It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO Warns Turkey - Will Not help in a war with Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

NATO says "NOP"

European diplomats have warned the Turkish government that it cannot count on the NATO support should the conflict with Russia escalate into an armed conflict, according to German media.

So basically Turkey has been left out in the cold to fend for itself. Erdogan has really pushed turkey to a corner, not only are Russian breathing down his neck but NATO seems to be slowly distancing themselves from this conflict. I doubt Germany, France and Italy, the major players in Europe/NATO want anything to do with what is going down in Syria , especially when it comes to fighting Russia. Its interesting how Turkey will go from here, will Turks cross the border with 3,50,000 troops forcing an engagement with Russia or will it back down. I already pointed out in another thread, a conflict with Russia will be disastrous.Russians will not Engage Turkey in a ground War but will probably use Missiles to hit infrastructure, Dams, roads ,railways and power Stations in Turkey. They don't even need to use nukes.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: maddy21
I have always thought (or at least hoped) that they were saying this behind the scenes. That is what diplomats normally do.
If they have decided to go public, it implies a fear that Turkey is intent on ignoring them.

edit on 22-2-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I suspect Erdogan is squeezed on all corners and has 'popped his lid'.

He must be barking mad if he thinks he can go up against Russian fire power and if NATA has recognised this and doesn't want to engage then he really should do an immediate 180* turn fast.

But this is disastrous for the EU and the flow of refugees because his current policy will only cause a hell of a lot more problems for him if Russia does decide to get meet his challenge and bomb things like the infrastructure and other essentials.

Erdogan actually needs support to change his policy and help with containing refugees, so when the conflict in Syria does stop they can get back to their country and start to rebuild it with undoubtedly the money that will flow from the bankers, because Assad can pay for it with Syria's oil that men like Murdoch are busy and slyly drilling for.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
There's around 80M people in Turkey - if the plan is to bring down Europe through mass immigration then we will see Turkey confront Russia and be destroyed. This would make for 10's of millions trying to flee and they have very few options due to their geography:

South into Syria and Iraq - not going that way,
East into Iran, Armenia and Georgia - not going that way either,
North is the Black Sea and the Ukraine - hmm not that way either
Leaving West - The Greeks aren't going to let them in - hated each other decades leaving a single land border with Bulgaria for them to flee through.

So lets hope Turkey see sense and step back.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I hate NATO with passion.

Did you guys know they murdered two Serbian diplomats in Libya recently?

Over 10,000 Serbs was protesting in Belgrade on the weekend. Our traitor Prime Minister Vučić has been offered some deal, nevermind that NATO murdered over 500 Serbs and supports Kosovo independence... completely disgusting. This is why we protested, for against corrupt NATO control.

To speak truth, I am kinda surprised that they are not supporting Turkey... I guess even they realise it is stupid to provoke Russia like this.

Turkey provoked Russia, and murdered Russians. Turkey murdered Western journalists, Jacqueline Sutton, Serena Shim, even NATO must now know that Turkey is the belligerent, and war with Russia will involve not only Russia herself
edit on 22-2-2016 by Helicopter because: spelling mistake

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   

European diplomats decide nothing .Washington pulls the strings and makes the decisions for NATO .Just like they were doing in Georgia .

eta....This piece if true could be the real reason behind the OP ...

February 19, 2016 "Information Clearing House" - "Voltaire Network" - Reportedly, representatives of ISIL — with help from the Turkish intelligence services — have established an extensive network in Antalya for the recruitment of individuals who have arrived in Turkey from the post-Soviet States, to enable their participation in the Syrian conflict and possible transfer to Russia.

The group of recruiters consists of a Kyrgyzstan national named Abdullah; a native of Adygea named Azmet; a native of Tatarstan named Elnar; a Russian Federation national named Ilyas; an Azerbaijan national named Adil Aliev; and a native of Karachay-Cherkessia named Nizam. They are led by a Russian Federation national, Ruslan Rastyamovich Khaibullov (also known as Baris Abdul or by the pseudonym “The Teacher”), born on 1 April 1978 in Tatarstan. He lives with his family in Antalya. He has a Turkish permanent residence permit.

Recruitment takes place with the knowledge of the temporary detention centre administration. If a detainee agrees to accept Islam and engage in terrorist activity, the recruiters promise to “do a deal” with the Turkish law enforcement agencies and offer, free of charge, the services of a Turkish lawyer, Tahir Tosolar. Sultan Kekhursaev, a Chechen who is a Turkish national, has also made visits for the same purpose to detention centres where foreigners are held.-
Russian Intelligence Report On Turkey’s Current Assistance To Daesh - www.informationclearinghouse.info...
edit on 22-2-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well it makes sense. I always thought that NATO was only obligated to respond to any of this if the instigation was caused by Russia. i.e. defense.

