implanted that if I don't believe I'm going to hell. Well, I could have been born in Mid East and I'd have different beliefs through no choice of my own.....It's all bull#. But......I remember saying "in the name of jesus christ I rebuke you", I said this over and over (maybe 5 times) each time gaining more and more will over myself and finally broke free.

Experience 2 - Within months of my first encounter with the "shadow beings" I had my second. Same setup but this time I was back living with my mother.

When I awoke this time I knew to be afraid. I didn't become scared when I realized my movement was restricted, I became scared the second I became aware. Once again I was asleep but awake at the same time, fully awake and aware yet completely asleep. This time I couldn't really look around, It was night, so it was dark in my bedroom, but I sensed something directly above me, almost against my chest. I heard someone say "shhhhh" but it was harsh and forceful, my initial thought went to my mom, I thought she was trying to wake me up or something but in an instant I realized it wasn't and I became more terrified than I ever have in my entire life. Once again I reached into whatever survival skills I had and said the first thing that came to mind...."in the name of jesus christ I rebuke you", I did this over and over again and was able to break free.

As I said earlier I am now 38 years old and I never saw those "shadow beings" again. I have had incidents of sleep paralysis but never with the "shadow beings", one time my wife who I love dearly had her arm against my neck and was holding me down restricting me in my awakened sleep state.....I guess this would be considered a dream, or maybe my mind was able to produce an image it would, but I know the difference between dreaming and sleep paralysis.

I am an avid lucid dreamer and have experienced a lot of stuff that I don't really know how to make sense of it. If anyone else has strong lucid dreams in which very strange incidents happen please send me a message.

Thanks to everybody for reading and it was nice to finally contribute something of value here.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicSmack never heard of that saying but just looked it up so thanx i,m going to have a read up on it and see what it says.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
apparently this is scientists therories on it.

"Episodes of paralysis can occur when the body is in any position, but happen most frequently when the sleeper is lying flat on his or her back. Intense fear is common, but sometimes other strong emotions, such as sadness or anger, are present," says Florence Cardinal in "The Terror of Sleep Paralysis."

For some, sleep paralysis is often brought about by not getting enough sleep or being overtired. Likewise, disrupted sleep schedules or circadian rhythm disturbances can produce an episode of sleep paralysis.

It is more common in people who suffer from severe anxiety or bipolar disorder. Some research shows that sleep paralysis is five times more likely to occur with people who are taking such anti-anxiety drugs as Xamax or Valium.

A study found that 35 percent of subjects with isolated sleep paralysis also report a history of wake panic attacks unrelated to the experience of paralysis.

i don,t think i fall into any of these categories,maybe they can make up a new one just for me.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I don`t normally comment on some of the more stranger events that have happened to me, but sleep paralysis was one of the more bizarre and sinister, for want of a better word, incidents i have experienced. I really don`t know what causes it and don`t wether i want to either but the main thing to me, was what happened immeadiately before the SP.

I was going to sleep one night around 8 years ago. I used to sleep on a matress on the floor. I had left the landing/stair light on. I was lay on my back with my hands on ma chest. As i was drifting off i felt a gentle pull on my left leg. Nothing severe, just enough to wake me. I looked at the bedroom door, nothing, stair light still on, so i put it down to a muscle spasm, resettled maself.

No one else was in the house btw.

So am drifting off to sleep again, well was actually asleep when it felt like something grabbed my ankle and pulled my leg again only this time more severe, actually pulling the left side of me a couple of inches down the matress. I woke up, looked around, nothing. At this point I wasn`t scared I was just peed off and confused, not really bothering because i was half asleep.

As i went back to sleep for a third time i felt a very forceful yank of my leg which woke me with a start. I was angry at first and went to get up, but I couldn`t. I couldn`t move except for my eyes. I looked at the bedroom door into the stairs, no one. I tried again to get up but it was as if something, extremely strong was pinning me down by ma chest. I then felt as if I was been forced down into the matress and even though i could see there was no one there, it felt like someone was in my room. I really thought am going to be sinking through the floor in a minute and was panicking. There was a horrible feeling in ma room. Then it just stopped. Everything felt normal again. I really, really could not fathom in my head what had happened and actually got up grabbed my bat and went on a mad wonder of the house, convinced it must be burglers or something (i was still half asleep, it made sense at the time). After finding no one in ma house i went back to my bedroom and went to sleep on my side. I have never slept on my back since. The only time i have was in my new home a couple of years ago and as i was drifting off, i felt that strange pushing/crushing feeling on my chest and felt like i was been pushed into my matress again. This time i knew what it was straight away and thought, fk that, this isn`t happening again and luckily jerked forward and that was it.

