It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone tell me what this phenomenon is ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Hello.
I was going to work this morning and we usually arrive when the sun rises.
The sun is always in front of us as we go East all the time and this morning we saw the sun "rising" from the West and I was wondering what kind of phenomenon is this.
I think it's some kind of reflection but can't find anything about it.
It was actually pretty cool it was like a sunrise from the West and we could observe it for 3 or 4 minutes before we entered a forrest and couldn't see it anymore.
There were clouds East and we didn't actually see two suns, just the one that was "rising" West.
I Googled it but couldn't find any name for it.
All I found was some Quran quotes and something with magnetic poles shifting from articles from 2012.
And no, it wasn't the moon because we could see the moon somewhere else on the sky.
I'm from eastern Europe if it helps in any way.
(Please no Nibiru/Planet X nonsense)

Thank you

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
The sun does not rise in the West. It was either or a reflection or something else.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: saudi

It could be a sun dog which can appear as a mirror image of the sun observed on the other side of it's actual location - this phenomena is caused by ice crystals high in the atmosphere acting sort of like prisms, bending the light rays passing through them.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I am aware the sun does not rise in the West and I know it was a reflection or "something else".
I was wondering what that "something else" is, if it is a known phenomenon or if it has a name.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

It didn't have a halo like a sun dog, or maybe we couldn't see the halo because it was too early and partly cloudy.
It was interesting nevertheless, like and actual sunrise.
Thank you for your reply.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

It could be a sun dog which can appear as a mirror image of the sun observed on the other side of it's actual location - this phenomena is caused by ice crystals high in the atmosphere acting sort of like prisms, bending the light rays passing through them.

But.. would a sun dog make the sun appear to rise on the opposite side of earth? And wouldn't the op who seems quite sensible be able to determine the difference between the sun and a sun dog?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   
If it happens tomorrow again I will take a photo.
I would have taken one today but it looked like a normal sunrise.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Apart from being in the wrong quadrant of the compass, whereabouts in the sky was this appararition? On the horizon? Above it? If above, how far would you say?

The reason I ask, is that it will have bearing on the type of event we are dealing with.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Just a little above the horizon,like a sunrise..I'm sorry I can only describe it like a sunrise.
When we saw it, it was about full in size and it had a normal shape not blurry or with a halo.

Something like this, just that in this photo it's only half size.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Please check a Moon chart for the month. I suspect you will find that the Moon was going down in the western sky as the sun was appearing in the east. We have just had a Full Moon a couple of days ago. At that time the Moon is virtually opposite the sun in the sky, ergo, you new sun in the west. But rather weak wasn't it?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

I would say that this was some sort of mirage, possibly a reflection from the horizon. Perhaps there was a frost or something reflecting the Suns image from the opposite horizon to where one would normally expect to see it.

Jolly strange, but clearly an optical illusion of some description. I would love to see a photograph of such a thing, if you ever get the opportunity to take one.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I just checked Sky map online.
At 6:40 AM the Moon was no longer on the sky and we could still see the "reflection" in the West and it was pretty big.
I will check it out tomorrow and maybe it will still be there and I will take photos.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I hope I catch it again tomorrow.
Now I feel bad for not taking any photos.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=20401183]saudi[/p

Sun and Moon from Paris, France
Your local times will very, of course.

Sunrise Today: 7:47 AM↑ 105° East
Sunset Today: 6:22 PM↑ 255° West

Moonrise Today: 6:20 PM↑ 77° East
Moonset Today: 7:27 AM↑ 286° West

Daylight Hours: 10 hours, 34 minutes (+3m 28s)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
depends on sky conditions. I've seen 2 suns with my own eyes. They were pretty close to each other but certainly separate. At the time it was snowy and I presume it was a reflection of the sun (as I could look directly at it - It wasn't half as bright) - I posted the best pictures I could on here many years ago and people shot me down saying "it's just the sun!" ....... you can't please everyone.

Probably a reflection but I don't know the science behind it.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

I think it was some kind of reflection too.
I couldn't find any phenomenon that could describe it fully.
It was like the actual sun, just in the wrong place and when you see it with your own eyes like you said, it's hard to explain it.
I'm not looking to please anyone
i just want to know what it was and the "science" behind it.
Or it could be the Moon like Aliensun said and I'm just making a fool out of myself..I just doubt it because the Moon was no loger visible and it was clear and I didn't see the Moon patterns on it.
Thank you for your reply.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

It is close, the time here is one hour ahead of Paris.

top topics

join