It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

chose 4 items :)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:22 PM
Do I get line with the rod?

What resources are on the island? I can make hooks and a rod from resources but not line.

You can create fire and make good shelter unless it is bare.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:24 PM
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Pot, hammock, knife and matches.

I want to have water purifier / container / cooker which is pot and fire, a cutting tool, and be off the ground. From there I can build shelter and get food.
edit on 2016/2/22 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:39 PM
Knife - no need to explain the importance of this one

Rope - has a ton of different uses, particularly the type of rope that's shown in the picture because it can be easily split into thinner pieces doubling/tripling/quadrupling the amount of rope you have to make use of. Thinner pieces can be used to weave a hammock too.

Cooking pot - most importantly used for water collection and purifying via the boiling method

Large First Aid Kit - there will be tons of things in this kit that have multiple uses besides just for medical purposes (thread, needles, tweezers, gauze, gauze tape, iodine, scissors, etc)... not to mention the usefulness of the case it all comes in too (ie: enclosed food or potable water storage).

I don't see the tarp as being necessary since palm leaves make an easy waterproof cover over a shelter frame and can be easily weaved into mats for ground cover as well. It would definitely be handy to have but not a necessity.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:48 PM

originally posted by: Indigent
Im curious on why you people takes a tarp for shelter when there is a tent
The only real reason is a tarp would potentially last longer. other than that the tent actually would provide much more resources.

i guess a lot of people are used to the minimalist scenarios and those usually are conceived with a tarp. you get a lot of blogs and books and shows about how useful a tarp is and it is useful and how to put it to a wide variety of uses but as far as i know there is only one thing you can do with a tarp that would be difficult with a tent and that is make a coracle type life raft.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:58 PM

Knife, tarp and rope and not sure for a fourth.

Probably go for the flare gun. It'd catch the attention of passing vessels and aircraft more than a signal fire. Smoke on an island could be "meh" to some observers when an emergency flare is more 'WTF' and liable to create some action.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:59 PM

Hiking Boots,
Mirror &

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:04 PM

(cooking) Pot
First Aid Kit

The name of the game here is fresh water. With the tarp and the pot, I can either collect rain water or distill water out of the ground with a solar still, collecting either into the pot. Both are short term fixes while I engineer a long term solution.

The knife is a no-brainer. A man stranded without a knife is boned in most circumstances.

The first aid kit has a wealth of utility to it (not least of which is medical!) Most high value kits contain safety pins, which work well for fish hooks. Though time consuming, workable fishing line can be created from gauze fibers. Bandaging material can be fuzzed enough to catch a spark, making it excellent tinder. Etc.

The tent would be my first alternate/addition if we were given a 5th item, but it wouldn't remain a tent for long. I'd remove the screening material and use it to make fish traps/small seiner nets, use the bottom as an additional water catching tarp, and probably turn the top canvas into either a shelter or a sun shielding poncho, depending on what type of weather conditions we're talking about.
edit on 22-2-2016 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:07 PM

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: Chadwickus

You people underestimates the power of the mosquito

I'm an Alaskan, you get used to them after awhile. At least to some degree.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:12 PM
a reply to: burdman30ott6

As a Venezuelan i can say dengue hurts and its one of the mildest thing a mosquito in the tropic can give you, the tarp will be handy to gather water, you will need all you can get to endure that malaria

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:23 PM
the tent has mosquito netting and is bug tight. don't go out at dawn and dusk. Do go out if it is windy. a plant called jackass bitters is a mosquito repellant. there are other plants that repel bugs depending on where in the world you are. also a coating of mud will reduce bug bites. furthermore your clothing is important not just as a sun screen but as a bug barrier.

The tent rain fly can be used as a bug barrier (poncho) and a sunscreen. sea cucumbers exude a slime that has a high SPF factor. they can be found in the wading zone at the beach or in tidal pools sometimes.

if you have a sheet hammock it is the same thing. a poncho for sunscreen, bug barrier and varying degrees of rain resistance.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:31 PM
cotton socks, a t shirt or underwear can be used to wick clean water from dirty water. occasionally you have to clean the ends of the wick of flow will stop but other than that this turns the most turbid, debris filled disgusting looking water into crystal clear water. am not certain but i think it won't even let bacteria or viruses through. I'd still boil, sun pasteurize or sun UV sterilize it just to be sure until i verify that last bit is true or not.

edit on 22-2-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:31 PM
Tent - shelter especially from mozzies
Matches - fire, it would be hard to make fire another way but im sure i could do it... it would be just a time wasting pain in the ass.
Pot - some place i can cook my soups ;-p
Water purifier - easy fresh water - a huge time saver

Can smash stones together to create some sharp stones for stone tools. Sure I'd rather a knife. But if I had a knife I would go without a tent and I really REALLY hate mozzies.

