It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FHE-400 Bra'dor, 60+ knot warship.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I don't know whether this ship is common knowledge or not but it definately was interesting. My Grandfather was involed with this project in the 60's-70's and he was amazed by this craft. It is a hydrofoil that it's hull raises out of the water with speed and coarses on it foils.

While the Bra'dor didn't get past the experimental stage it was an amazing ship that could achieve in excess of 60 knots with manouverabillity. More on this ship here, just scroll past the intro:

www.foils.org...

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Watched something on this on the History Channel this weekend. They reported that the US dropped all its hydrofoil programs to further other programs. They actually stated that there aren’t any in service still. With today’s “stealth” mentality they just didn’t make any sense.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
It seems the chinese are persuing the idea with their new missile boat

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
The chinese boat looks a nice design, looks like they have tried to incorporate stealth technology into it with the faceted design.

Whats the situation with hydrofoils in respect of acoustic signature? I would imagine them to be very noisy. Is this the case?

Spacemunkey

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
It seems the chinese are persuing the idea with their new missile boat

There is no hydrofoil technology on this boat. The hullform is that of a wave piercing cat similar to a lot of modern high speed ferries.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The US Navy had the Pegasus Class hydrofoils

external image

For more on the Pegasus class check out Pegasus Gallery

and Global Security Pegasus Page

For Hydrofoils in general check out The International Hydrofoil Society

The Pegasus class were the Navy's fastest ships when foilborne and driven by their single gas turbine. They had good range on their diesels, excellent seakeeping qualities, amazingly fast response to requirements for speed, and a potent punch. Since becoming operational, they established an unusually high availability rate while participating in a variety of missions, including significant involvement in the national drug interdiction program.

The six vessels of Patrol Combatant Missile Hydrofoil Squadron 2 traveled in formation en route to Naval Amphibious Base, Little Creek, Va. for decommissioning in June 1993.

Mod Edit: Reduced image size

[edit on 12-1-2005 by dbates]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Quote"This was not to say that BRAS D'OR did not encounter rough water! According to Michael Eames, who describes highlights of these trials in his paper cited above, HMCS FRASIER, a 3,000-ton frigate sailing in company during a rough water trial sent a signal as follows: "Weather conditions were considered most unpleasant, heavy seas and 15-20 ft swell, wind gusting to 60 knots, ship spraying overall with upper deck (of FRASIER) out of bounds most of the time. BRAS D'OR appeared to possess enviable seakeeping qualities. She was remarkably stable with a noticeable absence of roll and pitch, and apparently no lack of maneuverability. The almost complete absence of spray over the fo'c's'le and bridge was very impressive."

My first question was "How would it fair in rough seas?"

Cool.

My second question was "This looks more east coast?"

Cool.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
My first question was "How would it fair in rough seas?"

Cool.

A good question. It won't be answered though, like the Arrow it got canned.

My second question was "This looks more east coast?"

Cool.

Yup, it was East Coast, out of Halifax. My Grandfather worked on it.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucretius

could give direct links?

(The data area passed to a system call is too small.)

to the page with the ships

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

The 6 the US Navy had were built in Bremerton WA and ported out of Key West Fl. They were all since decommed. They were very expensive to run and keep afloat.

But they sailed like a dream, my now ex was stationed as the working support group when they were being built and then we moved with them to Key West. When on thier foils they could turn on a dime. Very impressive to ride and watch.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
this is a nasty little ship also

english.pravda.ru...

new topics

top topics

join