It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should i join the army?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I am not so afraid of killing people as i am say, being thought of as someone who murders. I know that the rest of the world doesn't think too highly of american soldiers. But, anyway, i stink at sports so i was thinking about more of a technical career in the marines, or army. besides, i have two years to think about it right?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I am not so afraid of killing people as i am say, being thought of as someone who murders. I know that the rest of the world doesn't think too highly of american soldiers. But, anyway, i stink at sports so i was thinking about more of a technical career in the marines, or army. besides, i have two years to think about it right?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Yup, you got lots of time. Concentrate on your studies for the time being. If you decide to sign up after, then having good grades and better qualificiations will certainly give you a leg up anywhere, even in the army.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer

Well Tom, killing another Human being isnt something to take lightly,no matter what the circumstances are. You are never the same afterwards. But even if you take a tech job you will still be a Soldier or Marine first and will still be called on to perform your duties as such sooner or later.
You have two years to make the choice, or perhaps the choice will be made for you if the US ever returns the draft, just remember that being a Soldier is more than just a job, its a way of life and your choice will follow you for the rest of your life.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I really am unable to tell you whether or not you should join the army. But what I feel compelled to tell you is that you should be certain that you have the proper reasons for joining if that is your ultimate decision. First, and perhaps foremost, is that joining the military is, in a sense, a vocation. Even if you aren't going to be a "lifer" and decide to join for a single stint of duty, you are doing so with the vow that you will serve! The army is NOT an alternative to a regular job in society. If you are called to go into battle, you can't suddenly decide that this is not what you enlisted to do. As a soldier, you must be mentally, emotionally and philosophically prepared to be a soldier. You may be called upon to go into battle and take lives. You have to be prepared to stay the distance and not get up and go AWOL.

If you aren't prepared to be a soldier and stay the course and keep you solemn oath, then go get a job flipping burgers. You'll be happier.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

As an american citizen, and a student in high school, i want to discuss the ups and downs of enlisting when i graduate in two years. I am not saying i definately will, but it seems like a half decent option, (furthering my education by learning to kill people that is) and i am seriously thinking about it.

Yeah think about what happens if you die at the beggining of your education, i am not saying its a bad idea but there are draw backs.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Sure, alot of american soldiers get killed, but i am alot less afraid of dieing than i am of killing. I can accept mortallaty. Well, i just want to take a second to explain my situation on the school front. I just don't think that school is my thing. It makes me get bored and unmotivated. my chances of going to a good collage are pretty slim, and i don't want to end up flipping burgers for the rest of my life. The army, for instance intrests me and i can choose my carreer in the armed forces and get out with job experiance. instead of spending my life as a bum, i thought i would enlist and get off of my backside. you know, do something with my life. I want to see the world. Not that the armed forces was designed as an all expence paid vacation, but i get to leave this poor excuse for a country. By the way, i have no intention of being a hero, or being patriotic. If i do this, it is for me, and me only.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite
Well Sawyer,
I do want to join the army and I planned it out well I think. Heres my plan. First I will get involved in sports and study German as much as possible in High School. After that I will Major in German and minor in business. With any luck I will finish school and join the army where I will try to be based in Germany.

If you can try to get in through language or music. Those are the best non combat positions.

If you are in the US military and stationed in Germany, there is no reason to learn German (unless the language intriges you). You will only stay in Germany for 2 years if you're single and 3 if you're married. If you want to stay longer you can. All Germans must take English in school so, no matter where you go you will always run into someone with whom you can communicate with.

If you're learning German in college just because you plan on spending a few years over here, I would advise to study a more profitable subject.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I minored in German...but for more applicable purposes, and also b/c I just enjoy the language so much...

But if learning German is something you're worried about...and you want to join the military...then have no fears - If the military wants you to learn German, they'll teach it to you....They have one of the best language programs this world has to offer...

Unless you plan on a career in written/oral translation or analysis of the German language (literature, linguistics, etc...) then I'd focus more on a major that you can apply to a broader spectrum in the future, as rancid1 suggested....

Several reasons:
(1) You can request the army to give you orders to a certain location, but I promise you it'll be 1/10 chance you'll go to where you wanna go - My father requested Germany and even Hawaii several times....

We did finally go to Germany in my freshman year of high school (where I began to take German) but they have to have a purpose to place you there...otherwise you're sent to where you're most needed....