I honestly do not know what caused it. I don`t buy that `it`s ur body not letting you move to stop you acting out your dream` stuff, but the alternatives are pretty scary and it doesn`t explain why 3 times it felt as if someone was grabbing my ankle. Like I say it was not a nice experience and needless to say i never sleep on my back at all anymore, even if ma son is crying cos he`s poorly or scared and wants to sleep in my bed next to me (something i do wish he would stop as he`s 32 now.
i jest, he`s 3).

So, like i say, I never actually saw anyone or any shadow person but it did feel that something very malevolent was in the room while it was happening. Anyway that was my experience with SP and i honestly haven`t a clue why it happens. Good OP and I hope this thread gets some good theories on what the cause of it might be.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I was being pulled out of my body when I had sleep paralysis by these two muscular black/dark beings that had no faces. At one time I willed myself to transform into a Praying Mantis monster of a kind and and ate one of them, after which the attacks stopped - I will eat the second guy too if I can get a hold of him. In other words; fight back.

-MM

edit on 22-2-2016 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2016 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
For me it happened more so when I was a kid.
I would often wake up. My room would feel like any light has been sucked from it.
It felt like I was being held down. Sometimes I could more my legs, and it felt like someone was holding my arms down, or sitting on my chest. Other times I couldn't move my entire body.
Sometimes my room wasn't as dark and I would be sure I could see someone standing at the end of my bed.

As a teenager it felt even more intense. sometimes I would wake up to my entire bed shaking. Id be unable to move my body.

As an adult I did researched into it and just decided it was sleep paralysis. I still get it occasionally and its terrifying every time.

I never really encounted any other form of paranormal activity. And Im mostly undecided on the existence of ghosts

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: IvyNeptune

As a teenager it felt even more intense. sometimes I would wake up to my entire bed shaking. Id be unable to move my body.

I never really encounted any other form of paranormal activity. And Im mostly undecided on the existence of ghosts

My little sister says that happens to her, the bed shaking stuff, but she just dismisses it to traffic on a main road. The main road is about half a mile away btw. Love her to explain more.

And i don`t think the existence of ghosts has much to do with sleep paralysis to be honest.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I get a similar thing happen to me every now and then. For me I don't see entities but I certainly hear them. I awake to find my body parylised (weirdly my right hand is normally moving slowly of its own accord).

I have rushes of what can only be described as spiritual electrical energy through my body which gets more intense. As it builds and rushes more towards my head I can hear this static like sound buzz which sometimes sounds like a radio being tuned in right by my ear...

The more frightening episodes are when the 'radio' tunes in clearly to something speaking right in my earhole...laughing demonicly...speaking in tounges...sometimes weird poetry...there is always a sense of dread..of evil that I can't describe.

I have only ever had my eyes open once with these experiences oddly enough...and although I didn't see anyone...the room was very dark...darker than I've ever seen it...just about being able to make out drawers and wardrobe etc and when it lifted the darkness just lifted like someone opened the curtains.

I find it happens more when I'm overtired, not been getting much sleep, stressed out, emotional etc. but as I say it only happens every 6 months or so thankfully.

Fascinating and horrendously creepy at the same time.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Haha! it looked like the JVC one, without the base, and with wings.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CosmicSmack

I started off, as a kid, being scared of the night terrors; it got to the point where going to bed would raise anxiety. Later on, something switched and I'd rage at the phantasms and want to murder them with furious violence. These internal rages would leave me soaked in sweat and heart-rate maxing out and yet the occurrences lost their frequency. Later still, I read some of the clinical research and feel, mostly,* satisfied that they are episodes in sleep paralysis and probably represent a constellation of sleep-related issues.

