It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

chose 4 items :)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
a reply to: ignorant_ape

4 ounces of weed
1 hammock
1 box of matches
1 rope (to hang myself once the pot is gone)

I lol'd so hard.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Pot, Knife, Flare Gun, Mirror

Pot - needed to boil (purify) water, and cook with (soups and stews could stretch any found meat and veggies)

Knife - can use to make shelter, tools (like a fishing rod, hunting spear, etc.), and clean hunted animals

Flare Gun - lets face it, goal is to get rescued, and this gives a GREAT chance of that, if you see a ship or plane far off.

Mirror - while also good for signalling, main reason is that you can use this to make fires easier.

The tarp is nice, but I could build a decent shelter (or find one). Sunscreen (it's called deal with it and stay out of the sun when bad), toilet paper? (I'll use the ocean), IPOD? No. Hiking Boots (shoes I have would have to do), Hand Saw (nice, especially for shelter, but I can break pieces instead), Inflatable Raft (any boat I signal could come get me), Flashlight (I could make a torch), Insect Repellent (nice, but not an essential), Hammock (again nice, but not essential), Compass (who cares, lost on an island), Vitamins (in the food I'll find and catch), Water Purifier (have pot, not needed), Fishing Rod (can make this), Rope (can make this too), Hunting Rifle (nice, but more primitive weapons can be made), Weed? No, First Aid Kit (nice, but not a necessity), Tent (again, can build shelter), Matches (can start fire with mirror instead, and won't run out), Volleyball (I guess I could add a handprint and call it Wilson, but no).....

a lot of this depends on resources and time. for example look at the vitamins... not needed for a short term situation or if there is enough animals and plants to deliver all vital vitamins and minerals and add to that amino acids. It is quite possible to die of malnutrition while stuffing yourself with abundant but nutritionally deficient food. one colony died of malnutrition while eating their fill of rabbits which are missing a critical amino acid.

so for long term vitamins might be a rational choice.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
Knife
Rope
Tarp
Pot

I think I'd take the tent over the tarp. There's a lot more material to work with there.

ETA: Probably take the fishing pole over the rope too.

Good to see you participating on the boards.

edit on 2222016 by Snarl because: ETA:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
tarp- very diverse shelter, also possible to make a solar still if necessary.

fishing rod- it is very, very hard to catch fish with rope threads. Can't count how many times Les Stroud wished he had one.

knife- multiple uses, including making traps

pot- cook food and purify water

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Knife - Kills, cuts, processes anything.

Water Purifier - cuz you know, its on the list and easier to clean the water with. Of course this depends on certain factors of the island.

first aid kit - cleaning cuts and scraped asap is a good thing.

fishing rod - much easier to fish with.

I can make my own fires with sticks and stone, or just sticks. Learned it at 9 years old, still practice once in a blue moon, just to know I still got it.

I can make my own roof as long as there are trees. Island means there will likely be palm trees. I can make shelter and a bed with palm fronds.

There is an abundance of salt, so if I have a REEALLY GOOD day of fishing, I can salt it, wrap it in leaves, and bury it for later. I wouldn't even have to boil it out of the water, I could just spend a few hours a week scraping salt off the leaves of mangroves.

I would like to know more about the island though. is there a fresh water source, are there rocks/caves, because that would change wheter I bring the water purifier or the pot.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Knife
First aid kit
Water purifier
Rope

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
hey folks - thanks for all the replies - some very interesting rationals for the 4 chosen items

however - this experiment was not really about which items you chose or the reason for each item [ thought that was a good read ]

the replies i was REALLY fishing for were those that actually asked for more information on the island

kudos to " seagull " for being the first of few to raise this CRITICAL point [ and of course props to everyone else that did ]

in a survival situation erroneous assumptions are likley to be one of the biggests factors in your downfall

and to be blunt - too many people made assumptions about the resources etc that would be inherent on the " deserted island "

all that " deserted island " told you is that its a body of land totally surrounded by water - and no humans are there

nothing else

i am not going to pick apart anyones posts - because all that were not posted " in jest " were excelent choices IF the obvious assunptions that the poster made were true

thats all

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I'm still bringin that weed yo

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

I'm still bringin that weed yo

If you plant the weed seeds and if you can make the initial stash last for a few months, then you'll have an endless source, then you can use the rope for something else. lol

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Twenty ounces later.

I'm ready.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Hehe, U take weed, but not matches?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

the replies i was REALLY fishing for were those that actually asked for more information on the island

Yea, at least me chosed most universal items, what may work any circumstances (these was knife, saw, pot and fishing rod with string and hooks).

But if im reading now all answers, just thinking then maybe i have got all that wrong... what if one lands not just deserted but also pure rough and dry DESERT island. Gamechanger.

