It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In defense of worship...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

I'm not here to start a fight about whose God is better, 'cause frankly, I don't care.

I picked this video because I play the cello, and this may be the lovliest version of this song I've ever heard. Watch the cellist as he's playing, he's worshiping through that music.

I have little use for religion. But I have the utmost of respect for the beauty that has come from simple worship.

Look at some of these.

Especially ones that are old, and hand made by skilled artists... That, too, was worship.

As is this...

Listen to the emotion, the devotion in those words.

Get past the stupidity of religion, and our views of God aren't all that different. Though, of course, many of you will, without hesitation, disagree with me.

...and any excuse for George Harrison...

Step into the quiet solitude of a country church some time, one that is cared for by the parishners...that, too, is worship of a more tangible sort. The mellow beauty of polished wood reflecting the sun as it shines through those stained glass windows.

We rightly decry the horrors wrought in the name of religion...as we should. But don't forget that much beauty has been brought into this world as quiet worship by people expressing their love. There is naught of hate in most of it.

Don't forget poetry...

One of my personal favorites

T.S. Eliot

And the wind shall say: “Here were decent godless people:
Their only monument the asphalt road
And a thousand lost golf balls.”

Religion is a chain attached to the soul. Worship frees the soul.

Agree or not, at your leisure.

edit on 2/22/2016 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Ahhhh

Religion is not evil.

I have a personal relationship with my Lord and Savior and that is my religion. I follow Christ so, Christianity.

It is only what man corrupts religion into that is evil my friend.

Remember that the greatest achievement of Satan is allowing man to believe he does not exist.

Love the music by the way..

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Worship = "Respect"
It comes from the Old English WEORTH SCIPE- a state of having worth, or value.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

To each his own, my friend.

Religion isn't, in and of itself, evil. It's some of the bastards within the religion that give it its dark side, just as it's men like yourself, who give it its light side.

I find religion to be too human. Aren't we trying, in our own ways, to transcend our humanity? Or to at least better it? Dogma, which is probably a better way to phrase it, rather than religion; is that chain I mentioned, or it can be.

This isn't something I've spent a lot of time pondering... Not even really sure why I started this thread, I just thought it was a good idea...guess time will tell, huh?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Respect?

Having worth?

Appropriate to my eyes.

Thanks for that. Old English lays way outside my scope of knowledge.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Your way is beautiful sorry to ruin the vibe

Pls snip if inappropriate

You know this one

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: recovery

I don't think I'd phrase it quite that way, but yes...that's pretty much how I feel about matters pertaining to worship.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Aren't we trying, in our own ways, to transcend our humanity? Or to at least better it?

Perhaps my friend...

As you know I have seen the absolute worst that men can be and do.

However in the midst of that horror, I have also seen great beauty, fluid grace, unexpected acts of kindness and joy in something as simple as acknowledging our own temporary existence.

While I live by faith, I have seen the absolute proof of God working in my life and it is beyond beautiful, it surpasses the human ability for description.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

Ahhhh

Religion is not evil.

I have a personal relationship with my Lord and Savior and that is my religion. I follow Christ so, Christianity.

It is only what man corrupts religion into that is evil my friend.

Remember that the greatest achievement of Satan is allowing man to believe he does not exist.

Love the music by the way..

I challenge you to name a religion that man hasn't corrupted.

Worship is personal and divine, and religion is always about some gain. Heaven, money, whatever, everyone wants something from religion.

Just give thanks for what is and be glad for what isn't.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

While I've not seen the carnage you've seen, nor do I want to... I've seen more than my fair share of nightmare inducing things...

Like you, I've seen those good things, too. I suppose that's why I'm never quite able to lose my faith in not only God, but humanity. I see the unheralded good that's done, not for credit, but because it needs doing, and no one else can, or will.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Barzini

I challenge you to name a religion that man hasn't corrupted.

As with any human institution, there is an inherent corruption that, almost inevitably, creeps into it.

Few human institutions set out to become corrupt, or be corrupted. Humans, with the their light, also come fully equipped with dark.

We also come with a remarkable ability to work around our darkness...within religion there are still things of surpassing beauty.

I have issues with organized, dogmatic religion. But you'll never see me deny the very real, and good, accomplishments that come from it, either.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

By definition, a "thing", religion or other, can not be corrupt.. That's why I never bothered to reply.

Humans on the other hand? Yeah they can be corrupt.

However to limit oneself because of the actions of others is purely self defeating. I choose to walk my own path.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   

By definition, perhaps... But in real terms? Semantics, i suppose, and a pointless discussion, really.

Walking one's own path? Amen, brother Semper, amen!

But then we kinda knew we'd end up agreeing, didn't we?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Does worship not imply subjugation? If one is to be exalted, another must be degraded. Does vilification follow on the heels of worship, or is it the other way around?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Get past the stupidity of religion, and our views of God aren't all that different. Though, of course, many of you will, without hesitation, disagree with me.

Not at all.

My own form of worship is staring at the night sky, listening to surf, wind in the trees, a gurgling brook. A flower, insect, bird, cloud, mountain vista, sunset.

Quiet, wondering, awe.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Fortunately, religion does not have a copyright on worship. Anything or anyone can be worshiped. I would agree that some beautiful poetry, prose, and music have come out of worship, because of the devotion that has gone into it.

Can a "thing" be corrupt, or even evil? I think it can, when it's very reason for existence is the propagation of deception by seduction and fear.

edit on 2/22/2016 by Klassified because: redact

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Thanks for a great piece of music. Truly beautiful. The cello is a fine instrument for voicing certain emotions and complements the piano.

Religion is a chain attached to the soul. Worship frees the soul.

Worship of anything can only keep the soul enslaved. All gods, religion and societal norms/constraints keep man enslaved.

But don't forget that much beauty has been brought into this world as quiet worship by people expressing their love. There is naught of hate in most of it

True, but worship of any gods or men or things or systems is giving your power away. This planet is truly a prison planet. The quicker people realize they are living under an illusion, a vampyric system that you toil in for the better part of your life; for the few breadcrumbs that are thrown to you, and you are told to be satisfied. This is not a planet run by a benevolent fair god.

I worship nothing, music is an escape for me where I forget where I am who I am where I live or who calls the shots.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Religion isn't, in and of itself, evil

Of course it is. Dont be fooled.

Middle English (originally in the sense ‘life under monastic vows’): from Old French, or from Latin religio(n- ) ‘obligation, bond, reverence’, perhaps based on Latin religare ‘to bind’.

You really should look at the Gods Of Eden by William Bramley -

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The Piano Guy's are great.

This is where music appreciation trumps religious views.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

LOVE this post! I couldn't agree more. We (any of us - believers or not) can worship the beauty, thoughts and wonderment of life, music, love...

It's all here for us to appreciate and bask in...

I didn't know you play the cello. How lovely. Thank you for the post and lovely music.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join