It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piracy is being sold to us as Stealing but is it ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Just been reading an article here ( www.perthnow.com.au... ) were it compares downloading to stealing a car.

Well I will argue technically its not stealing, its copying. Its nothing like stealing a car like its being portrayed in the video clip because the owner now has no car, they are making it out its like taking something physical away from the rightful owner. In the case of downloading a tv show like GoT you simply copy the copy and watch it at your leisure with the owner unaware and unhurt by the action. You can argue financially they are hurt but when a decent movie comes out it makes 100's of millions so are we to accept the greedy Hollywood Bankers argument they should get more ?

The only real argument base you would have is if your movie flopped and made nothing at the box office and you wanted to writhe every cent you could from dvd sales and netflix ect. If your movie flops however I think its safe to say you don't deserve to deliver up garbage and be paid, If I go to work and serve up crap I get sacked but you Hollywood Reptiles think you can still keep pumping out garbage like Dallas Buyers Club and like filthy greedy whores sue people who mistakingly downloaded the crap !

Granted if you sell a copy then you are a pirate and the law should apply to you as then you are physically stealing revenue from the Reptiles running Hollywood. Until then though let the poor tv owners watch at their leisure what ever they want when ever they want.
edit on 21-2-2016 by mazzroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned the word one uses is nothing but semantics.

Someone created something and asked you to pay for it. You didn't. That's stealing to me.

You have stolen their time and anyone who gets a cut of the sale profits money.

We all pirate things..i do to, but i really hate when people try to justify it or say they are not stealing. I know I'm stealing and doing something wrong and feel bad about it.

Oh and dallas buyers club was great. Really? Out of all the crap films out you could have chosen to make your point you chose that one...?
edit on 21-2-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The movie, music, and software industry pushed for digital ... but didn't prepare for efficient delivery methods or business models to distribute the digital media. They also didn't adapt fast enough to how people were wanting to consume their media.

They let their own cat out of the bag, and whine and complain about what they allowed to happen. To top it off, they are/were slow to overhaul their industry (as it needed to be) in order to curb piracy.

As soon as the first music and movie was put into digital format on on CDs and DVDs...it was easier than ever to make identical copies.

It wasn't exactly easy to copy a vinyl record...lol

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

Remember the days when you had a tape in the player and then a good song came on the radio and you quickly ran over and hit the 2 buttons to record that song - those were the days.

Or, remember when you bought a CD and then burnt a copy or recorded it onto a tape for your friends / family so they could also have a copy too - those were also the days.

One mans pirate is another mans crusader.

Yours Sincerely

A Pirate.
edit on 21-2-2016 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Do you think the media industry could overhaul enough to effectively stop piracy? How?

I agree with everything you said by the way, just interested in your opinion.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

It also helped usher in the "end of ownership" era.

Meanwhile, the government tries to "own" carbon.

Cashless societies are next.

The most free slaves we are!

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I've never downloaded music.

I did rip a bunch of CDs ... and I do mean a bunch. I can't remember where it happened, but somehow my music collection got connected to the Internet and was pretty much trashed by Apple. After that, I could've cared less. Attack me for no reason and I have no use for defending things you want to keep away from others.

Here's a funny: Have you noticed that all that sticky tape they used to use to seal DVDs/BluRays is rarely used anymore? You've got me to thank for that. LOL

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Just been reading an article here ( www.perthnow.com.au... ) were it compares downloading to stealing a car.

Music,games and films are considered incorporeal property(intangible) and legally it is considered stealing when you download them from sites like the pirate bay.

What people should be more concerned about than the semantics of digital piracy, is what occurs from content creators in response to digital piracy. When the state forces ISP's through legislation backed by companies to shutdown sites that openly practice this. Everyone on the internet should remember the PIPA and SOPA bills, these sort of bills always attempt to destroy the last bastion of freedom that is the internet.

edit on 22-2-2016 by NateTheAnimator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Leto2

I'd rather pay $9 for Spotify than try and waste time tracking down pirated music, clogging up hard drive space with songs I may tire of in a few months...ect.

IMO when digital media was released, the methods of distribution weren't mature enough (internet speeds, or internet in general) to enable it to be controlled and easy to access.