Now and then, I still get them and as recently as last year had my first *pure* Old Hag experience. It was trippy and very realistic. A time prior to that and I woke to see a full skeleton in cloak dude (like a statue) at the foot of the bed. As the rage was rising, I noticed small lights all around the figure and realised that they were small candles in alcoves against a total blackness. The rage kicked in and I lurched towards the smiling figure. It receded into nothing and I lay awake dissecting the experience.

What I'm trying to say is (in my experience) they are imaginary apparitions that might arise from psychological places that are prehistoric. These things touch the hot buttons of existential fear that animals in snares feel or a mammoth in a tar pit. You know what I mean there? These are the places where primordial terror lives.

*That doesn't mean there aren't times when I lie and wonder about the possible existence of shadowy, parasitic critters. The empirical side of our reality-filters is often in direct conflict with the rational part of them.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
My son who is now nearly thirty years old has had terrifying sleep paralysis since about age fourteen. Two things he has identified as being connected, for himself, are consumption of alcohol and sleep apnea. Not necessarily both on same night. He has consumed alcohol since about age 18 and maybe a couple times a week. Has had sleep apnea all his life and still has tonsils. They got infected frequently as a kid but doctors refused to remove them when I bugged them to do it.

He has described it as a demonic experience, his girlfriend says he does not struggle while it is happening. He has told me about voices he hears while the paralysis is taking place and the hateful things they say. He has described himself as trying to awaken his g/f and in his paralysis state, she will become one of the evil entities he feels in the room with him, in reality he never tries to wake her. He has seen shadow people and what he calls "hideous beings" that want to torture and kill him.

Another noteworthy thing he says is, he perceives the room he is sleeping in as the same room, but that many times the room is in "reverse" meaning items such as furniture are placed opposite of where items are in reality when awake. He has no mental illness.

Just thought I'd toss a couple of things out there we've noticed. It's always been an interesting subject for me. I've never experienced it and don't want to, just would like to see my son stop struggling with it.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CosmicSmack

I have had some terrifying sleep paralysis episodes. I have related my most terrifying on this site. On these occasions I have asked my wife, when she hears me groaning, (all I can do) to push me out of the bed.

My last encounter, about a month ago, I woke up with an entity, on top of me, pushing the blankets over my face. All I can do is force myself to scream but in a low loud tone. I did this and I recall my wife waking up and pushing me. This was enough to snap me out of it.

Happened about a month ago. I am approaching 60 and I'm sick of this happening.

The entity was a dark small person on my chest but weighed a lot. I couldn't fight it. I was paralised.

May have been a dream but it sure feels real.

Kinds regards,

Bally.
edit on 23-2-2016 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I saw a black triangle UFO whenI was a kid and then again as an adult with my spouse. I never realized how many other people had seen the same thing till one day I randomly looked it up online.

The same goes for sleep paralysis. I have had three major incidences that finally led me to research the frightening phenomena.

I am apparently very normal seeing the exact same things, in the same way, as so many other people.

And yet, my experiences, while documented in a million people's lives, are barely understood. They have labels but no explanation.

Anyone else seen her in your sleep?
en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I already posted my story on an old thread, but maybe it will help someone here as well.

My story is a strange one, I have difficulty believing it myself, please react respectfully.
I do not use drugs or medications, rarely drink alcohol (and did not in these instances) and I do not suffer from any mental disorder nor am I in desperate need of attention.
I have had three encounters with different kinds of shadow people combined with sleep paralysis several years ago.

Encounter 1:
I was asked to volunteer as long-distance-patient for a 'healing' course (I was more than an hour by car removed from them). Being an interested sceptic, I agreed.
At the appointed time (between 19.30-19.45 h) I made sure I was in my bedroom, on the bed, on my back. This was not required, but it would help if I wanted to try and notice if I could feel anything.
Suddenly there was a loud buzzing in my head and it felt as if something heavy was on my chest and I could not move. Then, out of the upper north-east corner of the room, eight shadows flew towards me. Three came standing on each side of me (as if the bed was not there) one at my head and one at my feet.
I tried not to panic as I figured it had to be that group of healers. I could hear my husband and children in the bathroom nearby but decided not to try and call him as I did not want to 'break the spell'.
When they were finished, they flew back into the corner and were gone, so was the noise in my head and the weight on my chest.
I looked at the alarm and noticed the 15 minutes were not fully passed yet, so I decided to stay on the bed.
The noise and the weight came back, one shadow appeared from the same corner and flew towards me. This time it hovered closely above me, I would say that our noses almost touched but there was no face, only solid shadow. It was large (not only tall), more than 6 foot at least. After what felt like a scan, it flew back to the corner and it was gone.
I had felt not only what they were doing, but also their intentions, their emotions/state of mind, and even their hierarchical structure.