So I wouldn't make college plans based on the whim of your dream military orders...Germany is a beautiful place, but chances are slim that's where they'd send ya packing...

(2) Unless you've begun taking German in high school, or have had a great deal of exposure to the language in your youth, a four-year degree is not going to teach you German....You're going to come out of college with a 6 year old's understanding of the language...you may not get assigned to Germany, and if you do, it'll be a few years after college, you'll have forgotten most of your German and it'll be like starting from scratch trying to pick up the language...

I only say this b/c as I said, I minored in German - which means I was in classes with German majors, and masters/doctorial students - all of whom will tell you that unless you've lived over there or have certain plans to, a degree in German is almost useless....

But that's just some advice from someone who's been there and done that...I considered the very same thing you are....But if my father wasn't in the military, and if I hadn't been over to Germany and experienced the mass confusion of trying to carry a conversation on in German, only to have the native speaker switch to English and ruin my chance at practice...lol...then I would have maybe gone down the same path...

Of course, if you can find a way to apply a degree in German that doesn't involve hoping that the military sends you there, then that's great....The field of translation is a very prosperous one...and fun too, if you're a dork like me...lol

BTW....FSU has a great foreign language program that ties really well into their Overseas programs!

Check it out...

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well I take German, Latin and French so if German doesnt work out no worries

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Ja, ich sprecke Deutsch,(I can speek 2nd year german). But i don't want to live in germany

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Invest in a clean and pressed uniform for inspection, as well as shined footware. Do not use this uniform ever for any other purpose. Nothing will kill you more quickly in the military than failing to satisfy "Mickey Mouse," who returned with a vengeance during the 1980s.

Next make certain you strengthen your immune system with Vitamins, research this, you will have to face vacinnation, that includes mercury and who knows what adulterated components. Remember, your government cares more about profiting defense contractors than doing anything for you, you are totally expendible. Make certain you do not tell anyone that fact while you are enlisted, and even after you are honorably discharged, since doing so may be functionally fatal due to unknown future reserve calls. Also keep a supply of chelation products such as chlorella to get rid of the mercury in the vaccines, but also as at least some measure of decontamination of depleted uranium nano-dust you will breathe in third world open nuclear landfills such as Iraq.

If you have any social skills, try to get assigned to assist senior officers, learn how to play golf, but do not win too many games while projecting the illusion you are doing your best. Playing Golf in the military has its benefits, but there are critical thresholds doing it. Consider it an insurance policy, as would be other things such as membership in various organizations such as the Council on Foreign Relations. At least subscribe to the publication Foreign Affairs, and join other organizations so you may pave the path to becoming a defense contractor later in life. Make certain your revolving door is into something profitable, rather than where you cannot take your wealth with you.

Other than all this make sure the recruiters put all benefits in writing on a contractual basis, since recruiters do not necessarily tell you the truth about all the wonderful things they will do for you. Nail down your Veteren's benefits in a regular military hospital rather than a VA hospital, since too many Veteran's have to die later in life, with maggots up their nose due to a broken system. Remember again that if a defense contractor can make two more cents on anything, that the Defense Department will make your life expendible to the tunes of millions they will never pay you.

Other than that lock your contract in triplicate in several different places, including a bank lockbox, and contract with legal services to insure compliance.

And have a nice time in your primary mission, breaking things, killing people, and enriching extremely few people in our world who care nothing about you or anyone else. If you play your cards right, your military experience may allow you to dip well into those deep pockets legally after you retire from your military life.

[edit on 13-1-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Hey SkipShipman a little bitter are we?? lol

Don't forget that you must be very physically fit. Military people seem to think if you can jog 13 miles with a 40lb ruck on your back you're destined to be a general. I don't get how physical fittness can be confused with leadership qualities?!! hmmm..

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I run cross country. I realistically could train to run thirteen miles with a 40 pound ruck sack, but it would be hell to do while i am still in highschool. Are you saying i should put myself through that before i join, so i can do better when i do enlist?

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I run cross country. I realistically could train to run thirteen miles with a 40 pound ruck sack, but it would be hell to do while i am still in highschool. Are you saying i should put myself through that before i join, so i can do better when i do enlist?

Always train up before you go, it makes it hurt less and gives a better chance of getting in.

BTW If you want to join are you prepared to kill?
Prepared to put yourself before the mission?
Prepared to live in a ditch for 3 or 4 days with nothing but you BDU's on?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join