I think the industry rushed ahead to quickly. People want instant gratification, and duplication of digital media was a lot quicker than going to a store to buy a CD. Downloading digital copies was easier as well. Effective digital ala carte storefronts for movies/music wasn't put into place yet. Subscription-based services hadn't even been dreamed up.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Well said

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I'd rather just "rent" my stuff than have to figure out how to store stacks of CDs or keep buying hard drives.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

I never watched it, I download a bit of stuff and after reading imdb about that one I passed on it. Its semantics about what movie but I chose that one specifically because they were the ones trying to make it law here in Australia that people get fined 100k for downloading it. Not for selling it or even watching it but on metadata, even if you get caught downloading content where does it become the crime ? when you unrar it ? when you finish dl it or as soon as you start to leech it ?

Unless you get caught in the act of watching the movie/tv show or music you have done no crime imo, say I download a file I think is a game demo ( legal one ) I run it and find out its the real game...have I committed a crime there ? or should I hand my self in to the Reptile Police and give them money ? no harm no foul is my motto and the rich film execs don't need any more money to fill their greed lust's.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
For mine most industries are pirates, slave labour, greedy corporations.
The whole situations a mess

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   
You know, I watched a documentary about the importance pirated VHS tapes played in Romania.

It is not the same as stealing. If I go to a friends place and watch a pirated DVD, and we have a great time, am I going to feel like some kind of criminal? Do I have to repent for every mix tape I made as a child or do I look back on those memories with fondness?

What it boils down to is a stupid legislated warning tacked to every movie you watch. A feeble attempt to make you feel guilty perpetrated by the most dishonest, greedy wastes of air on the planet.

To find out how piracy harms the economy, look no further than US foreign policy.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Yeah...you are a thief. Stop trying to justify it.

Using/watching/listening to something that was meant to be sold for its "use", without paying for that thing, is stealing, which makes your a thief. It is a simple concept.
edit on 22-2-2016 by jackjoedoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I'll argue the industry never really had that much of a problem with it until technology changed it from a slow leak into a torrent.

Back in the day you could check out movies and music from the local library for free and copy it with ease. I guess you could even do it with books if you were really determined. I used to do it with music because I was poor and 20 bucks on a CD was crazy when I could drive all week on $20 worth of gas.

Back then, they went through the motions of caring about people copying rentals and stuff like that but they really didn't care that much. They were making money hand over fist on rentals and kids were actually paying 20 bucks a pop for CDs and DVDs that mostly contained Marxist propaganda. It must have been nice to get paid for biting the hand that fed them.

Funny thing. File sharing is actually wealth redistribution and the Hollywood Marxists hate it.
edit on 22-2-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014
So someone leaves a newspaper, with a copy of PerthNow, at the local coffeeshoppe, I pick it up and read it....

Your analogy would deem me a thief, someone created it, I didn't pay for it, I'm stealing the intellectual property of someone else?, I'm a thief?

And NO we don't ALL pirate things, not knowingly ( example- I bought DVD's from a 'reputable' store but later had suspicions of them being unlicensed copies) , so don't class myself with the likes of yourself please.

Now let's have someone pipe in with the old 'it takes the money away from the artists' hyperbole.... that's traditionally been the scope of management.

A TRUE artiste is more concerned about having their art/wares, heard/seen/used/enjoyed, than any financial benefit derived from it.

edit on C2016vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 22 Feb 2016 01:38:00 -060029AM1America/Chicago2 by CovertAgenda because: last bit added

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: jackjoedoe

I may steal a movies in your eyes but you are stealing oxygen. For a theft crime to be committed someone has to have lost something, they never lost a dime with me because I would never buy their crap in the first place. I remember the time I wasted going to the video store and rent dvd's only to watch the first 20 minutes of it and turn the junk off, they stole my time so where is my recompense ? none because I belong to the slave class and we have less rights every year.

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Whats the difference if I go over to a friends house to watch a tv show on HBO? Am I stealing by not paying for cable but going to my friends house to watch it? But if you download something to watch it its evil and a crime. Stupid. Sooner or later everything will be online. There will be no cable. But I can see someone downloading stuff and selling it for profit as stealing because your making a profit doing it. But just watching something online you downloaded seems a bit silly. Maybe it wouldn't be so problematic if cable wasn't so expensive!

posted on Feb, 22 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: texasyeti

Here is the conundrum...selling pirated material is the problem and if you go through the Perth Airport with suit cases full of pirate movies from Bali the customs just let it on through. Its not seen by the authorities as criminal, the criminal act is the one selling so why don't the Hollywood Reptiles go after them ? its easy to go after the low hanging fruit and get the courts to sort it out and hire a lawyer.

Indonesian Authorities would laugh till next year if they were asked for the metadata of the Balinese Pirates. Go after the sellers and not the users, its pretty simple. If you let the methlabs go and just jailed the junkies then the problem still exists of the illegal drug supply.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join