Hell, you can catch fish using a sharp stick.
edit on 22-2-2016 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:36 PM
Fishing rod
Sun Screen
Toilet roll...

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:51 PM

I suppose I would have to go with:

Water Purifier
Fishing Rod
Flare Gun

Tent gives you shelter, Water Purifier gives you drinkable water, Fishing Rod is a potential food source (assuming you can catch fish) The Flare Gun can be used to both start a fire and can also signal for help if you see a passing ship. The flare gun is also more water resistant than matches.

But I'm no survival expert. I'm just guessing that would be my best chances based on what's available.

I was really tempted to take the raft and some other things, but I would have probably ended up dying faster trying to escape.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:02 PM

Reasons behind for me opting for 4 different items - Hiking boots, Knife, Mirror, & Pot are..

1- Hiking boots: Well we all need boots to avoid various ill effects to our foot,frm various sources.

2-Knife: I don't need to go into details how handy a knife could be,starting from making tents, ropes by cutting trees & peeling off its cover, herbs from mosquito repellent plants to avoid mosquito bite etc etc

3- Mirror: Can b used to gain attention frm sailing boats via reflection of sunlight, to Ignite Firewood etc ( of course it will depend on what type of mirror it is)

4-Pot: we need a utensil to boil water / cook food and what cud possibly b a better utensil thn a pot.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:02 PM
a reply to: peskyhumans

Could take the lifeboat, a rope and the flaregun.

Tie the rope to the flare and hang on tight to the raft before firing.

A clever person would tie the rope to the front of the raft too. It'd free a hand up for scooping up plankton and fish as they are struck by the bow-wave of the raft.

Passing vessels and aircraft would have their attention caught by the bright flares, glowing plankton and the large wave being ridden by a yellow raft.

No brainer really.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:13 PM
The weed is a bad choice.

It makes you hungry and lazy. A bad combination when you need to hunt for your food.

Although, if you take the fishing rod you HAVE TO take the weed, I'm told they go hand in hand.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:18 PM

4 ounces of weed
1 hammock
1 box of matches
1 rope (to hang myself once the pot is gone)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:25 PM
It'd probably surprise you to know but traditionally japanese kimonos were made from banana tree fibers. and many plants have fibers that can be used to make ropes and or clothing. yuccas and similar plants for another example. so you can make cordage, containers, clothing, fishing line, hammocks, shelter and so on if you know how.

and if you want to sacrifice a banana plant (trading potential food and other resources for safe water) you can turn it into a source of pure ready to drink water that will last as long as the rhyzome stays alive after the plant is decapitated. cut off the majority of the plant except for a few inches and hollow out a bowl shaped depression in the trunk. the roots will continually fill the bowl with filtered water maybe for weeks.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:27 PM
Pot, Knife, Flare Gun, Mirror

Pot - needed to boil (purify) water, and cook with (soups and stews could stretch any found meat and veggies)

Knife - can use to make shelter, tools (like a fishing rod, hunting spear, etc.), and clean hunted animals

Flare Gun - lets face it, goal is to get rescued, and this gives a GREAT chance of that, if you see a ship or plane far off.

Mirror - while also good for signalling, main reason is that you can use this to make fires easier.

The tarp is nice, but I could build a decent shelter (or find one). Sunscreen (it's called deal with it and stay out of the sun when bad), toilet paper? (I'll use the ocean), IPOD? No. Hiking Boots (shoes I have would have to do), Hand Saw (nice, especially for shelter, but I can break pieces instead), Inflatable Raft (any boat I signal could come get me), Flashlight (I could make a torch), Insect Repellent (nice, but not an essential), Hammock (again nice, but not essential), Compass (who cares, lost on an island), Vitamins (in the food I'll find and catch), Water Purifier (have pot, not needed), Fishing Rod (can make this), Rope (can make this too), Hunting Rifle (nice, but more primitive weapons can be made), Weed? No, First Aid Kit (nice, but not a necessity), Tent (again, can build shelter), Matches (can start fire with mirror instead, and won't run out), Volleyball (I guess I could add a handprint and call it Wilson, but no).....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>