First priority is water then. So one need tent+pot, because tent works same as tarp, but also as like shelter. U need collect drifting wood on shoreline (no vegetation), somehow make fire and start boiling saltwater and collect condensed water vapor with tent.

Knife always remain on list.

Food is not big issue, desert island contains a lot scorpions, lizards who eat scorpions and snakes who eat lizards, also some kind of birds and maybe eggs then. Food chain excellence is me who eats all of them.

4th item depends what endgame one takes:
- flares if planning escape
- weed if no bother
- fishing rod again if one wants eat something better than scorpions
edit on 23-2-2016 by SaddledMummy because: DISCLAIMER: a fishing line + some drifting wood + a really necessary cause = fire; so my endgame contains fishing rod

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

hey folks - thanks for all the replies - some very interesting rationals for the 4 chosen items

however - this experiment was not really about which items you chose or the reason for each item [ thought that was a good read ]

kudos to " seagull " for being the first of few to raise this CRITICAL point [ and of course props to everyone else that did ]

in a survival situation erroneous assumptions are likley to be one of the biggests factors in your downfall

and to be blunt - too many people made assumptions about the resources etc that would be inherent on the " deserted island "

all that " deserted island " told you is that its a body of land totally surrounded by water - and no humans are there

nothing else

i am not going to pick apart anyones posts - because all that were not posted " in jest " were excelent choices IF the obvious assunptions that the poster made were true

thats all

That's why I made the choices I did.

The only thing you can say for certain about the island is that you can't survive there indefinitely. You could pick up clues from some of the available items. The vitamins and the ipod, for instance. Even if there is plentiful food and water, you are likely to suffer from some type of dietary deficiency. Then again, maintaining your sanity would be a problem for most people stuck there alone. The availability of the first aid kit should remind you that medical emergencies will happen. Castaway reminds us that something as simple as an infected tooth can be fatal.

The fact that you can only select 4 items suggests that time is a factor, so you can't scout the island before you make your choices. So I figure the only real choice is to get off the island to be rescued. So you'll need the raft. Second, you need to protect yourself from sun, wind, rain and cold, so you'll need the tarp. You might also be able to use it as a limited sail. Third, you'll need water, so the purification kit. Lastly, the flare gun to signal nearby ships.

If there are useful items on the island, fine. Stock up on food, water, etc. Stay as long as practical to gather supplies and look for passing ships. But since you can't count on the island being able to provide anything, it's best to be prepared to leave the island with what you need to survive on the water as long as possible.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaddledMummy
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Hehe, U take weed, but not matches?

I can make fire, takes time to grow weed.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Fact is, if you're on a barren island, and don't have the assumed resources we assume from the "deserted island" reference, then simply put, you're going to die, no matter what 4 items you have.

Totally see what you did there, but you did emphasize the items over the specifics of the situation.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Ahh so you choose to be stranded on a suitable desert island as to your own tastes

I pick Australia, just move everything off, don't worry about bringing anything then

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Tempted to go for the volley ball, what if a team of female volleyball players also got stranded, be great to have something to do with them

I can think of lots of things to do with them
They would appreciate a tent much more than a volleyball!

Rope
Knife
Water Purifier
Mirror

Night signal fires can be set up for ignition when a ship or plane is spotted. Daytime signaling with mirror.
Water is critical and the work required to acquire safe water would be much less demanding using a WP.
Knife to make everything else needed, cleaning fish or wildlife, etc.

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I pick Australia, just move everything off, don't worry about bringing anything then

Are you kidding? The place where everything is designed to just kill you? Theres a reason Australia is surrounded by nothing but water. God is trying to protect you from the hell trapped within!

If you make a list of world's most deadly animals, or most venomous, etc. Australia has more entries in each list, by far. There's even a SNAIL that can kill you there! A frickin' snail!

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
as i was talking about assumptions ealier :

the premise of this thread is a :

DESERTED island , NOT a DESERT island

DESERTED = no inhabitants [ people ]

DESERT = less than a certain rainfall per anum [ i forget the atcual number ]

so to be pedantic - most peoples idea of " desert island " is infact false - the sterotypical trope of a sandy island in the tropics with a corral reef , beeches coconuts and crap is NOT actually a desert

most true " desert islands " are in arctic // antarctic regions

rant over

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

DESERTED island , NOT a DESERT island
/.../
most true " desert islands " are in arctic // antarctic regions

rant over

What u are ranting of? There is a plenty of deserted desert islands, mostly areas like Red Sea, Aden Gulf, Persian Gulf, Gulf of California, near Australia and West Africa. Real Arctic islands, if one landed there with only 4 items, mean basically naked, get immadeath
There is no way u can survive only 4 items on arctics, but ur game reveal, there is a chance survive only for 4 items on dry desert island.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join