1. They looked like shadow people, and knowing that these shadows were not entities in themselves but only 'consciousnesses' (I don't know if this is an existing word) or maybe their spirits, may help indicate what the shadow people are.
2. This prompted the other two kinds of events.

Encounter 2:
This is the creepy part I have never told anyone about, except for my husband.
The nights after the healing, either when falling asleep or early in the morning just before waking up, I was frequently visited by two different shadow beings. Every visit would be preceded and accompanied by the noise in my head and the weight on my chest.

One of the beings would be at my feet, it felt as husband-energy, as if it was radiating this energy towards me to not alarm me (like you would softly shush a baby although it did so without sound) but it felt fake. It would then try to enter my body from my feet up and even as if having sex. (please believe me, I know this sounds fake but I can only wish it was.)
It was just standing there, smirking, it has no face but that is how I sensed it. Trying to sooth me and it knew I did not believe it and tried to fight it, but it just patiently waited for me to drop my guard.
My husband could not see it but he did get goosebumps, sometimes even before I could see it.

The other one came beside me and would simply demand (it talked to me inside my head) access to my body. I managed to fight that one of every time as well, but as the first one became more cunning every time, this one became more angry. At one point it even managed to spin me around in my bed. (I think this was my astral body and not my physical body, as I noticed later on that the sheets were not as messed up as they should have been).

I became afraid to go to sleep. Help was not able to come earlier than two weeks from then.
We moved our mattress to the furthest part of the house, the kitchen.
Still they did not leave us alone, however, they did feel less strong. We had the lights on and even the radio. At one time I heard xylophone music in my head I had never heard before and within a few minutes that same song came on the radio, creepy!

One night the angry shadow was bullying me again and I don’t know why but suddenly I started laughing, I just felt it was all so ridiculous, me curled up in bed saying: "no, no!" and the bully demanding: "yes!". It seemed to me like a very bad B-movie or soap-series.
I said that it was acting like a cranky toddler, and then it was gone!

I think these were shadow beings as were described by others earlier.
1. They were smaller than the people-shadows I had seen before.
2. They tried to get me or my energy.
3. They seemed evil, but turned out to be mere bullies.
4. They felt less intelligent than the bigger shadows. Not robot-like, more as the dumb muscle/sidekick?
5. They did not have red eyes (in the other post red eyes were mentioned).
6. They were not induced by sleeping paralysis because sometimes my husband would feel them before I did.

Then when we thought it was all over,
Encounter 3:
The noise in my head and the heavy weight on my chest continued to come frequently when falling asleep or just before waking up. But this time I did not see shadows. In that north-east upper corner of our room was an eye.
I had read Tolkiens 'Lord of the Rings' and in my horror I thought: this is what the eye of Sauron is like! This must have happened to Tolkien as well! (I saw the movie later and the eye was different)
The eye was watching me/us importunately (if that is possible) very intrusive. I, now strengthened by the idea that I had some power in this as well, told it to go away and it did. Within a few seconds, my 3 year old son woke up crying. He said there was someone watching him and pointed to the upper corner of his room, which was on the other side of the wall where the eye had been in our room.
This happened several times, until I decided to ask the eye who it was. It showed me that the eye was like a microscope and behind that were scientists that were studying us. I told them that I was not qualified for this as I was neither a Psychic nor an important person on this planet. They did not even seem to want to listen to me, I was no more important to them as bacteria in a petri-dish are to a human scientist.

I was not able to make the eye go away. The person who psychically cleansed our house was shocked when he noticed how bad it was and said that if he had known he would have come immediately.
Since our house has been cleansed we have been able to sleep again!

This eye was not a shadow, but;
1. It felt like they belonged together
2. It was not doing anything except observing; as are many of the shadows

I hope my story was useful to those who still suffer from the shadow people.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join