From the linked article:

A German diplomat echoed Asselborn's stance and said:
'We are not going to pay the price for a war started by the Turks.'

NATO: "The organization constitutes a system of collective defense whereby its member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party."

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Good.

At last the West is coming to it's senses.

Russia is not going to invade Turkey unless provoked. Turkey is not the primary objective. Working with the Assad government to retake Syria is the plan.

If everyone who is not in the middle east or not willing to work with the Assad government backs off, this conflict will stay a middle east issue, not boil over and sort itself out.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
NATO supporting Turkey would depend on the circumstances. NATO is a defensive alliance, so based on mutual defence and security. If Russia were foolish enough to start shooting at Turkish forces then NATO would support Turkey, of that I am sure. This is why this has not happened.

However, if Turkey engineer a confrontation then this is not acting in defence. Turkey know this, which is why it won't happen.

The worst we will have is an "accident", followed by some harsh language.

Interesting that NATO is holding both Turkey and Russia back! Just like it was meant to do.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
This is a literal fulfilment of prophecy again.

It'll be interesting to see if Israel is pulled into this, if it is it's prophecy for definite. When that happens, and Damascus is taken away from being a city, let the end times roll!

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Good..i'm glad NATO have come out and seen sense on this.

Play with fire, expect to get your fingers burnt.

Kick a bear up the backside...you get the idea.

Erdogan is a crooked idiot. Personally, i think the turkish people should not have to pay for the corruption of their crooked government...Russia is pissed off and rightly so imo...but they ought to take it out on the actual culprit..erdogan, not the Turks who have nothing to do with him or have any control over what he orders.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Given that Turkey has allowed a safe passage for terrorism I couldn't care less if Russia turned Turkey into a car-park.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk
Given that Turkey has allowed a safe passage for terrorism I couldn't care less if Russia turned Turkey into a car-park.

I care about the innocent Turks who have no say on what their government does paying the ultimate price, and think that a more surgical strike (if this escalates of course) should be the order of the day...but i catch and agree with your general drift.

If the reports of erdogan being left out to dry are true, I'd imagine there's quite a few people sweating in the Turkish government right about now.

edit on 22 2 2016 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
NATO may not support Turkey in Syria fighting the Russians but, they would also make it clear than any attack on Turkey itself would result in NATO action unless Turkey attacked Russia proper first.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
NATO may not support Turkey in Syria fighting the Russians but, they would also make it clear than any attack on Turkey itself would result in NATO action unless Turkey attacked Russia proper first.

At last , "a cry in the wilderness". Someone gets it.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

NATO supporting Turkey would depend on the circumstances. NATO is a defensive alliance

You know that the best defense is a good offense right ?

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: paraphi

NATO supporting Turkey would depend on the circumstances. NATO is a defensive alliance

You know that the best defense is a good offense right ?

Except when you're on your own, facing an opponent 1000 x stronger than you are...then kissing arse is the best defence.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

originally posted by: angryhulk

I care about the innocent Turks who have no say on what their government does paying the ultimate price, and think that a more surgical strike (if this escalates of course) should be the order of the day...but i catch and agree with your general drift.

If the reports of erdogan being left out to dry are true, I'd imagine there's quite a few people sweating in the Turkish government right about now.

I admit I let my imagination get ahead of me. Targeted strikes of course. The Turkish gov't reap what they sow.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
/

Erdogan is a crooked idiot. Personally, i think the turkish people should not have to pay for the corruption of their crooked government...

And yet Putin's Russia is worse. Putin presides over an increasingly authoritarian regime that is constraining civil liberties and press freedoms.

Corruption Index - Turkey 66/168 and Russia worse at 119/168
Press Freedom Index - Turkey 149/180 and Russia worse at 152/180
Economist Intel Unit's Democracy Index - Turkey 97 and Russia worse at 132

I cannot believe that some people on this Board seem to want war. If you remove NATO from the equation, Russia would still have great difficulty with Turkey. In fact, getting to Turkey would be the first problem as they don't actually have a border!
edit on 22/2/2016 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
/

Erdogan is a crooked idiot. Personally, i think the turkish people should not have to pay for the corruption of their crooked government...

And yet Putin's Russia is worse. Putin presides over an increasingly authoritarian regime that is constraining civil liberties and press freedoms.

Corruption Index - Turkey 66/168 and Russia worse at 119/168
Press Freedom Index - Turkey 149/180 and Russia worse at 152/180
Economist Intel Unit's Democracy Index - Turkey 97 and Russia worse at 132

And yet Putin opposes terrorism, while Turkey....... well.......

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join